Not accusing me of plagiarism, exactely...BUT

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure thing. (Hope Trish or Rob don't decide to ban me from Poetry.)

<pic clipped>
Dude, to the contrary.

You are hereby under Poetry House Arrest - you may not leave until you have read, from cover to cover, Richard Brautigan's Trout Fishing in America.

After that, you won't want to be anywhere else.

You're welcome.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scott, I can understand how you felt. A vague, unspecified allusion like that is completely unhelpful, and it would be a burr under one's blanket.

[ETA: Just saw the part about how it's all been resolved. Glad to know it! Memo to self: Read past the first line of every post.]

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd heard of Trout Fishing in Quebec.

Hmmm. I sense a new Office Party thread: Bands Named After Books. I'll add:

The Fall.

(Surely there has to be a band called The Fountainhead somewhere out there?)

Last edited:

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
Honestly, I knew that I hadn't purposefully lifted anything from anyone....but there is this lingering doubt where it concerns the concept of writing something and claiming it as your own, only to find out that it was something that you read once, twenty years ago, and somehow got lodged in your brain.

That terrifies me, because I've read A BUTT LOAD of stuff.

It does happen. For instance, I believe Colleen McCullough when she says that she didn't consciously plagiarize L.M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle for her Ladies of Missalonghi, but there's no way you can read LoM without thinking TBC was at least lurking in her backbrain somewhere. (IMO, anyway.) The thing that would bother me most if I were McCullough is that (IMO again) TBC is infinitely better than her book.

All you can do is to be as honest as you can. There's no way you can be a writer and not be influenced by what you've read; all you can do is mix the ingredients and make the flavors your own.

Jens22

The Trolley is Out There
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh . . . this takes me back to my undergrad days when I was "sort-of" accused of plagiarism in my first fiction workshop. While we were discussing my story, some guy, in front of a room of 15 people, starting going on about how he'd seen it before "somewhere" in "some book" he had at home (in another state), blah blah . . . but it was "okay" because "[my] version was actually better." I actually had to go make an appointment to see the instructor in her office about it. It was so humiliating. This guy had only a vague idea of the title (which I tried to look up and failed to find . . . this was in the pre-internet days :)), no idea of the author, and no copy of the book at hand. So when the prof realized this was getting us nowhere, she gave me a gentle lecture about how my story was hackneyed (eh, it kinda was, in an "I'm 18 years old and writing a horror story" kind of way, although I didn't plagarize a damn word) and I needed to "be more original." I don't know which was more depressing . . . being accused of being a thief or being accused of being a hack.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I read a story here back in Dec, forgot about it, reread it a month or so ago, and told the author I'd read something very similar but I forgot where. Then it hit me... Combining 22000 members, hundreds of thousands of posts and bouncing all over to different areas of interest--it can happen. I apologized--all's well.

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Jens22, I'm sure you are neither of those things :) HeronW, you are right, and the more distance that I get from this the more certain I am that that is probably what happened. I guess I kinda overreacted. It has made me a bit paranoid, though. I run everything through as many search engines as I can find...and the better the line or title or character name (or whatever), the more paranoid I am. Sort of like, oh that's WAAAY to good for me to have thought up...I must have read it somewhere.