Heads Up: Harper Voyager calls for unagented submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I think we've all seen that they've still got lots of reading to do and probably won't be in touch for a while.

I keep checking in everyday to see what's what :)

merchantIV

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Something tells me they're going to get through at least a couple hundred manuscripts before they start sending out more notices. We'll probably hear something in the next couple of weeks.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score

CatherineS

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but I picture the poor interns huddling in their darkened, unheated, soulless little closet-sized flats, drinking RedBull and vodka and praying for the juice to come on so they can plug in their Kindles. We no longer live in the days of battered manuscripts lying in stacks.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
No, no we don't but they can load up their ipads and kindles before they leave the office. They can work off line then and kindle has its own power supply that should last for 24 hours. So long as they don't play games or watch a movie they have already downloaded...

CatherineS

Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah. Exactly. I live with several people addicted to those items and the batt doesn't last all that long when playing MineCraft and Facebooking and watching every episode of Prison Break known to mankind. LOL

AbsoluteKoala

Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah. Exactly. I live with several people addicted to those items and the batt doesn't last all that long when playing MineCraft and Facebooking and watching every episode of Prison Break known to mankind. LOL

I've heard the same thing about Facebooking and watching endless episodes of The Walking Dead. It's purely anecdotal of course.

Sochitelya

Crankypants
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to note that HV updated with this to answer questions about Katherine Harbour:

ETA: We have received a number of questions about our recent acquisition of Katherine Harbour’s THORN JACK trilogy. To confirm, Katherine submitted THORN JACK to the Harper Voyager submissions herself. She was unagented during the submission. Thao Le at the Sandy Dijkstra Agency had previously worked with Katherine on revisions and has now negotiated the global Harper Voyager deal. She is representing Katherine for all unsold rights and future projects. The Voyager digital submissions are for unagented submissions (we receive many agented submissions that are handled completely independently from these submissions), but potential authors may certainly seek representation if they are offered publication.

I'm still pretty much a newbie to the whole agent/publisher thing, but that thing about Thao Le helping her with revisions but not being her agent seems weird to me. Does anyone have an explanation?

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Just wanted to note that HV updated with this to answer questions about Katherine Harbour:

I'm still pretty much a newbie to the whole agent/publisher thing, but that thing about Thao Le helping her with revisions but not being her agent seems weird to me. Does anyone have an explanation?
Who knows.

Personally I dont care, long as HV are dishing out deals.

And will hopefully dish out more....

;)

I dont think there's an ethical issue here either way. HV publish novels, people submit novels, occasionally one (or three) are picked up.

td333777

Registered
Reaction score
It's not uncommon when submitting to agents to get an R&R response from one (revise and resubmit); an agent is interested in your work but feels that it needs changes before the agent offers representation. The agent suggests edits in structure, characters, plot, etc., and then gives you the opportunity to work on them and resubmit the edited manuscript. If they like the new version, they then offer to represent it. Harbour probably got an R&R from Le, and in the process of working on those changes (which sometimes take months if the agent recommends substantial edits) took a shot at the Harper Voyager open submission window, like the rest of us. When HV contacted her with enthusiasm, it's an easy email to Le (who is already familiar with the work) and an even easier sale for the agent. Slam dunk.

Sochitelya

Crankypants
Registered
Reaction score
It's not uncommon when submitting to agents to get an R&R response from one (revise and resubmit); an agent is interested in your work but feels that it needs changes before the agent offers representation. The agent suggests edits in structure, characters, plot, etc., and then gives you the opportunity to work on them and resubmit the edited manuscript. If they like the new version, they then offer to represent it. Harbour probably got an R&R from Le, and in the process of working on those changes (which sometimes take months if the agent recommends substantial edits) took a shot at the Harper Voyager open submission window, like the rest of us. When HV contacted her with enthusiasm, it's an easy email to Le (who is already familiar with the work) and an even easier sale for the agent. Slam dunk.

Ah, thank you. That makes sense. I wasn't trying to imply that HV or Harbour or anyone did anything unethical, I just didn't understand an agent taking the time to advise on revisions when they're not representing.

Specialfae

Coffee understands
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thank you. That makes sense. I wasn't trying to imply that HV or Harbour or anyone did anything unethical, I just didn't understand an agent taking the time to advise on revisions when they're not representing.

I was sure there was a reason I didn't understand, but I was also confused, so ditto on the thank you.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the eerie silence Nick?

Well, NY has known about this storm coming all week so perhaps HV was clearing the deck for their authors who are already under contract and saving the reads for this weekend.

I suspect Monday/Tuesday, the rejections will start flowing again?

I could be wrong though...

Specialfae

Coffee understands
Registered
Reaction score
I just found this post on HV's facebook page, it's from friday:

"Here in NYC, we’re trying to avoid being snowed in for too long, so that means gathering up all the supplies one needs in order to Read More"

So hopefully they got a lot of reading done, but that also means that next week might be pretty busy reply wise

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I figured as much, but I think their reference to reading was more to do with the recent books they put out since they named titles. Still, it does not mean they are not reading submissions as well.

Not sure why, but I dread Tuesday more than Monday. We will see...

Status
Not open for further replies.