Object located on an optical drive

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what's going on here?

I have been playing DEAD SPACE 2 - which I am thoroughly enjoying by the way - for many weeks, but today the game isn't playing ball.

With the disc in the E drive, I left clicked 'next' as normal following the opening choice of language, then selected 'play' as normal.

Then zippo. The small game-window disappeared leaving me looking at my normal everyday screen.

I then went into Computer, selected the appropriate Drive (E) containing the Disc, and hit 'browse'.

I then see all the files that are presumably on the Disc, and

Up comes a small AVG screen warning me as follows

(Object name) File E:\ activation.x86.dll (which I can see)

(Detection Name) Virus found Win32/Heur

(Object type) - File

(SDK Type) - Core

(Result) Infected

As prompted I hit the appropriate button to remove unhealed files etc but then received the message -

Action Unsuccessful - Objects located on an optical Drive.

No idea what that means. If it means the Disc is infected, I'm puzzled because I've used it for weeks.

On the other hand if it means my Drive is infected - what caused that and what do I do to rectify it?

I am no geek -so while I may manage to follow technical stuff I have no desire to probe or fiddle into the guts of my computer - unless it's a fairly simple exercise.

As I said -What's going on here -I use AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2011.

Thanks guys. I've used no other Discs in my Drive for weeks, and apart from normal E-mail and AW use I do not download stuff off the internet.

Thanks a lot.

PS Just completed a 'whole computer scan' and see a message - 'no infections were found'.

Last edited:

Gilead

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a false positive. I had one from AVG today for a different game, and there's no way a virus has gotten onto a read-only disc. I suspect a recent update for AVG's picking it up and I'd think they'd fix that pretty soon. Looking at Google a few other people are having a similar issue.

( For instance: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/981280-dead-space-2/58368170)

Not sure what you can do about it other than making sure AVG hasn't deleted any other game files -- the people at the above link had AVG delete the version of activation.x86.dll on their hard drive, which would also prevent the game running at all. Maybe try starting the game without AVG active to see if that makes a difference, although I hate to suggest disabling anti-virus as a solution.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Whole computer scan won't usually scan optical (=CD or DVD) drives unless you check a box to tell it to do that. Definitely a false positive. Until they fix it, I'd just disconnect from the internet and disable the AV while you play it.

I suspect activation.dll is some kind of copy protection system and it's poking its nose in places AVG associates with virus activity.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. That is very helpful.

Am now going to disconnect from the internet, shut AVG and see what happens. back soon with progress report ---hopefully it's a progress report.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Warning, this could be a total shot in the dark...

AVG obviously thinks the version of activation.x86.dll on your CD is suspect, but can't overwrite it 'cause the CD is read-only. It might be worth your searching for another copy of activation.x86.dll on the internet and downloading this to your hard drive (with appropriate AV checks) so the game can find it there instead of looking on your CD.

(That's assuming the software isn't looking for a specific filepath/filename on the CD, but just wants to access the .dll file and will look for it in other locations.)

-Derek

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, guys. I seem to have managed it okay, thanks to your help.

I came off the net and tried again to run the game with no success.

I then checked my AVG programs and found my most recent database version 1497/3490 was released today at 0734. That explains everything and it seems to me (as someone else mentioned) there is probably a flaw in that download that needs to be corrected.

I then went into AVG, located the Virus Vault and found the two files AVG was (apparently wrongly because the game is on a read-only disc) telling me were infected, and told AVG to put both files back where they came from.

Then I went into AVG Advanced settings and shut AVG off.

Then I tried to load and run the game and it worked!

So, until I see a more recent database download I shall disconnect AVG and play the game offline. I don't play it online anyway.

Thanks a lot friends. I'm sorry for other folks who get caught by this and don't have any access to helpful buddies.

I surprised myself by probing and clicking but one learns all the time -even at 73!

Cheers, and thanks again.

Bufty -off to slay some more nasty necromorphs!!

Deleted member 42

I think Bufty is fine, and followed a logical procedure.

But as a cautionary message--I've worked at software companies for a long time.

On two occasions, we made a commercially reproduced CD-ROM that had malware on it, at two different companies.

The first time was a very new Mac OS virus, back in the 1990s. There were only ever a handful of them, and this was the first. It wasn't harmful, it was just silly, but still, it was Not Good.

The other was on a beta for an anti-virus product; some simply copied a test file that shouldn't have been copied.

My point is, much as Bufty was cautious, be cautious. Accidents happen.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, M. I did also initially google to try and see if the suggested file virus- if there was one- was known to Electronic Arts. I would have thought there would have been some reference to it on the net were there a genuine virus issue on the disc.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I got a similar message today, with the alert for Win32/Heur. AVG found it in Caesar IV, a game I don't think I've played in a couple of years, at least. I ended up Ignoring it. It's reassuring (a little, anyway) to see that it's been happening to others, too.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
On two occasions, we made a commercially reproduced CD-ROM that had malware on it, at two different companies.

The first time was a very new Mac OS virus, back in the 1990s. There were only ever a handful of them, and this was the first. It wasn't harmful, it was just silly, but still, it was Not Good.

The other was on a beta for an anti-virus product; some simply copied a test file that shouldn't have been copied.

How does this end up happening anyway?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, tried 'Ignore' but AVGs Resident Shield sub-system then told me it would leave the file where it was but for my own protection would refuse to let me access any connected files so I was still scuppered -hence my final approach of staying off the net and shutting AVG down before playing Dead Space 2.

Hope whatever it is is rectified soon -don't fancy doing this for too long every time I play.

I got a similar message today, with the alert for Win32/Heur. AVG found it in Caesar IV, a game I don't think I've played in a couple of years, at least. I ended up Ignoring it. It's reassuring (a little, anyway) to see that it's been happening to others, too.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hmm, just got home and switched on the Kray II and AVG immediately reports Win32/Heur infecting the .exe of Men of War (which I haven't played for months.) So unless something is very sneakily infecting old games... I wonder if they all share a particular form of copy protection or something. Anyway, I sent the file to the virus vault; can always reinstall if I want to play it again.

Deleted member 42

Hmm, just got home and switched on the Kray II and AVG immediately reports Win32/Heur infecting the .exe of Men of War (which I haven't played for months.) So unless something is very sneakily infecting old games... I wonder if they all share a particular form of copy protection or something. Anyway, I sent the file to the virus vault; can always reinstall if I want to play it again.

I suspect it's a permissions issue, honestly, and that AVG will update in a couple of days to fix the over-enthusiastic warnings.

Deleted member 42

How does this end up happening anyway?

In the first case, the Mac OS virus was very very new--and the company was infected by Apple (really!) inadvertently.

This really was in the very early days.

In the second, human error and a very tired overstressed employee.

Users really are the greatest vulnerability in any system.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
In the first case, the Mac OS virus was very very new--and the company was infected by Apple (really!) inadvertently.

This really was in the very early days.

In the second, human error and a very tired overstressed employee.

Users really are the greatest vulnerability in any system.

Interesting. I just would have expected (reputable) commercial software companies to avoid that kind of thing. Good to know.