Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

As the major holidays are (to the best of my knowledge) now over for a few months,

What's the next holiday you're looking forward to?

Mine's the 4th of July (Independence Day here in America for you folk who may not know). There's a big parade, and fireworks, and it's a lot of fun. And the last holiday to look truly forward to until the end of October.

me-a-monsteR

Bites upon request
Registered
Reaction score
Author who I longed to read, but who crushed with disappointment = Anne Rice (reason: slayed me with purple prose). I know seasons change when I sneeze. Holiday to look forward to... *scans calendar* ah, the aptly named freedom day! Yay! *dashes off to do monster-sized shimmy in traffic*

Trying2Write

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like there would be more things I would enjoy seeing under the ocean, but I would feel a bit claustrophobic and would probably end up choosing space travel for that reason. Also, I might find a wormhole and time travel =) (of course having taken only Physics 101 in college I have no idea what this entails)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

Sorry about the delay, but last week was tax time here.

Anyway, this QotW was prompted by my little one:

If you could learn to play any instrument, which one would it be?

Don't worry about cost or anything, just indulge. (My little one's first instrument of choice was the harp, for example.)

As for me, always wanted to learn the violin.

cook.gif

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
If you could learn to play any instrument, which one would it be?

One of those gigantic, cathedral-sized pipe organs would be huge amounts of fun, I think. If not that, the double bass. If not that, the tuba. Did I mention already elsewhere that I am hopelessly drawn to the impractical?

I might take up the mandolin, if I ever scare up any free time.

MittensMorgul

Writing the Bad Things out
Registered
Reaction score
I already play the violin, and about half a dozen other instruments (including lap harp), so maybe I'd pick one I don't already know. Let's go with Bassoon. I don't play a double reed instrument, and I love the sound of the bassoon. As opposed to the treble-oon, I guess.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
I already play the violin, and about half a dozen other instruments (including lap harp), so maybe I'd pick one I don't already know. Let's go with Bassoon. I don't play a double reed instrument, and I love the sound of the bassoon. As opposed to the treble-oon, I guess.

Trumpet for me, but composition is really my niche. :)

Welcome to the site, Mittens! Hope you enjoy your stay. :snoopy:

Wait...I finally understood the question...I would love to learn the french horn.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
The violin.

And I should devote more time to the piano. I know enough to practice upon and improve.

Daniel.Trujillo.D

Registered
Reaction score
I already know how to play the piano, and given the choice I'd much rather perfect my technique than learn another instrument. Otherwise, I'd probably go with a violin (which seems to be a popular choice), and I'd look for my own Fermina Daza (Love in The Times of Cholera) to serenade.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I want to learn how to play the theremin properly, rather than making awful sounds with it. It's harder than it looks.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Inspired by my own current week off, although I can neither go anywhere nor do much of anything except catch up on the work I have to do from home:

If you had a week free of constraints, with no obligations and no concerns about cost or other practical hurdles, where would you go and what would you do?

I'd like to take a week and just hop from one city to the next, spending each day in a different place. A whirlwind tour of wherever the next the plane leaving would take me.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
See, if you're really interested in the details they can be supplied...

*waits for the sheep to throw up*

rachelmachelsmachel

rachelsmachel
Registered
Reaction score
Space for sure! Although there are really cool things deep down in the ocean (giant squids etc) you'd never see any since it's too dark.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
If you had a week free of constraints, with no obligations and no concerns about cost or other practical hurdles, where would you go and what would you do?

I would like to rent out a windmill, up on the top of a hill, with no one for miles and miles around, with plenty of foods and drinks and no need to return to civilization until the week was over. :)

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to rent out a windmill, up on the top of a hill, with no one for miles and miles around, with plenty of foods and drinks and no need to return to civilization until the week was over. :)

Um... Have you been in a windmill? I would pay money not to stay in one again.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

I think I would go to Japan and try to climb Mt. Fuji.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Um... Have you been in a windmill? I would pay money not to stay in one again.

This is a windmill that's been adapted. Here is an idea of what it's like (the website is crappy, and it's in portuguese, but you can see the pics and get an idea).

I've had one or two friends stay in one and they really enjoyed it.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
God, that looks so much better than the one I stayed in. (Abby is going to be horrified at all the places I have been to, and survived)

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Well, yes. Not exactly what I would paying attention to, though. :D

ETA: Restoring windmills for get-away rentals is booming here. Quite neat. :)