Not open for further replies.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
To my understanding this issue in using it correctly is that the actions have to be simultaneous. The best example is like this:

Fred unlocked the door, letting himself out of the room.

It is not physically possible for Fred to unlock the door and let himself out of the room simultaneously.

Fred scrambled to find the wrench, cussing at his clumsiness.

He can curse and scramble at the same time.

Past or present this is true - the two verbs have to be simultaneous. So she can reach into her pocket and reassure herself at the same time.

What about:

Opening the door, Fred let himself out.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm.. Did he have long enough arms to get through the small window, around the corner and up to the doorhandle?

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hmmm.. Did he have long enough arms to get through the small window, around the corner and up to the doorhandle?

:roll: Multitasking lithe limbs through eye-watering slots and holes, around corners and up hills, he escaped. Maybe.... :D

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
It's easier for the reader to understand a possibly foggy connection if the word in question applies to one but not the other noun. A word like "reassure" really isn't applicable to pockets, so it's clear the subject of the sentence was the modified.

The final sentence, however:

He saw red, indicating danger.

Is not. He (the subject of the sentence) could indicate danger. As could a warning light, gauge readout, or other such indicator (he saw).

Consider: He saw red, which indicated danger.

And: He saw red, and indicated danger.

It's not as clear if the modifier could ambiguously modify more than one subject. Once you're clear of any of those pesky ambiguous modifiers, your sentence clarity improves.

evangaline

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Boni & Fallen! Your explanations really did penetrate this thick skull of mine! This forum is a lifeline for writers.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What about:

Opening the door, Fred let himself out.

"Opening the door" would be the normal way, wouldn't it? Unless he got out through a window or by breaking down a wall, why not just say:

Fred let himself out..

Or, if the subsequent action takes place outside, or in his car, or anyplace other than the house, why even mention that he let himself out? Do you need to describe him walking across the living room to get to the door to let himself out? Do you need to mention that, in doing so, he put his left foot in front of his right, then reversed the procedure, several times, to get there?

Overdescription of inconsequential activities is a major flaw in a lot of manuscripts I see.

caw

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
"Opening the door" would be the normal way, wouldn't it? Unless he got out through a window or by breaking down a wall, why not just say:

Fred let himself out..

Or, if the subsequent action takes place outside, or in his car, or anyplace other than the house, why even mention that he let himself out? Do you need to describe him walking across the living room to get to the door to let himself out? Do you need to mention that, in doing so, he put his left foot in front of his right, then reversed the procedure, several times, to get there?

Overdescription of inconsequential activities is a major flaw in a lot of manuscripts I see.

caw

Noooooooooooooo. Don't go editor my humble proofing ass :D. I don't doubt there are better ways. The point is that -ing-clauses can be looked at from different angles: not just simultanous:

Dangling the keys in front of them, he unlocked the door.

The usual argument is you can't 'dangle' if you're 'unlocking' (simulataneous action), but what about near-simultaneous (or showing a state through action)?

Dangling the keys in front of them (he's being a bit of a b******), he locked the door.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
The point is that -ing-clauses can be looked at from different angles: not just simultanous:

Dangling the keys in front of them, he unlocked the door.

The usual argument is you can't 'dangle' if you're 'unlocking' (simulataneous action), but what about near-simultaneous (or showing a state through action)?

Near-simultaneous does not equal simultaneous. And why write it that way, anyway? It's a weak way to form a sentence, because you're forcing a subordinate, supporting clause to take on the role of a main action.

Better would be--

He dangled the keys in front of them before unlocking the door.

or

He dangled the keys in front of them, then unlocked the door.

Reserve the subordinate clause for a truly supporting function--an action that modifies or enhances the main action.

Her heart pounding, she opened the box.

In that case, the dependent clause is first in the sentence because the action of opening the box needs to be last, for greatest impact.

But mostly it's better to place the dependent clause in the middle of the sentence or at the end.

He trudged through the snow, leaving bloody footprints in his wake.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Near-simultaneous does not equal simultaneous. And why write it that way, anyway? It's a weak way to form a sentence, because you're forcing a subordinate, supporting clause to take on the role of a main action.

Better would be--

He dangled the keys in front of them before unlocking the door.

or

He dangled the keys in front of them, then unlocked the door.

Reserve the subordinate clause for a truly supporting function--an action that modifies or enhances the main action.

Her heart pounding, she opened the box.

In that case, the dependent clause is first in the sentence because the action of opening the box needs to be last, for greatest impact.

But mostly it's better to place the dependent clause in the middle of the sentence or at the end.

He trudged through the snow, leaving bloody footprints in his wake.

You're editting out of context, Beth, and without looking at what Kate is saying.

To my understanding this issue in using it correctly is that the actions have to be simultaneous... the two verbs have to be simultaneous. So she can reach into her pocket and reassure herself at the same time.

I'm saying that youd don't just use -ing clauses to portray simulataneous action (as evan was asking why/when intial, medial and end positioning would be a choice for placement).

The semantic relation between -ing clause and main is tenuous at best, yes aspect plays a major part, but it can be dealing with many things, including time, reason, condition.

Your example deals with a mental state, then main clause.

Her heart pounding, she...

Which is one use, but saying 'simultaneous use' is the only correct way restricts usage.

'Grabbing the keys, she rushed out of the bedroom.'

This one could suggest a series of events (you grab and then run).

I'm not saying how can this be written better; I'm looking at the meaning of it as it stands.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

I'm not saying how can this be written better; I'm looking at the meaning of it as it stands.

Well, yes, I agree with you that your interpretation is how most people would read it.

Which still doesn't make it good usage. Grammatical correctness isn't a guarantor of good writing, which is what I think I said in my first post in this thread. And is not an irrelevant issue.

One of my first pieces of advice to students in my writing classes is: If a sentence you've written bothers you, chances are you can write it differently and improve it. Even if the first version has no grammatical problem.

caw

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Well, yes, I agree with you that your interpretation is how most people would read it.

Which still doesn't make it good usage. Grammatical correctness isn't a guarantor of good writing, which is what I think I said in my first post in this thread. And is not an irrelevant issue.

One of my first pieces of advice to students in my writing classes is: If a sentence you've written bothers you, chances are you can write it differently and improve it. Even if the first version has no grammatical problem.

caw

Agreed ;)

'Grabbing the keys, she rushed out of the bedroom.' Comes from one of Richard Layman's novels. The 'Dangling the keys...' example comes from the Longman Student G. (fict). Layman uses far more -ing clauses than say, the likes of Patricia Cornwell (she seemes to favour the 'supplement info -ing' (final position)).

I think it just makes me nervous when some editors say 'good authors avoid'. I think 'good authors' just know when 'best' to use something. You get an aspiring author thinking they can't be used at all, when that isn't the case.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
You're editting out of context, Beth, and without looking at what Kate is saying.

*puzzled* I wasn't responding to Kate. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say I'm editing out of context. I was arguing with your supposition that actions that are close to simultaneous are OK to write as a dependent/independent construct.

Those are two consecutive actions, yes, and they happen very close together, but that's still a misuse of the dependent clause. A dependent clause should modify and support the main clause. In that sentence, you have two equal and distinct actions--grabbing the keys and rushing out of the bedroom--but one of them has been incorrectly relegated to a position of supporting the other.

And sure--sometimes you do find sentences like that in published books. Unfortunately. But it's not a good example to follow.

Last edited:

tmesis

bibbidi bobbidi boo
Registered
Reaction score
Those are two consecutive actions, yes, and they happen very close together, but that's still a misuse of the dependent clause.

According to whom, though? I've seen this usage decried too, but I'm not necessarily convinced. This site, for instance, says simultaneous and sequential uses are both fine.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All I want is to understand - at first read - what image the writer is trying to convey in the context of the scene in question.

If I do, I'm not going to start picking clauses apart looking for some other meaning that probably only exists when considering the relative sentence outside the context.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I think the fact that we find these constructions in published books--and fairly widely, in my opinion--doesn't so much mean we shouldn't follow those awful examples of misuse, as proves that it's a perfectly acceptable use of language.

It's no shocker that writer-types are going to henpeck grammar and syntax to death, no matter where we find it. The vast majority of readers, though, use a solid understanding of basic language, idioms, laws of physics, and common sense to determine the meaning of sentences.

When someone reads "Unlocking the door, he let himself out," no one thinks "My god! How in Hades did he stretch his arms out the window and open the door from the outside!?" This thought never enters most readers' minds because most of us automatically dismiss absurd interpretations of language. "Writers" and other grammarians might have a chuckle; most people are completely aware of the author's intent.

Yes, we should avoid awkward situations, like "Getting out of bed, he caught the bus," and I realize some people are going to have different levels of tolerance for what's "awkward." But I don't see any reason why, if the structure makes contextual sense, can't legitimately be misconstrued, and doesn't confuse the reader, we shouldn't use the structure to our full advantage for variety, flow, rhythm, and nuance.

Readers aren't stupid, and in my opinion, the idea that you must always avoid the construction was thought up by the same people who iron their underwear. It's a valid construction--writers use it; readers understand it.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
The vast majority of readers, though, use a solid understanding of basic language, idioms, laws of physics, and common sense to determine the meaning of sentences.

I think this hits it on the head. If a reader took every example of writing literally, you'd get pretty outlandish interpretations.

@Beth. Can you maybe provide some citations from a reference grammar that says these constructions are weak or (near-simultaneous) should be avoided in fiction? I'd like to have a look at what's being said. :)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
According to whom, though? I've seen this usage decried too, but I'm not necessarily convinced. This site, for instance, says simultaneous and sequential uses are both fine.

Some do say that. I've never figured out why they think it's acceptable, either grammatically or from a good-writing standpoint. From the source you cited, they also said things like:

Brushing an imaginary hair from his jacket, the President stepped up to the microphone.

Note that the end position in the sentence carries the most weight: it is there that the most important information is presented. For this reason, although it is not wrong grammar, it would be unnatural in English to use the reverse order:

Stepping up to the microphone, the President brushed an imaginary hair from his jacket.

The second example is not "unnatural" and it may well be the best way to write that sentence, if the fact that's he's brushing away a hair (imginary or otherwise) is actually significant and the writer wants it to be noticed.

Since you asked for sources, let me quote from two respected ones. First, John Gardner in The Art of Fiction says:

Sentences beginning with infinite-verb clauses are so common in bad writing that one is wise to treat them as guilty until proven innocent.[...]In really bad writing, such introductory phrases regularly lead to shifts in temporal focus or to plain illogic. The bad writer tells us, for instance: "Firing the hired man and burning down his shack, Eloise drove into town." (The sentence implies that the action of firing the hired man and burning down his shack and driving into town are simultaneous.) Or the bad writer tells us, "Quickly turning from the bulkhead, Captain Figg spoke slowly and carefully." (Illogical; that is, impossible.) But even if no illogic or confusion of temporal focus is involved, the too-frequent or inappropriate use of infinite verb phrases makes bad writing. Generally it comes about because the writer cannot think of a way to vary the length of his sentences.

And from the widely recommended Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King:

One easy way to make your writing seem more sophisticated is to avoid two stylistic constructions that are common to hack writers, namely

Pulling off her gloves, she turned to face him.
or
As she pulled off her gloves, she turned to face him.

Both the as construction and the -ing construction as used above are grammatically correct and express the action clearly and unambiguously. But notice that both of these constructions take a bit of action ("She pulled off her gloves...") and tuck it away into a dependent clause ("Pulling off her gloves..."). This tends to place some of your action at one remove from your reader, to make the actions seem incidental, unimportant. And so if you use these constructions often, you weaken your writing.

Another reason to avoid the as and the -ing constructions is that they sometimes give rise to physical impossibilities. We once worked on the autobiography of a behavioral biologist who, in the process of describing her field work, wrote, "Disappearing into my tent, I changed into fresh jeans." The -ing construction forces simultaneity on two actions that can't be simultaneous. The doctor didn't duck into the tent and pull on clean pants at the same time--she was a biologist, not a contortionist.

Both of these sources went on to say that the -ing construction is not to be avoided entirely, but it needs to be used appropriately and thoughtfully, not scattered like confetti throughout the writing. And their objections mostly centered around using them to open a sentence, which is the weakest position and seems to cause the most problems.

Last edited:

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
I think this hits it on the head. If a reader took every example of writing literally, you'd get pretty outlandish interpretations.

I think you're right that this is the core of the question: How much can you bend the rules of grammar before your prose suffers?

I worry that there may be two answers to that question, one for readers and one for editors. Readers are forgiving, but judging by the linked article in the OP editors may be extremely (overly?) strict.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
'make your writing seem incidental, unimportant'

They're supplement clauses:

By using a supplement clause, the writer marks information as supplementary background information to the main clause.

(The Longman Student Grammar, p258)

It's kind of one of the points to supplementary clauses that the main clause remains the focus. To say it's 'weak usage' because that structure makes your writing 'incidental' or 'unimportant' seems... both ironical and prescriptive.

They're not like this class of dependent -ing clauses:

Using a supplement clause is considered 'weak' by some (subject -ing)... The woman taking the call was frustrated (noun postmodifier)...

Information becomes background, sets the scene to the main etc:

'Grabbing the keys, she rushed out of the bathroom.' (Laymen)

They're not as closely tied like the examples above, and their semantic relation varies.

Going back to the op's editorial link... If a 'good writer' intended it as anything but 'supplementary', he'd write it differently. But if he intended it as supplementary, as background info to the main, he wouldn't be a 'bad writer' for using them...

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
It's kind of one of the points to supplementary clauses that the main clause remains the focus.

Yes, absolutely.

To say it's 'weak usage' because that structure makes your writing 'incidental' or 'unimportant' seems... both ironical and prescriptive.

This is missing the point, which I'll repeat: taking an action and forcing it inappropriately into a supportive or supplemental role is what weakens the sentence. It's not that you can't have these phrases; it's what you use them for that makes the difference between good and bad sentences. This same point was touched in at least one of the sources I cited in my previous post. And since you requested that I provide some sources, I'd be curious to hear your response to them.

Going back to the op's editorial link... If a 'good writer' intended it as anything but 'supplementary', he'd write it differently. But if he intended it as supplementary, as background info to the main, he wouldn't be a 'bad writer' for using them...

Well, I'd argue that if he writes sentences like

Grabbing the keys, I dashed out of the room

or

Entering the room, she answered the ringing phone

intending one of those actions to be subordinate to the other, then clearly he doesn't understand the proper use of the infinite verb clause.

In those sentences, the actions did not happen simultaneously, nor is one incidental to or modifying the other. The actions are separate and sequential. They have equal weight, which makes the use of the dependent clause inappropriate.

A better way to write them would be:

I grabbed the keys from their hook and dashed out of the room.

I hurried down the hall, snagging the keys from the table along the way.

She burst into the room and pounced on the ringing phone.

Upon entering the room, she heard the phone ring and went to answer it.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quoting phrases out of context is never conclusive.

Who is to say an author's choice of words wasn't deliberate and used because it fitted the particular situation?

For instance, if I already knew the keys were hanging on a hook beside (or even on the back of) the open door I would completely accept -

or

intending one of those actions to be subordinate to the other, then clearly he doesn't understand the proper use of the infinite verb clause.

In those sentences, the actions did not happen simultaneously, nor is one incidental to or modifying the other. The actions are separate and sequential. They have equal weight, which makes the use of the dependent clause inappropriate.

I grabbed the keys from their hook and dashed out of the room..

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
And since you requested that I provide some sources, I'd be curious to hear your response to them.

They're style sources. 'Prescriptive' sums up my response to their tone well enough. That's no disrespect to anyone. It's just obvious to me that some authors do use these initial supplement clauses to suggest near-smultaneous action. I'd much rather look at examples from authors across different genres to understand why/why not to use them, rather than be told outright that they can be bad writing.

Upon entering the room, she heard the phone ring and went to answer it.

And this is where taking the writing literally unsettles me. Yes it's 'correct' to use the adverb, but like with the 'Grabbing the keys, she rushed out of the room' example, when the adverb is dropped, a reader is able to 'infer' the sequence from context.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I'd much rather look at examples from authors across different genres to understand why/why not to use them, rather than be told outright that they can be bad writing.

I think it's always a good idea to study the writing in published novels, but if you (generic you, not you in particular) are already of the opinion that such constructions are acceptable/unacceptable, then finding examples of them (or lack thereof) will only reinforce your position, I should think.

And this is where taking the writing literally unsettles me. Yes it's 'correct' to use the adverb, but like with the 'Grabbing the keys, she rushed out of the room' example, when the adverb is dropped, a reader is able to 'infer' the sequence from context.

Yes, and this is really where we differ. Of course, we can understand it perfectly well, but that still doesn't make it a good sentence. My opinion (which will be no surprise to anyone :) ) is that while it may be clear in meaning, it is also sloppy writing.

That said, if I occasionally encounter a sentence like that in a published book, I'm not going to care much. If the writing is peppered with them, though, I won't bother reading further than a page or so.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, we can understand it perfectly well, but that still doesn't make it a good sentence. My opinion (which will be no surprise to anyone :) ) is that while it may be clear in meaning, it is also sloppy writing.

That said, if I occasionally encounter a sentence like that in a published book, I'm not going to care much. If the writing is peppered with them, though, I won't bother reading further than a page or so.

Clearest, most succinct, and most pertinent post in this thread.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.