30 year anniversary of Ian Curtis' passing

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
What would music today be if he hadn't died so soon? And how could he not when you make something as powerful as Closer?

:cry:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I loved him when he was alive and I still love him today. Ageless music. Man...what a loss!

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
What would music today be if he hadn't died so soon?

Just as good or bad as it is now, depending on what you listen to and your tastes.

There is no doubt that Joy Division's legacy has been immense and I still listen and enjoy them today. The Editors and Interpol resonate with JD's style. But in turn JD were influenced by Iggy Pop and the Stooges, et al. One example: You only have to listen to "Dirt" and then "Auto-Suggestion" to see the similarities.

By the way, Peter Hook once said in a TV interview that Joy Division could maybe have been as big as U2. But life is littered with "maybes".

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
But life is littered with "maybes".

So true.

It is amazing to me though that after so many years, so many bands still refer to JD as being an important influence, considering their short life.

Kevin, did you ever get to see them live?

I was too young for that. I did have the opportunity to visit Ian's grave though, which was very nice. And of course I listen to them. A lot.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About a year ago, I was at a playground with my kids. Nearby, I saw another child - maybe nine or ten years old - wearing a Joy Division t-shirt - Ian Curtis' likeness covered most of the front. It was a strange moment.

My favorite JD songs vary, but Dead Souls, Decades, and Day of the Lords are the mainstays.