The Novel Challenge Hub

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Velcro, i recommend chocolate for dealing with agent response anxiety.

And a big :hooray: to you and Siri and soapy and bettie for your progress.

K.L, Sarah, i'm in your boat, just about to start my novel challenge. Well, restart, actually, because i've already got 9k on the WiP i initially started for the challenge, but a couple days back i discovered a two-and-a-half year old outline, and decided to go with that.

Now, to write as many words on Dachs as possible before i go back to work.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
First writing session done for the day: 1500 words/first chapter. Now for some lunch, and then it's back to the keyboard!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I took a look at the chapter that had been kicking and biting me and discovered it was done!
That's quite the image. :) But yay for good surprises.

On track still. 1500 words in three days. I'm wondering when I'm gonna fall of the wagon. :tongue It's bound to happen. But so far, so good.
got mah bidness done today! 2400 words. Things are ramping up still....
Finally finished editing my NaNo novel and it's now with some Beta Readers :D That means I can start on my W1S1. :snoopy:
:Sun::Sun::Sun:

But I shall this week, hopefully today :)
:e2cheer:

i discovered a two-and-a-half year old outline, and decided to go with that.
As much work as outlines are costing me right now...I can't quite imagine how you would manage to lose one!

Still moving forward with re-planning. It feels like incredibly slow going, but I think a lot of that is focus and finding time. And of course Murphy decides that this is a good time to resurrect a W1S1 short piece that had me stumped last year... So that's getting an outline too. Or will be. It can wait its turn.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats everyone on the word count and planning:D I managed to get 2,766 done today. Not to bad, I feel like I could write more, but got to get some sleep, up early in the morning.

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
Okay, so it has been a while since I've given out encouragement. I feel bad--not living up to my end of the bargain.

Anyway....

soapdish: very cool. 1500 words. Nice. Stop wondering about falling off the wagon though. Just get yourself a seat belt and strap yourself in! Get your fix in this fine morning!!

K.L. Townsend: I hate circumstances beyond my control! I had a creative writing instructor a while back yell at me for not writing more outside of his class, and I told him I just did not have the time. Literally, I did not have the time--two kids, one full-time job, one part-time job, a wife (which those are sometimes more work than kids) and then school full-time on top of all of that where there was an hour and a half commute. The instructor's advice was: carve out just ten minutes a day--even if you have to get up just a wee bit earlier...I thought he was nuts, and he certainly didn't have any idea what my schedule and life was like at the time...

SarahG: beta readers are fun!

Izz & AnnieColleen: Outlines are fun too! They're like skeletal rough drafts, a lit guidepost in the dark of the night....

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Got another 1,554 words wrote today. Not as much as what I would have liked, but better than nothing I guess.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well done Sarah, allesa and soapy!

I wrote just under 3600 words yesterday, most of which i'm happy with (for now, anyway :D). I'd like to write at least that today, but it's 10:15 am and i haven't written a word yet. A late breakfast and then words. Hopefully.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Not sure if this is the place to mention it, but Amazon is holding a Breakthrough Novel award contest. Entries to be in between Jan 23 and Feb 5. So, for those of you shopping a complete ms...

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Good job to everyone!

I'm starting to hurtle a little faster... :) I got almost 4k - I wanted to write some more, but my tough night and a bad headache brought me up short. Things are exciting, though, and we're getting to the end.

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my husband to move to second shift - building up the energies in my head, so to speak, and waiting for the time to open up for dedicated writing time (which will happen on the 12th). I'll be picking up a novel-in-progress that I've been working on for four years, so that first day will be time to reread what I've written. Then I'm planning on spending a day or two revisiting my outline (only part 1 is done).

Gee, that really just sounds like I'm stalling...

Hill

Last edited:

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
Hilldawg: Getting rid of husband, huh?

I hate second shift....and would much prefer getting rid of the kids for a while than the spouse. :D

But I understand, I understand. Us husbands can be sometimes pesky creatures. At least that's what *my* wife tells me.

Bettielee: 4k is nothing to shrug at, especially while dealing with a headache. Great job!

Izz & Sara: 3600 words, 1554 words...awesome awesome

Since yesterday, everyone on this thread that has posted numbers up until now, our collective word total is roughly: 7,600. So here's maybe a challenge: can we collectively write 30,000 words by noon tomorrow? Can you make a word pledge? We can run it like NPR's fundraising. Even a donation of 500 words makes a difference!

I'm pledging 6000 words today! Which is kind of a stretch for me, because I normally keep around 4k or so by the end of the day.

What will your pledge be!!! ;)

In other news:
I myself am not quite to 36,000 words. The goal is/was 80k by Sunday night, but probably most likely not going to make it between the kids/spouse (see above)/and work. School starts back up on Monday...and I have a full full load with both undergrad and graduate classes to take. What the heck was I thinking? There is the possibility that I may drop all the classes but the German and the graduate class in Emotional Affect in Literature. See what happens with financial aid...

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Keep it up ppls :)

Finally things calming down after the holidays. Wrote a few hundred words while the little one was in dance class and several last night so slow start but getting back up to speed

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'll contribute words, if they don't have to be actual novel prose yet. :)

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I'm actually able to concentrate, I wrote 750 words from last night until now and I'm not done yet. I'm so happy!

A lot better than my 0 words I was writing.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Finishing the night at about 1,200 words. I may continue although part of me wants to edit the first chapter.

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
Hilldawg: Getting rid of husband, huh?

I hate second shift....and would much prefer getting rid of the kids for a while than the spouse. :D

But I understand, I understand. Us husbands can be sometimes pesky creatures. At least that's what *my* wife tells me.

He he! It's not the husband's fault; it's mine. I can't always concentrate when he and my daughter are in the house (and awake). Even after my little one goes to bed, my husband tempts me with tea and good television.

But, the plus side - I am getting into a habit of visiting AW every morning while my daughter plays with her toys. It serves as great inspiration and makes me want to write that much more!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Finally things calming down after the holidays. Wrote a few hundred words while the little one was in dance class and several last night so slow start but getting back up to speed
:hooray:

well, I got 5896 today! ;) and I'm spent.
:Trophy:

Finishing the night at about 1,200 words. I may continue although part of me wants to edit the first chapter.
:e2woo:

But, the plus side - I am getting into a habit of visiting AW every morning while my daughter plays with her toys. It serves as great inspiration and makes me want to write that much more!
Good habit! :) But yes, AW can be mighty distracting.

First writing session of the day completed--though i started it about 3 hours late, mainly thanks to being distracted with AW :D--1,400 words. I'm enjoying this novel, too.

Cybernetically enhanced badgers and dachshunds battling it out in post-apocalyptic Berlin is just as much fun as i thought it would be :D