Backing Up/E-Mailing yWriter and Scrivener Projects

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Recently due to computer issues, I've had to start backing up my files. When working on my first drafts I normally write in either Scrivener or yWriter. However, due the way these programs and files are set up, backing up/e-mailing yourself projects isn't like doing a single word document, meaning you can't just send yourself only the project file and then have it. If you just send the project file, at least with yWriter, it will not open. How would I send myself/back up these files then? I would try the folder but I wanted to ask before I did anything. I didn't want to mess anything up.

Thanks

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Compact to .rar/.zip/.7z
Send the .rar/.zip/.7z file
Extract later

Download the 30day trial of Winrar (and use it otherwise, just exit out of the "trial has ended" window and continue work). Or, get 7zip.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Is "Send to....Compressed Folder" fine? That's what comes up on my laptop (one of the computers I'm using). And just to be sure, I do the entire folder correct?

Also when I'm switching between computers like this, do I need to delete the previous file (not the previous one in the share-thing or whatever, the one in the Documents folder)?

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Right click whole folder
Add to archive
Ok
Go to Email
Send .rar (should be in the same folder as original folder)
On other computer
Upload .rar (save)
Right click file
Extract to
Ok
Full file should be in the same folder.

Hope this helps.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Also when I'm switching between computers like this, do I need to delete the previous file (not the previous one in the share-thing or whatever, the one in the Documents folder)?

----

And it does help. I'll see if I can find Winrar for my other computer.

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
In yWriter a project consists of a primary YW5 file and a set of scene content files (in RTF format)

You need to pack them all together before you send them anywhere, but YW has a built-in feature to do this.

Just click Tools - Backups - Backup entire project and it will create an archive file for you.

The current version of yWriter also has 'Tools - Backups - Backup to email' which does the same thing and then sends the file to your chosen recipient. I remember adding this feature but I don't remember whether I got it working yet!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score

wat?

You don't need to delete anything if you don't want to. Winrar makes a copy and compresses it so that's easier to send. The original file is untouched.

And it does help. I'll see if I can find Winrar for my other computer.

I keep both Winrar and 7zip on all my computers. Winrar is a easy program to keep on a computer. (Just when that "please purchase Winrar license" pops up, exit out of the little box. It's a fault they have in the system, but doesn't stop you from using it).
7zip is free, harder to use and has it's own compression file .7z (which almost no one uses).

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
You don't need to delete anything if you don't want to. Winrar makes a copy and compresses it so that's easier to send. The original file is untouched.

Sorry. I worded my question strangely. I think I have figured out myself. But here it goes.

For example:

Let's say I compress it as a .rar file and send it to my email address or my storage place. Well, later I decide that I want to write something on a different computer in that same file. So, I open it, on the other computer get some written, and when I'm done, send myself another e-mail or update my storage thingy. Now, when I switch back to the other computer I use, in order to the see the latest version of my WIP, the one with the latest word count, for the sake of less confusion, would I or wouldn't I delete the previous file, containing the non-new/latest word count, then download and unzip(or open, I forgot the exact word for Winrar) the one in the storage file/e-mail attachment?

I hope that clears up my question a little. Sorry again. :) I mean I think I have it figured out though. So, thanks for that.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I worded my question strangely. I think I have figured out myself. But here it goes.

For example:

Let's say I compress it as a .rar file and send it to my email address or my storage place. Well, later I decide that I want to write something on a different computer in that same file. So, I open it, on the other computer get some written, and when I'm done, send myself another e-mail or update my storage thingy. Now, when I switch back to the other computer I use, in order to the see the latest version of my WIP, the one with the latest word count, for the sake of less confusion, would I or wouldn't I delete the previous file, containing the non-new/latest word count, then download and unzip(or open, I forgot the exact word for Winrar) the one in the storage file/e-mail attachment?

I hope that clears up my question a little. Sorry again. :) I mean I think I have it figured out though. So, thanks for that.

So you'd like to update this file and transfer it along.

Only a Briefcase will do that. But it has it's limitations of being kept only on one media files.

Example: You have a flash drive. You put a briefcase in it and copy your documents over to it. You can hit "update all" to update the files from that computer to that briefcase. And what you do with the flash drive is what you wish.

So you're trying to keep everything updated along the computers? Some services will do that for you, but are too expensive/complicated to even bother with.

I would say to just update the files as much as possible. Best if you can get a flash drive for moving from computer to computer. Keep the flash drive as your main documents drive (back up as much as possible).

Other than that, you just need to copy and replace the files.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Other than that, you just need to copy and replace the files.

I'll just do that. I already have some back up sites(e-mails, SugarSync, Dropbox, and Minus). :) I just have yet to get a flash drive for my personal writing. (I have one for college/school, and I would prefer not to use that one, if I could, for writing despite currently being on vacation.)

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
Don't use Dropbox with yWriter, not directly. Dropbox is nowhere near fast enough to save out a yWriter project, and it's caused major headaches in the past. (Trust me, I've seen all the support emails)

Instead, copy your project to dropbox after closing down ywriter. At the other end, copy the project off dropbox to the local machine before you try and open it.

sekime

Writing and learning
Registered
Reaction score
For Scrivener, I save directly to Dropbox and backup to another folder. The only downside to this, you shouldn't ever have a project open on two computers at the same time, or things get wonky.

Allway Sync is also a good program to backing up. It's also free.

http://allwaysync.com/

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
For Scrivener, I save directly to Dropbox and backup to another folder. The only downside to this, you shouldn't ever have a project open on two computers at the same time, or things get wonky.

Allway Sync is also a good program to backing up. It's also free.

http://allwaysync.com/

Thanks.I'll look into that program too. :)

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
Hi, you should definitely check out dropbox. This is what I use for my Scrivener Projects. Even wrote an article on why I recommend Dropbox over other syncing tools - you are welcome to check it out here.

Sugarsync is also good, but not as simple as Dropbox.

Instructions for Scrivener: With Dropbox, simply move the ENTIRE save folder for your Scrivener work into Dropbox folder easily. Then just tell Scrivener to open the project from Dropbox. You can message me if you would like to know how to do this.

Instructions for yWriter: Copy the project file into Dropbox folder of your choice. Backup done :)