More DNS trouble

Reaction score
I was once sexually harrassed in a computer shop (not the one I go to these days of course; I don't want to risk that) and put it into my first published novel. :D

So perverted lechers? Watch out. You could end up in an erotic romance as a dickweasel who gets punched out by the male MC!

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey SP,

Have you tried the age old method of switching the router for a few minutes?
The system restore may have knackered your settings.

If that doesn't work... I'll need to wrack the memory banks. My neice had the same problem and it was a simple fix in the end. Course it took about 2 days to find the effing fault!!

Regards

Whacko

Reaction score
Tried everything. I shall resort to my tried and true method of "Taking the laptop into the repair shop". :D It'll cost a few bob, but Medi will be pleased to know this strengthens my resolve to make my next machine a mac.

whacko

Registered
Reaction score
Aha. Have you tried safe mode with networking to see if anything happens? Or Allow Windows to manage network?

whacko

Registered
Reaction score
I take it you started thinking about Morten?

If you reboot the machine and start tapping the f8 key you'll get presented with a menu... things like normal system start, safe mode, safe mode with networking. So pick the safe mode with networking.

Basically safe mode starts the machine with the minimum of drivers - so you'll end up with a desktop about 800 x 600 pixels, i.e. everything will look odd.

Anyway, it's all good. Restarting after that will bring it back to normal.

But once you're in safe mode with networking, try connecting to the internet again, even do the ping tests once more.

I definitely think it's something not hooking up to your network.

Boston Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was once sexually harrassed in a computer shop (not the one I go to these days of course; I don't want to risk that) and put it into my first published novel. :D

So perverted lechers? Watch out. You could end up in an erotic romance as a dickweasel who gets punched out by the male MC!

"I’m a novelist. Anything you say can be taken down & used against you in a work of fiction.” ~ Anne R Allen

Reaction score
Just tried hardwiring it in, and it works fine. Wonder why that is, and it doesn't work with WiFi? Will reboot now and see if the wireless works on the laptop.

Deleted member 42

Just tried hardwiring it in, and it works fine. Wonder why that is, and it doesn't work with WiFi? Will reboot now and see if the wireless works on the laptop.

That suggests it was in fact navel-gazing, so you're half way to solving the problem.

Reaction score
Modem blew up. Well, the power cable did. It's been dicky for a while, so here's hoping Virgin Media - ARSEHOLES! ARSEHOLES, THE LOT OF THEM! - come through with a new modem within a week like they 'promised'. HA HA HA YEAH RIGHT.

SP, on her dad's computer.