• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] David Godwin Associates Ltd.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
Hello all ^^
I've been lurking on these boards for a while but this is the first time I've even needed to post - the answers to my questions have already been around, otherwise!

I couldn't find any threads about this particular agent - does anybody have any experience with them, or have you submitted to them before? I know from their website (http://www.davidgodwinassociates.co.uk/) that for YA submissions they accept e-mail, but otherwise it's by post.

This is actually a cunningly dual purpose thread - my second question is about British agents who take submissions via e-mail. I live in Japan at the moment, and with all the ups and downs here recently it saves a lot of hassle to be able to e-mail agents directly. Since word of mouth and personal recommendation are always valid, I wondered if anybody here knew of any agents who accept e-mail submissions for children's books who they could suggest.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
They're well thought of. I've had the pleasure of meeting David Godwin and he's a charming man. The agency has a good record of solid sales.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
He's famous for, amongst other things, flying to India after he read the manuscript for The God Of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, to sign her on the spot. It later won the Booker Prize.

I think it's safe to say he accepts international submissions!

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
Ha, thanks guys - yeah, I've heard that story too (well, read it) so I guess international submissions aren't a problem. I think they're actually not a problem for the majority of agents nowadays. Good stuff.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Just note that they are VERY strict about their policy of NOT accepting email submissions - snail mail, cover note (query letter equivalent, I suppose) and three chapters.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
It's pretty common in the UK not to accept e-mail subs. Most of the larger agencies don't, which is a pain if you are abroad.

Here is one suggestion to minimise costs:

Instead of going to the trouble and expense of buying International Reply Coupons or UK stamps and sending SAEs to England, I suggest mailing your submission without an SAE and including an email address and inviting them to email you if they would like to see more.

I did this about half-way through my UK submissions and the response rate was at least as good as when I included SAEs. It will reduce the cost of each individual submission a LOT.

One tip - even if they ask you to send your submission to a generic address (like "Submissions Department"), always take the time to target one agent in the agency. You can read their bios to see what kind of books they like, and if that information isn't there, check around on the internet and find stuff they have represented, then target the most appropriate agent.

Your submission may still get read by whoever is dealing with the slush pile, but it may get passed direct to the agent. And in any event, showing that you have targetted a particular agent rather than blanketing the country with submissions can only be a good thing.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
Just note that they are VERY strict about their policy of NOT accepting email submissions - snail mail, cover note (query letter equivalent, I suppose) and three chapters.

Except for YA, of which the website says ; For YA books (10 years+), please send the synopsis and first 20 pages via email to: [email protected][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] All other submissions should be sent by post to 55 Monmouth St, London, WC2H 9DG'
Good points about savings costs by leaving off SAEs - I've done this before with a different book.

[/FONT]

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Except for YA, of which the website says ; For YA books (10 years+), please send the synopsis and first 20 pages via email to: [email protected][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] All other submissions should be sent by post to 55 Monmouth St, London, WC2H 9DG'
Good points about savings costs by leaving off SAEs - I've done this before with a different book.

[/FONT]

It's a balancing act though, it may annoy some. I would decide by the wording on the website. If they are SUPER insistent on the SAE, then you should probably do it. If they only mention it, then I would suggest saving on the SAE and providing your email address.

This advice ONLY applies to international submissions, not to submitting if you are in the UK.

Also be aware that means you will probably get no response at all if they reject.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Kirsty Mclachlan of DGA Ltd is one of the founders of the London Writers Club, by the way. The LWC runs online courses which I'm told are good.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I recently asked half a dozen major UK agencies about how they reply to overseas submissions and they all said they would reply by e-mail.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
I recently asked half a dozen major UK agencies about how they reply to overseas submissions and they all said they would reply by e-mail.

That's well researched! I think it makes sense for both sides - international mail is not just more expensive (I don't really have anything against spending money, to be honest. If I'm serious about writing, I realise there are costs involved, just as in any profession) but more cumbersome and slower. In Japan specifically, at the moment, there are also disruptions to deal with.

Agencies who would rather not have to e-mail back (I say 'have to' but in the modern age it's becoming the norm to e-mail anything, instead of write a letter...) are probably in the minority in this case.

I've seen agencies specifically say they don't want to deal with 'international reply coupons' several times, though I'm not really sure what those are o_0

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
The 11 days off goes for most of the UK, I believe -- 29 April is a national holiday according to news reports.

So...agreed: anyone awaiting responses from UK agents should probably add an extra week or so to their waiting time.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The 11 days off goes for most of the UK, I believe -- 29 April is a national holiday according to news reports.

So...agreed: anyone awaiting responses from UK agents should probably add an extra week or so to their waiting time.

Correct.
May 2nd is also a public holiday

Laure de Sade

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauraelizabethwoollett.com
Does anyone have any idea how many agents are currently at DGA and who they are? I couldn't find any agent profiles on their website...

I'd also like to know which agent in particular represents Julia Leigh (Australian author). I did a search but couldn't find anything.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Kirsty McLachlan is now closed to new clients, according to an e-mail she sent me today (8th Jan 2016).

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Eleanor Birne, formerly publishing director for John Murray, joins as an agent on September 3, per Publisher's Lunch.