RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Looks useful. It also points something out that people ignore when the talk about what religions people belong to.

Between Indigenous (500,000,000) and East Asian (516,000,000) there are more than a billion people (1/7 of the world's populations) who belong to small local religions rather than the big world spanning ones. They tend to be ignored in discussions of religions.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I've been googling Chinese Folk Religions ever since I found the graphic. I did not even know they existed.

Oh yeah. Very interesting if one is looking at the religions that are relegated to the dubious rubric of shamanism. They've also taken in from and given back to Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism.

I regret not having had the time or resources to study them in depth.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how that 1.1 billion people are divided over the the secular-irreligious-agnostic-atheist category. A 146 million of them are atheist, but that still leaves about 950 million people hanging.

I mean, they list Samaritans with 745 members.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I wonder how that 1.1 billion people are divided over the the secular-irreligious-agnostic-atheist category. A 146 million of them are atheist, but that still leaves about 950 million people hanging.

I mean, they list Samaritans with 745 members.

Might be hard to tell. The distinctions aren't carved in stone.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Very interesting if one is looking at the religions that are relegated to the dubious rubric of shamanism. They've also taken in from and given back to Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism.

I regret not having had the time or resources to study them in depth.

I'm a shaman, and dubious rubric is rather an insulting term, or seems so to me.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I'm a shaman, and dubious rubric is rather an insulting term, or seems so to me.

Sorry, I was talking about the generic usage of the term in anthropology / general study of religions where it covers a vast array of religions with a number of very distinct ideas and practices and blurs the distinctive nature of them.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought you were more of an alchemist...

What, I can't be both? Usually, I go with Sorceress these days as a catch all. But, I definitely use shamanic ecstatic techniques in my work.

Status
Not open for further replies.