Not open for further replies.

khobar

Be constructive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpnixon.com
Hi,

I just received my second eproof from LSI and spotted a typo (comma where a period should be). I'm debating whether to reject the proof and submit a corrected file or not worry about it. I ask because if I understand correctly resubmissions are subject to a $40 fee.

Thoughts?

Sarah Godfrey

Who did the thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marionettesandmonsters.blogspot.com
Hi, khobar!

I hadn't heard of LSI before, so I looked it up. I can definitely see the appeal, but wow! A $30 proof cost and a $40 change! I'd love to see what the matte printing looks like, but yikes!

Usually when I find errors, I tend to bundle them together with the intention of editing them in a second edition. I never find just one error because it always feels like the editing job is never done. At least, if you hold back on making this one correction this time and you find others at a later date, you won't have to spend extra money? Can you make changes post-publication?

khobar

Be constructive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpnixon.com
Thanks! It is only a comma, and it's at the end of the last line on one page, and the first word on the next page is capitalized so it really is obviously a typo.

I think I will let this go. It doesn't change anything about the book and most likely I'm the only one who will even know it's there. ;)

I can make changes at any time. The only gotcha is that any new changes won't be incorporated until whatever run is finished.

RE: matte finish. I opted to go with a cloth cover and matte dust jacket and I did not like the matte because of its waxy feel. I subsequently contacted LSI for a sample glossy dust jacket and they sent me a nice packet that included what I asked for plus two versions of a sample case laminate book, one glossy (ordinary) and one matte (really nice, but it used their "premium" color option). Oddly enough the feel of this matte cover was not waxy so maybe it has to do with age or something.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I just received my second eproof from LSI and spotted a typo (comma where a period should be). I'm debating whether to reject the proof and submit a corrected file or not worry about it. I ask because if I understand correctly resubmissions are subject to a $40 fee.

Thoughts?

May I share a good suggestion I learned here on AW? If it were me, I'd take the time to read the whole proof backwards, one paragraph at a time. That way, your mind goes into a more observant mode and you can spot those errors more easily. When you read something front to back as you normally do, your mind carries you into the story and it is very easy to miss mistakes - especially when they're minor. If, after reading it this way, you find you have missed other things and you correct them, you can decide if it's worth the $40. to resubmit.

I just finished formatting my next novel for print last night and I could send the PDF's to my printer today, but I've made a decision to print it out and reread the entire thing backwards one more time, even though I've done it once when it was still in manuscript form. That way I can be reasonably sure I've made it as clean as I'm able to make it before I say, "print."

I wish you well in your publishing endeaver and will be following you journey as I do almost every author on here.

Sarah Godfrey

Who did the thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marionettesandmonsters.blogspot.com
RE: matte finish. I opted to go with a cloth cover and matte dust jacket and I did not like the matte because of its waxy feel. I subsequently contacted LSI for a sample glossy dust jacket and they sent me a nice packet that included what I asked for plus two versions of a sample case laminate book, one glossy (ordinary) and one matte (really nice, but it used their "premium" color option). Oddly enough the feel of this matte cover was not waxy so maybe it has to do with age or something.

Ohhh, that's interesting. So, you can get cover proofs first! I haven't dabbled outside Createspace and Lulu, but I kept wishing I could simply have a print of the cover before ordering the entire proof, what since printing often alters how the cover appears.

I'll keep this in mind for the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.