jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
All:

Our lives are inundated by media, specifically televised media, to include the Internet, movies and television. If you drop portable video players in there, you've got a whole host of televised goodies to entertain us.

That said, it could be said that much of what we create is influenced by what we watch on all those devices (and there's probably a discussion about the amount of time iPods spend in ears and hands versus books). Now, this thread is not intended to create discourse on how much or how little of any of this you consume. Rather, the discussion focuses on your writing.

More specifically, this is about writing process. To that end, when you're writing your short stories, novella, poetry, novels or whatever else, are you writing them based on experiences outside of the box, or are you reflecting others' ideas into your work? In short, are you replaying and recasting scenes from other works into you novel and not embedding the pages with the richness of experience, study or your own imaginative exploration?

Again, the discussion is not to gauge how much or how little of the product you consume and how it affects your writing (though it is a piece of the discussion). That line of thinking could go on furiously for three or four pages just debating how much "House" we all watch. You could go from the home without a television to the guy with DirecTV who's got every package and is using his dish to help with the SETI project. Average Tv consumer still consumes about 11 hour average every week. So, no need to bicker with the in-betweens.

Further, to quote the bard, there is nothing new under the sun. But, does that mean you're going to draw inspiration from a Baywatch scene or from a live scene at the beach?

Based on the above, 1.) How heavily is your writing influenced by media, and why, 2.) Do you catch yourself being more shallow than deep, and 3.) How do you cure it?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
My writing is somewhat influenced by the media because there are issues that serve as an undercurrent to my plots. I'm not sure about shallowness or depth because I doubt many readers will get those subtleties. Writers might, upon deconstruction, find the underlaying theme but I think in 'pictures' and have to labor to change these to words. It proves to be difficult at times but I manage, so I don't think there is a cure; in my case.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to say what I read is a greater influence. Books seem more real than actors changing roles from one film to the next. Too often I watch a movie and think, this could be better if this happened to him or if she said that, or this person would be better in that role.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sure, when I imagine my scenes, actions, etc. I'm influenced by the movies or TV, etc. I've seen, at least a little bit. I can't isolate myself from that part of my experience, especially since I'm such a movie person (having seen at least 200 movies a year). I write cinematically, so the "movies" may figure even more strongly in my work than, say, something totally introspective and literary.

However, I don't set out to "copy" what I see in the movies. I think it's more like I use what I've seen just as if I've been to those places already. For example, I'm writing some jungle scenes in South East Asia, and I use everything I have to imagine what it's like there. I've been in a jungle when I was about 10. But that memory is rather fuzzy. I do a lot of online research (photos, videos, etc.) and I also take I remember seeing in the movies. I do try to at least reflect some of my own experiences in my work but there are times when it's just not possible. I've never been in an internment camp, but I have seen interment camps in movies. I trust that the moviemakers have done their research, and it's rather silly not to piggyback on that. However, I'm not copying them. I'm not transcribing the movie scenes to my novel. I'm using those images as the basis of my own imagination, and I add to it.

Does it make sense?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Based on the above, 1.) How heavily is your writing influenced by media, and why,
I can't imagine anyone who isn't influenced by what they read or watch. Yes, we get ideas from real life, but the ability to express those ideas is often influenced by what we've read.
2.) Do you catch yourself being more shallow than deep, and
Define this. My writing is exactly what I like to read. Action/adventure/fantasy genre. It's about being a fun read. If that's shallow, so be it.
3.) How do you cure it?
Cure what? I have nothing to cure. I'm very content with what I write and am somewhat insulted by the pretentious tone that I shouldn't be.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
The media does contribute to part of the human experience. We make references to name brands in our everyday language. This year the Nextel Cup, the descendant of the Winston Cup, has become the Sprint Cup.

Pop culture is a part of our common experience, and we, the writers and artists, contribute to it.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Based on the above, 1.) How heavily is your writing influenced by media, and why, 2.) Do you catch yourself being more shallow than deep, and 3.) How do you cure it?

1. I honestly have no idea since I've avoided most TV shows most of my life (most of my viewing pleasure is limited to things like Discovery channels, real forensics shows and the occasional History Channel), though I do pay some attention to what's popular and what's on because that reflects the mindset and expectations of the public in general. I consider being aware of media part of my market research.

It's necessary to have a concept of what the general public thinks they know and where their comfort zones are so when I start pushing the envelope I'm not overly stupid about it.

2. I never think I'm shallow. That a judgment call for others to make on the work, according to their own definitions, and I haven't had any commentary along that line from any of my work, so...

3. ...what's to cure? Don't fix what isn't broke.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
In short, are you replaying and recasting scenes from other works into you novel and not embedding the pages with the richness of experience, study or your own imaginative exploration?

I like to think it's possible to embed my writing with both personal experiences and the perceived experiences of others (ie, television and movies). I also like to think that I succeed at both. People who really know me can probably pick out the personal stuff in my writing. They know the source of an anecdote or why a character has a fear of swamps at night.

1.) How heavily is your writing influenced by media, and why,

The media is so intertwined with my daily life, I think it's impossible to judge just how much of it does or does not influence my writing. I know it's influenced as far as my habit of casting my characters (actors, models, etc...). I started out writing screenplays, so write in a very visual way. So I cast, I search for locations and buildings, and keep photo files handy. If I see an actor guesting on a TV show and am really struck by that actor, I'll Google them and file them away for later use. Not the character they played, mind you, but their visual image. It's just another tool in my writer's tool box.

Do I catch myself recycling scenes from movies into my own stories? Lord, I hope not. While there are only so many ways to write a confrontation between two people, I never sit down and think, "I'll write this in a fashion similar to the big showdown between Mal and the Operative in Serenity."

2.) Do you catch yourself being more shallow than deep,

Are you saying media influence is to shallow as personally influenced is to deep? If so, I hope I strike a balance.

3.) How do you cure it?

If an author creates an entertaining story, no matter their influences, what's to cure? Some people may point and think, "hey, they had sex in the back of a Model-T just like on Titanic," but others won't.

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
To be clear, this isn't an indictment against anyone. It's a question of reflection and asking -- and this is a borad brush example -- whether you're writing about the moose you saw on the Discovery Channel or whether you traveled to Whitehorse, tracked a moose and wrote about that yourself (or through the experiences of someone who did).

I would offer that writing from television movie memory is more "shallow" that the actual experience itself (especially if you're doing it often) and that writing from that TV memory leads to more pitfalls than podiums.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Those of us who write historical fiction have to rely on other people's descriptions and perceptions, photographs, and possibly film--I can't go to the Crystal Palace in person.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I would offer that writing from television movie memory is more "shallow" that the actual experience itself (especially if you're doing it often)

In a sense, I do agree with this. If I could afford to experience all of the things I write about, I believe the act of writing about it would be less shallow. However, that's also what research is for, which leads to....

and that writing from that TV memory leads to more pitfalls than podiums.

It depends and I partially disagree. Just like anything else, I think it depends on the capability of the writer.

About five years ago, I wrote a story set in the Louisiana bayou. The extend of my experience in the bayou (at the time) was the film Swamp Thing, and it's horrific sequel. I posted the story online, and a few weeks later received a wonderful email from a woman who lived in Southern Louisiana, asking if I was from that area as well. (Paraphrasing from memory here) That I'd captured the feel of the swamps, like I'd been there myself.

Shallow writing, by your definition of it, led to a tiny little podium that day. :)

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
You said yourself, "that's also what research is for ..." :) And I commend you on the article (I cannot rep you from work); firewall kills it.

As to the link to imaginitive works, this discussion is at the heart of that. Does it come from your imagination or the writers/producers of whatever show it may have been gleaned from? Again, not an accusation -- just a peek through the looking glass and back to the heart of the question -- are you writing what you conceive or alterations of what's conceived for you?

CT: PM me on joining your forum and what it's about.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Originally Posted by jst5150

1) Usually, it isn't. I really avoid most television and movies at this stage because I'm writing so much. I will state for the record, however, that I had an entire series of books that was originally jump started from a visual scene in one of (IMHO) the worst movies of all time.

2) More shallow than deep? Huh? I write stories. I leave depth perception to others. Frankly, most of what comes on television couldn't really invade my writer's eye at the moment. I hope that means that I'm ahead of the game and not unobservant. ;)

3)Here again, cure it? Cure what? What needs to be cured? I'm one of the types who firmly believes that overthinking writing can kill it. I try to cure my comma addiction--this I'll leave alone.

Interesting question. Thanks.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
You're really trying to make me think, aren't you? ;)

As to the link to imaginitive works, this discussion is at the heart of that. Does it come from your imagination or the writers/producers of whatever show it may have been gleaned from?

To keep with the LA example, I think I have to go with "both" as my response. I used the film for visual imagery: how the cypress trees rose up from the water, the way algae floated on the surface, the way roads cut through on narrow strips of land. The images the filmmakers chose obviously influenced what I saw onscreen. However, the way in which I chose to communicate what I'd gleaned from a visual source into a written one was entirely my imagination. They were my words, my descriptions.

Much in the same way a writer can look at the Mona Lisa and write about it. The visual source belongs to the artist, but the words I choose to describe her, the colors, the details of the painting, they all come from my own imagination.

Again, not an accusation -- just a peek through the looking glass and back to the heart of the question -- are you writing what you conceive or alterations of what's conceived for you?

With personal experience, I am writing about what I perceive. With visual media, I am writing about what is perceived for me (via the cinematographer, the director, the photographer, ect...). However, it is my personal imagination that puts those words onto paper, no matter the source.

(What a cool thread, by the way :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.