Secrets of the Castle (BBC2)

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
This is a heads-up for those in the UK (or with access to BBC channels) that a new 5-part series is starting on BBC2 on 18th November at 9pm called 'Secrets of the Castle with Ruth, Peter and Tom'. Historian Ruth Goodman and archeologists Peter Ginn and Tom Pinfold* will learn the skills of medieval castle builders. I believe the first episode will involve the construction of a spiral staircase.

Should be of great interest for historical or fantasy writers. :) (I've put it on series link, at any rate!)

*This is the team who brought various 'Farm' series to the BBC (Tudor Monastery Farm, Victorian Farm, Wartime Farm) as well as the Victorian Pharmacy. I'm currently watching the Tudor Monastery Farm series, which was filmed at the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum, West Sussex, and it's a great insight into life then.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Did anybody watch this last night?

I knew the series was being filmed at Guedelon Castle in Treigny, France, but I didn't realise the workforce were already 17 years into their 25-year project to build a medieval castle from scratch.

The enthusiasm and rapport of the presenters, Ruth, Peter and Tom, was a delight to watch, and the projects they had for this episode were fascinating - I particularly enjoyed watching how a rope was made.

Next week's episode involves the art of medieval combat and the building of defensive structures. :)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Never saw any of the farm-episodes, but the Castle-series was awesome. I'm not sure if they can finish the whole structure within the next 8 years, but what they've achieved is impressive. Experimental archaeology can be so cool.

For those interested, Guédelon Castle has its own website.