The EU cheese crisis

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like this could be resolved by agreeing that all Parmesan cheese made in the US would have to be labeled "US Parmesan", and only Parmesan from Parma can be labeled straight-up "Parmesan". That way, it would be clear to consumers that this stuff isn't authentic Parmesan, but it wouldn't be as confusing as switching to a whole different name either.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or US Hard Cheese like we do with non-Parmesan cheeses over here. The name sounds vague but shelf placement usually works as a good indicator.

I feel like that might get confusing if the ban covers most cheeses, including Gorgonzola, feta, Asiago, Muenster, and so on. Or maybe I'm just being a slow-witted consumer, hur.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
More EU silliness, although I agree about the US versions being poor imitations. Sorry, guys, but you can't make good cheese. :D

I've had the Yorkshire feta, it was bloody gorgeous.

I think US versions of particular cheeses can be poor imitations, if bought in bulk from a mass producer. But some of the artisanal cheeses here... heaven. I say this as a cheese connoisseur who has named her two dogs after cheese: (Gorgon)Zola and Brin (d'Amour). :)

Local favorite is the Cowgirl Creamery's Red Hawk, a triple creme flavored with a bacteria local to Marin county that accidentally contaminated a batch of their flagship cheese.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Blacbird on the Maytag, but I do love me some gen-u-ine Stilton too. Good cheese is good cheese. Bad cheese isn't, regardless of where it's made. Lately I've been enjoying a three year old Australian Cheddar. Certainly not English, but delicious nonetheless.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I really like Black Diamond Canadian Extra Old cheddar, but for some reason it's been impossible to find the last year or so.
Haven't had Black Diamond for awhile, but I always enjoyed it. Still, you can find other cheddars you might like as well. There are some lovely Irish cheddars, for example, and the above Australian one. I'm fortunate to work near a store which has a large US and international selection of cheeses. I'm sure Chicago can do as well if not better. Cheese is truly one of the foods of the gods. Damn shame it's full of fat and calories.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like this could be resolved by agreeing that all Parmesan cheese made in the US would have to be labeled "US Parmesan", and only Parmesan from Parma can be labeled straight-up "Parmesan". That way, it would be clear to consumers that this stuff isn't authentic Parmesan, but it wouldn't be as confusing as switching to a whole different name either.
This reminds me of the 'Yes, Minister' episode on the sausage crisis.

The crisis was that, under E.U rules, sausages that British manufacturers were making were such poor quality that they weren't legally allowed to be called 'sausages' in the E.U --

Bernard: “They can’t stop us eating the British sausage, can they?”

Hacker: “No, but they can stop us calling it a sausage. Apparently it’s got to be called the Emulsified High-Fat Offal Tube.”

The good news is that he solved the problem -- by renaming "Emulsified High-Fat Offal Tube" to be "The British Sausage".

Mac