Slush pile... really!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Am I nuts? I would love to be a slush reader. I must be totally insane...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

No, you aren't nuts. You just haven't been a slush reader yet. From my experience, it doesn't usually take very long for disillusionment to set in, especially with novel length slush. In true slush, it's very easy to go months without finding anything worth reading, let alone worth publishing.

It's something like accentance and rejection in writing, especially short story writing Getting an acceptance is thrilling, but if you get five hundred rejections in a row for every acceptance, even that one acceptance doesn't wash the bad taste out of your mouth.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I admit the idea appealed to me for about 10 seconds, but then I think back to the science fair projects I've judged, the scientific papers I've reviewed, etc, and making that decision of yea or nay is not too terribly rewarding, especially in light of the time it takes.

I could see myself spending way too long on the first few and then not enough on the last few before I burned out and refused to do any more.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I admit the idea appealed to me for about 10 seconds, but then I think back to the science fair projects I've judged, the scientific papers I've reviewed, etc, and making that decision of yea or nay is not too terribly rewarding, especially in light of the time it takes.

I could see myself spending way too long on the first few and then not enough on the last few before I burned out and refused to do any more.

Most start reading slush with teh intention or reading everything, and probably plqanning to tell each and every writer what they did right or wrong.

After a few days, you give up both notions, and after a couple of weeks, or months, you find some system that lets you live with the job, but I've met only a couple of editors in my life who enjoy reading slush at all.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I might be wrong on this, but I think I read that if you have an error-free, business-tone (meaning no "Hey, Editor!"-type stuff) cover letter or query, you're in the 5%. The rest of the 95% is an instant rejection.

So picture that slush pile, take away 95% of it, and there your letter is. Still a lot of others in the running though.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a million! It proves to me that to get published, one must stand out above the herd.

Sure. Fortunately, standing out is not at all difficult. But there is a little more to it. Standing out gets you in the top five percent or so. This means your book gets read, you may get some very good rejections, etc. But depending on where you try to get published, you have to be in the top one percent at best, and often in the top one tenth of one percent, or better.

It's getting from two, three four, or five percent down inside that one percent mark that's really tough.

Greg Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gregoryawilson.com
I might be wrong on this, but I think I read that if you have an error-free, business-tone (meaning no "Hey, Editor!"-type stuff) cover letter or query, you're in the 5%. The rest of the 95% is an instant rejection.

So picture that slush pile, take away 95% of it, and there your letter is.

Exactly. And since that slush pile picture has been making the rounds since 2002, I would hope it's at least changed shape by now. ;)

Ava Glass

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. And since that slush pile picture has been making the rounds since 2002, I would hope it's at least changed shape by now. ;)

That explains a lot. I was about to ask why it is a paper pile.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Most start reading slush with teh intention or reading everything, and probably plqanning to tell each and every writer what they did right or wrong.

I'm an evil bitch... I'd happily read the first two sentences and toss until I got to a halfway decent hook. :p

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
That explains a lot. I was about to ask why it is a paper pile.
But there are still many publishers of books and magazines who request a full via postal service. And then there are those who print out the attachments from the emails.

Either way, whether virtual or hardcopy, the slush piles are huge.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I think this picture sums them up quite nicely.

slushpiledemotivatormay08_normal.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.