just joined

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
hi i just joined and thought i would say hi to everyone.
I am a frustraited wannabe writer and thought i could get some help and advice here.
I love to write its a passion of mine but i never finish anything except poems as i feel all my fictional storys lack structure and are lacking in description.
I know that a writer can be there own worse critic but i feel with a little advice from some experienced writers i may be able to get back on track.
Well thanks for your time xx

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
:welcome:Welcome to the Cooler. I'm sure you're going to find any information you might need, as well as encouragement, right here. Don't feel bad cause it took me 25 years to complete a novel.

wolfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
i have tried horror for a while and just couldnt get my characters write they were never quite real if you know what i mean and i could never get the atmosphere right it just didnt get my blood pumping. So know i am trying science fiction and still i cant quite get it right.
thanks everyone for the lovely welcome and the advice

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
With my first book, I just wrote the story as it came to me but from time to time I'd get the feeling it wasn't right. So I'd go back and re-read the tense scenes - had I made it tense enough? The frightening scenes likewise - but does it come as a complete surprise. I wanted people to suck in breath when it happens. So I wrote slabs of the work then breathed life into them. Perhaps you could do that.
Anyway, submit a chapter or two for us to crit and see what other writers think about your work. It won't hurt too much.

And welcome.

wolfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
thanks and i will put something up soon im just building up my courage first and maybe try and tweek it a bit first lol

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Round John Virgin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelboyd.us
Hey, wolfgirl! Welcome to AW! Pay close attention to the things you enjoy reading. The wisdom of your favorite authors will rub off on you. I see you like Stephen King. I recommend his how-to book On Writing. There's some great advice in it.

FlickTick

Registered
Reaction score
What arena?

In which environment do you wish to write?
Novellas, Screenwriting, Short Stories?
An important point is to keep on and not give up.

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, wolfgirl! Welcome to AW! Pay close attention to the things you enjoy reading. The wisdom of your favorite authors will rub off on you. I see you like Stephen King. I recommend his how-to book On Writing. There's some great advice in it.

I agree. His is a great book. Dean Koontz has one, too, "Writing Popular Fiction," that I found really helpful. Welcome to AW.

Status
Not open for further replies.