How stupid can I be? What type of envelope?

brittanimae

making a fresh start.
Registered
Reaction score
I feel incredibly lame posting this, but when sending a pb manuscript to an editor, do I send it in a full-sized manila envelope with another full-sized SASE? Or do I send it in a regular envelope (folded) with a regular SASE? Or, option 3--a full-sized envelope with a regular-sized SASE?

Thanks in advance for saving me from humiliation!

Also, is there a thread out there that describes the difference between a cover-letter and a query?

Last edited:

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
I don't know if there is a right answer, but i do option 3 for my manuscripts. Usually they don't return the manuscript, and a regular size envelope is big enough for a rejection letter. But hopefully you'll get a nice phone call instead!
-Robin

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
I always do option 3 with novels, because it's not cost effective for me to do shipping on full sized SASEs. However, I have had an editor tell me quite openly (not in the context of a sub) that receiving small SASEs turns her off, because it seems like authors don't care for their mss. Strange, but something to think about.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I always do option 3 with novels, because it's not cost effective for me to do shipping on full sized SASEs. However, I have had an editor tell me quite openly (not in the context of a sub) that receiving small SASEs turns her off, because it seems like authors don't care for their mss. Strange, but something to think about.

Very strange attitude, in this electronic age. I have every MS on hard drive and back-up disk. Why would I want to get back the copy that's bounced through the mail and sat on somebody's desk? I certainly can't send that one out again....

So, yes, I choose option 3, send it flat in a large envelope with a business size SASE for the reply.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
However, I have had an editor tell me quite openly (not in the context of a sub) that receiving small SASEs turns her off, because it seems like authors don't care for their mss. Strange, but something to think about.

That is interesting (and not surprising :) )... the thing is that the ms is pretty useless once you get it back. It's usually been dinged up enough that you wouldn't want to send it out to another agent. Of course, there's always the hope that the agent or editor will write some notes on the pages, but I opt. for #3 -- big envelope for ms and small (#10) for SASE.

And part of that is because I had a lot of my snail mail queries end up in requests via email and offers of representation so I never got my SASEs back. If they'd been full size that would have been a lot of money down the drain!!

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I've always, always sent envelope big enough for return of ms and suitable postage. Yes, it has got quite expensive in the past. And you're right about the mss coming back dog-eared and only fit for the bin. But I was always told to include return postage for the ms. However, things in the last few years have changed, and I suspect that were I submitting now (my agent does it for me these days), I would write in my covering letter something like: 'Please dispose of the ms if you are not interested: I enclose a business sized envelope for your reply.' That way everything is clear.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had one back dog-eared. Should that be telling me something?