• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Draumr Publishing

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
It could be argued that the "big boys" don't need to display their legalese, since we know what signing with them leads to: selling lots of books.
I know that the "big boy" contract templates are going to be industry standard, because agents and entertainment lawyers deal with them every day. I don't know that with most small presses.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Hiding a contract template makes me suspicious that there's something in it that writers don't want to find.

I'm already dealing with another publisher to get them to change their contract and it appears that they will because they don't want a continued negative recommendation from P&E. Of course, the first words to me in their email was to ask how I got hold of it. They got the standard answer that P&E doesn't reveal its sources.

Anyway, if Draumr's contract has something bad in it, then their management might want to view the model contract at either the SFWA or EPIC sites and consider switching. While no contract is perfect, those are models P&E recommends because there is considerable fairness in those for both publishers and writers.

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
I thinking we've two definitions of private here, with Mr Allen thinking he's being asked to reveal financial data [advances, etc.]

I also think it's interesting that for some, the definition of private is "something to hide". Our contracts do talk about financial data - royalties.

We are a small publisher, and harbor no illusions about it. We play fair because we are writers (half of us, that is) and we have been treated unfairly before. But we're also private because that is how we chose to be treated ourselves.

CaoPaux, I will sit down and compare our contract to the SFWA and point out our differences. I'm afraid that is a bigger task that I have time for at this very moment, but I am not at all opposed to it.

--Robert E. Allen III
Editor, Draumr Publishing
http://www.draumrpublishing.com/
[email protected]

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
James D. Macdonald said:
There is no reason for anyone to display their standard contract.

While it is not required, in light of how many publishers, notably mostly recent ones, have contracts that have much in them to be concerned about in the way of hidden gotchas and the like, I think it is in the interests of legitimate publishers to post a sample of their standard contract with the proviso that some sections may change during negotiations if such actually ever take place or a statement to the fact that this is it, take it or leave it.

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
That's the kind of thing I'm thinking about--the stuff that comes out of left field, and you'd never think to ask about it because you'd never think it would be in a contract. Things like, "And furthermore, you swear to run our website for two years for no compensation and wash my dog once a month. Also, if you say anything bad about our company, we get to fine you $1,000,000,000 and flog you in public."

I'm thinking we need to put something in about washing our dog. That'd be a really productive clause.

Um, how to put this diplomatically....how desperate and/or stupid would somehow have to be to sign such a document? I'd be ashamed to put anything like that in ours, and I suspect our lawyer would hit me.

--Robert E. Allen III
Editor, Draumr Publishing
http://www.draumrpublishing.com/
[email protected]

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Draumr Robert said:
[1] Um, how to put this diplomatically....how desperate and/or stupid would somehow have to be to sign such a document? [2] I'd be ashamed to put anything like that in ours, and I suspect our lawyer would hit me.
1) Very, and 2) I suspect so, too. But without knowing your press, I have no way of knowing what might be in your contract. Frex, that fine for speaking negatively about the company--I didn't make that up (though I exaggerated the amount). There are at least two publishers with such contract clauses.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Those of us who have been looking at this sort of thing for awhile recognize that some contracts (particularly with startups and web-based publishers) contain clauses that make you wish that they were just asking you to wash their dog.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I checked out P&E last night, and found Draumr Publishing with no good or bad notes attached. WHich means it is okay.

I will note that I sent a submission in the wee hours this morning and dropped the total word count from the submission. (How about that for stupid!). They were kind enough to prompt me rather than simply hit the <DELETE> key. That's gotta be a plus in anyone's book.

Regards,
Scott

Kiva Wolfe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kivawolfe.net
I am surprised that P&E has nothing whatsoever on Draumr Publishing, considering I sent them a positive email months ago relating to my experiences.

Armchair quarterbacking aside, when researching a publisher and negotiating the terms of your contract, it is essential to seek out authors who can provide tangible documentation--good or bad--about the company. All of Draumr's authors may be contacted by way of the publisher's chat forum. In my case, the response I received was very constructive.

Last edited:

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious

Does anyone have any current knowledge/dealings with this publisher? I have looked at their website and still can't figure out if they are a POD or not.
I also noticed that in this thread, the question of advances came up a few times, but wasn't answered.
Also, does anyone understand about their marketing and promotional abilities? I mean, of the books they publish, do they sell well?
I am thinking of submitting to them, just trying to make sure they are a legit publisher that doesn't have hidden clauses in their contract.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know if they are a POD?

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any current knowledge/dealings with this publisher? I have looked at their website and still can't figure out if they are a POD or not.
I also noticed that in this thread, the question of advances came up a few times, but wasn't answered.
Also, does anyone understand about their marketing and promotional abilities? I mean, of the books they publish, do they sell well?
I am thinking of submitting to them, just trying to make sure they are a legit publisher that doesn't have hidden clauses in their contract.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know if they are a POD?

Yes, they 'print on demand'. They also sell e-books. As best i can tell they have no distribution in place. Check their titles on-line and call some bookstores to be certain.

Regards,
Scott

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Pass. No one working there appears to have the right experience, and if the "small publishing company in Frederick, Maryland, where they utilized the print-on-demand technology to offer new authors the chance to achieve their dreams." is who I think it is (*coughPublishAmericacouch*), that's even less of a good sign. A writer who didn't learn the difference between a real small publisher and a scam outfit like PA is the last person I'd want as my publisher.

Writing a book does not qualify you to be a publisher.

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
i submited to them but on the strength of your argument mrj, i wont even bother now

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No it's not. Uncle J, what would we do without you!

Um....look it up ourselves? James Macdonald is a wonderful font of information; however, it's advisable to check out a publisher's website yourself before submitting to them. Draumr clearly states: "Authors, we are currently focusing on romance novels of all sub-genres that feature BBW heroines."

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
Um....look it up ourselves? James Macdonald is a wonderful font of information; however, it's advisable to check out a publisher's website yourself before submitting to them. Draumr clearly states: "Authors, we are currently focusing on romance novels of all sub-genres that feature BBW heroines."

that would be too easy

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
that would be too easy

Too easy for who?

Failure to read the guidelines is one reason why slushpiles are full of material that the press can't use. Slushkiller category two. It won't be bought, at least by that press, no matter how wonderful it is. But it still takes up room. It takes time to open the package. To log it in. To skim the first page. To insert a rejection slip, or hit the button to send the rejection email.

When I say that you should submit your work in strict compliance with the guidelines, I mean it. And when I say that you shouldn't consider any press until you've read two or three of their recent releases, I mean that too.

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
Ah well. I heard back from them. I was rejected because of my geographical location. I had stated I live in Edinburgh but the lady from their submissions dept wrote:

"Unfortunately, we are unable to accept your submission due to your home location. At this time, we only accept submissions from residents of United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, as they are the areas where our print books are available for distribution and purchase."

The last time I checked Scotland was still part of the UK but clearly that doesnt cut it with them!