Русскй язык

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
I belong to the last generation of Poles, who had Russian as an obligatory language at primary school. It was considered a sign of an oppression, but I'm glad I can read Cyrillic and listen to Vysotskij.

And also...
Ya pomnyu chudnoye mgnavyenye...
Pyeredo mnoy yavilas ti...
Kak mimolotnye mgnavyenye...
Kak geniy tchistoy krasaty!

Izhitsa

Registered
Reaction score
Pushkin's 'marvellous moment', it appears, is for all time!

Forcing someone to study Russian may well be regarded as an imposition; I believe mine is a hard language to study, even for a willing learner.

I hold Vysotsky in high esteem too.

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
just saying a quick hello on this old thread.
Ya is Kharkova, esli kto znaet.

Deizelcore

This is not a user title
Registered
Reaction score
Я из Латвии, отмечусь ради галочки. Вообще русско-говорящих здесь много, однако пишут (практически) все на английском => лучше найти другой форум найти если желание общаться с русскими авторами.

(в пунктуации могут быть серьезные ошибки, я по привычке ставлю их как в англ. языке)

Izhitsa

Registered
Reaction score
Я из Латвии, отмечусь ради галочки. Вообще русско-говорящих здесь много, однако пишут (практически) все на английском => лучше найти другой форум найти если желание общаться с русскими авторами.
I should imagine so.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Today I noticed a lot of traffic coming to my blog through a Russian site. It's a site about New Year's Day and mostly in English, but doing a search I found the link to my blog -- in Russian.
Can anyone translate?
Сообщения, соответствующие запросу Aruna Sharan, отсутствуют. Показать все сообщения

Also, I don't get it: that Russian link above refers back to the same site it's on; there seems to be no direct link to my blog. Yet my stats page says the source is that blog.

ETA: it seems a lot of bloggers are getting it, see the comments on this thread: http://new-year-day-2012.blogspot.c...howComment=1325407075300#c2736264975974278163

But all it's doing is driving traffic to me; nobody has actually spammed the blog. Weird/

Last edited:

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Hi, aruna,

The Russian phrase is a technical message. It says, more or less,

The search term Aruna Sharan produced no results in messages. Show all messages.

It's a mystery to me too, but quite often I follow search results to a site just like you did only to find out that the keywords I entered are nowhere to be seen.

AnneMayfair

Registered
Reaction score
Всем привет из Москвы! Я рада, что нашла этот форум и хочу сразу сказать, что готова оказывать помощь авторам, не говорящим по-русски, с любыми проблемами, которые могут в связи с этим возникнуть.
Greetings from Moscow, everyone! I'm very glad that I've found this forum and I want to say that I'm ready to help non-Russian authors (or authors that simply don't speak Russian at all) with any kind of problems you might have.
Always ready for meeting fellow authors!

Auroch

Banned
Reaction score
А я тоже изучил русски язык, и работал в Россию, Украйню, и Беларусь. Я Канадец, и там работал как преподаватель английского языка.

Давно что я писал что нибуд на русском языке. Хочу ещё раз начинаться учить.

Tex

Registered
Reaction score
А я тоже изучил русски язык, и работал в Россию, Украйню, и Беларусь. Я Канадец, и там работал как преподаватель английского языка.

Давно что я писал что нибуд на русском языке. Хочу ещё раз начинаться учить.

А я тоже учил русский язык и работал в России, на Украине и в Белоруссии. Я канадец, и работал там преподавателем английского языка.

Давно я не писал чего-нибудь на русском языке (или по-русски). Хочу еще раз начать его учить.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I should imagine so.

Deiselcore and Izhitsa, if indeed you're looking for a Russian-language writing forum, the best one is hosted by Russia's EKSMO publishing house. It's very serious and professional, discussing more or less the same issues, and you can find it here:

EKSMO Forum

Bricta

Registered
Reaction score
Привет! Я тоже говорю по-русский, но это не мой первый язык. Я занималась русским языком в университете за года 3 или 4. Поэтому, я делаю наверно много ошибок.

WritingIsHard

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a native Russian speaker, so if anyone here needs help with Russian for their writing, feel free to ask. Always happy to feel like I'm smarter than other people ;)

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
Privet!

I'm not Russian...in fact I don't know any Russian at all, but I'm Bulgarian and the languages are similar, so I understand a lot of it :D

memoriadeclarativa

Registered
Reaction score
http://etimologias.dechile.net/?eslavo

Castilian (Spanish) is an indoeuropean language too. My father, who was Russian and mastered six languages, used to say laughing that Castilian was a deficient version of Russian, giving me the following examples:

XItSN.jpg

Russo-speakers, were you aware of this similitude?

quill10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Could your help me with these questions?

1. Is Lomonosov Moscow State University now called Moscow State University?

2. At what age did children start to go to school in 1940s?

3. In 1950s, did most of the residents in Moscow live in houses or apartments?

Many thanks for your help!

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi All,

Could your help me with these questions?

1. Is Lomonosov Moscow State University now called Moscow State University?

2. At what age did children start to go to school in 1940s?

3. In 1950s, did most of the residents in Moscow live in houses or apartments?

Many thanks for your help!

Hi Quill10,

Sorry, I've been away from AWWC for a while :)

1. It's officially called Lomonosov Moscow State University. But anyone's free to drop Lomonosov's name in colloquial speech. Native speakers usually call it MGU, short for Moscow State University.

2. In 1940, children started school at 8 years old. In 1944, school age was changed to start at 7. Please note that from 1939 until 1956, high school, college and university education in the USSR were fee-based. It wasn't too expensive though: about 10% of an average family's income. But you still had to pay to continue your studies.

3. In 1950s, the overwhelming majority of Muscovites lived in apartments. It was normal practice in the USSR, and still is in Russia. In those days, an average "private house" was (and often still is these days if you don't count new Russians' posh villas) a very basic and dilapidated affair, usually a log cabin, often without any plumbing or proper heating (but it always had electricity and a radio outlet). Living in such a 'house" and not in a "proper" apartment that had central heating, hot water and indoor toilets, was considered a sign of utter misery and bad fortune :) As for proper stone private houses of well-off Russians, after the revolution of 1917 they were all changed into apartments to house dozens of families (a family per room,usually) and the old owners were either left one room to live in, or arrested and evicted. So most pre-1917 private houses were turned into apartments, too. When high-standing Soviet Russians wanted to have a private house, this was what an out-of-town "dacha" (a holiday house) was for. They could be true mansions with servants, all for one family. But most such dachas were state-owned and once their temporary owner retired or otherwise lost his post, the family lost their right to live there and the dacha was passed over to his successor.

But in cities, even the poshest Soviet Russians lived in apartments - often elaborate with a great many rooms and servants, but apartments nevertheless.

Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

Draconess25

My Own Goddess
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! :p

I don't speak any Russian, but I'm 1/8 on my mom's side. I need help figuring the meaning of her maiden name: Grincavich. My Granny says it used to be spelled Grincovich, but I'm not sure if she's right or if one letter even makes a difference. I can't find any information using either spelling except for stuff about my family. It's been bugging me for awhile. Also, how would it be written in Cyrillic?

Thanks to anyone who can help! Dx

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Could be spelled: Гринкевич -- in Cryllic. Though it's technically spelled Grinkevich. I'm not fluent in Russian, but am interested in the language. And can sort of understand the alphabet.