• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Barbara Bauer Literary Agency / Literary Management Professionals

kerrbear479

Registered
Reaction score
BBLA

I know this post is old but I just wanted to add. I received a call from Dr. Bauer today and was told there is a $2400 up-front fee now, and that the whole process is likely to take 3 years. When I hesitated over the fees I was told that I don't know anyone and I have nothing published so I won't go anywhere unless I have a good mentor like this agency. I started googling and found some unsettling things. And one girl said she received an email from the agency that they were going to sue her for $1B (yes, that's billion) for posting the agency's name on a message board to try to get feedback. See here: http://forums.writersweekly.com/viewtopic.php?p=44820
She was told that her post intended to cause a crime. It didn't make a lot of sense, I just wanted to put this out there. Then again, I've also read they have an A+ rating with the BBB.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Ratings with the BBB are totally meaningless when it comes to publishers and agents.

When I hesitated over the fees I was told that I don't know anyone and I have nothing published so I won't go anywhere unless I have a good mentor like this agency.

That isn't true and she must know that it isn't true. First-time authors who don't know anyone get picked up by major commercial publishers all the time.

Deleted member 42

I know this post is old but I just wanted to add. I received a call from Dr. Bauer today and was told there is a $2400 up-front fee now, and that the whole process is likely to take 3 years. When I hesitated over the fees I was told that I don't know anyone and I have nothing published so I won't go anywhere unless I have a good mentor like this agency.

I'd find an agent who has sold books you can find on your own book shelves, in your local bookstore, and in your local library.

You don't pay agents; agents get paid when you sell your book, and then they get 15% of the advance and any royalties.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
The first time I went to BB's website I knew nothing about her. However, I didn't even have to research because the website was so completely GOD AWFUL that I knew better than to query.

I mean, really.