Last Movie You Watched...

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. Ok, I like 95% percent of the films I watch. I just don't bother with stuff that aint my thing. And I don't need anything deep or moving, just entertain me for 2 hours and I'm good. Absolutely love the first Sin City. Loved it. Having said all of that....this had to be one of the biggest let downs I've seen in a long time. I was seriously sad at how disappointing it was.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Rewatched Cat People, the orginal, with Simone Simon, the French actress who did have a cute, catlike face (and she was a terrific actress as well). Very creepy atmosphere, nicely directed and the acting was good. Not great, but quite good for a B film.

As for the Sin City sequel...agree with Axl P. I wuz disappoint.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Soooooo, I'm about 7 minutes into John Wick and I am . . . nervous. Is this puppy going to get fridged? Just tell me right now so I don't waste my fucking time. I have it on pause. I'm not kidding.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Starry Eyes. Aspiring actress dying for big break working at dead-end fast-food job sells soul for It All. (I am not spoiling anything. The poster spoils its own movie.)

For a selfish, whiny, unlikeable MC who treats her friends poorly and is generally a bitch, most of the movie is watchable. The Bad Guys chew the scenery in embarrassing fashion. Whatever movie magic they did at the very end to make the star look just different enough is excellent. (Unless they make her look not-quite-All-That for the first hour and 20 minutes instead.)

As a writer, I was most interested in the murders. They chose not to use any music underneath all of them, and I watched those scenes twice for the sounds, the blocking, and the facial expressions. Be warned, though: the last half hour is not for anyone with a remotely weak stomach.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Flu. New K-horror.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Absolutely adorable child, not annoying, excellent actor.

And they push EVERY SINGLE FUCKING MOM-BUTTON. EVERY SINGLE ONE. OMG. If I'd had any idea, I wouldn't have watched.

For those with no mom-buttons to push, the movie is about a fast-mutating strain of flu that kills in hours. The government is mostly filled with self-serving weasels and the usual bad things happen. Think The Last Man on Earth with better CGI and, frankly, all too easy to envision in this day and age.

Spoiler whited-out: Mom the doctor moves heaven and earth to get to her infected-and-cured kid. Then after the government almost bombs everyone in the city out of existence, she lets her 7yo go with the medical team--alone--so they can test the kid and suck her blood and do tons of frightening medical things to her--alone--after the kid's been through infection, separation, and near-incineration. I understand there are cultural differences, but AFTER the character's been established as super-mom, this was COMPLETELY WRONG. Gah.

Otherwise, well done and recommended IF and only IF you have no mom-buttons to push. The humorous snippet at the end didn't make up for the mom-buttons. Just sayin'

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Sushi Girl. Pretty straightforward crime thriller with lots of gratuitous violence...except, not as gratuitous as I was expecting. Also slightly more subversive than I was expecting. It's one of those of movies that takes place mostly in one room, with not a whole lot of action, so it's mainly dialogue-driven. I want more dark, gorey, exploitation films that rely on dialogue to tell their story. Good stuff. Also, LOOK AT THIS CAST:

Tony Todd, Noah Hathaway, James Duvall, Andy MacKenzie, and Mark Hamill. If you ever want to see The Joker kneecap Atreyu with a pair of chopsticks, this is your movie. It's sick, twisted, and lots of fun.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Highway to Hell. Found it on YouTube in its entirety. For a low-budget flick, it's pretty inventive. Acting is spotty...some good and some bad, but overall, enjoyable.

For old Hammer--it's HAMMER TIME!--I rewatched The Gorgon with the British dynamic duo of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Very atmospheric, solid acting...very good.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Birdman.

I think it was interesting, but I found most of the characters unlikable. And the ending had me confused.

matthew86

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The last movies I've watched was Guardians of the Galaxy.
That weird moment when you realize you're in love with the raccoon.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
"I just love the little things in life...like how much this is going to hurt." GOTG...LMAO. Great flick.

I preferred Gamora. Half of the morons in the theater were saying "Gamera." No, you fuckwits, that's a giant turtle with a very bad attitude. So in its honor, I rewatched Gamera and Gamera 3. Excellent for that type of flick. Really solid direction. #2 wasn't all that hot, but the first set the tone and the third left everyone hanging...terrific fight at the end and they got Kyoto Station perfect right down to the last detail.

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
Unfriended

It was actually pretty good. I was concerned about the heavy usage of "online activities" but it's an interesting play on the found footage genre.

davidh219

Walking Anachronism
Registered
Reaction score
Soooooo, I'm about 7 minutes into John Wick and I am . . . nervous. Is this puppy going to get fridged? Just tell me right now so I don't waste my fucking time. I have it on pause. I'm not kidding.

Probably a little late to help you, but yeah the puppy gets axed. It's one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time though, and for an action movie his motivation is fairly refreshing. I like that his wife wasn't killed, but just recently had died of an illness and that's what put him in an unstable state of mind, as opposed to just straight up murdered wife revenge syndrome.

msfowle

Mom, Wife & Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
msfowle.wordpress.com
I finally got to see Prometheus - LOVE Ridley Scott! It did not disappoint - I'm still going over theories in my head. My poor husband is not a fan of the 'weird' movies I love so much, but he soldiered through it.

I then had to make it up to him by watching Homefront with him on Netflix. I do enjoy Jason Statham, but it was a typical, predictable plot. Fun if you just want a 'date night' with the spouse.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Saw Ex Machina last night.

SciFi psychological thriller about AI.

It was a very interesting concept, but the movie was at least 30 minutes too long. Way too many awkward silences and dramatic pauses.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Memento. Little confusing at first, but if you can wrap your head around everything, it's pretty freakin good.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score

It was a very interesting concept, but the movie was at least 30 minutes too long. Way too many awkward silences and dramatic pauses.
Saw it today.
Thought it had a good concept but it hadn't been proofread enough times to smooth out the plotholes (or the generic AI birth resolution).

Furious 7
Big, stupid, fairly fun I guess.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score

Saw it today.
Thought it had a good concept but it hadn't been proofread enough times to smooth out the plotholes (or the generic AI birth resolution).
The ending should have gone another 5/10 minutes, just to make it more interesting.

Furious 7
Big, stupid, fairly fun I guess.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Big Hero 6 for the first time with hubs and kids. Wow. AMAZING. Such a satisfying movie experience. :)

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
Knights tale

Im a fan of the underdog at heart

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Mirror (Netflix). Blair Witch-style 100% shakycam found footage. I got through it because I was working a lot on my laptop and only looked up occasionally.

Overall, eh. The 3 actors weren't bad, the few FX were decent. The plot was maybe 3 sentences long. :tongue. It ended in the correct place. If you don't mind shakycam and want background noise, it's a useful film for that.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Star Wars Ep. IV: A New Hope, for May the 4th last night. Part one of my Year of Star Wars, not counting the billion times I've watched the trailer for Ep. VII. I decided to watch the director's cut, which I haven't seen since the re-releases in theaters in the late '90s. Wasn't as bad as I remember, "Han shot first," notwithstanding. It's a pretty clean edit, which a couple "deleted" scenes that I rather enjoyed once I got past the, "THEY CHAAAAAANGED IIIIIIIT" kneejerk dislike. I could still do without the CGI all over Mos Eisley though. CGI has no place in a movie filmed in the 1970s. I know this technology didn't exist then--it's distracting and kind of shitty anyway. Get it OFF my movie. Overall though, still magic.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
'The Frame'. I seem to find all of the mind-fuck movies that are out there. This one deserves to be seen. Original idea and they made it work spectacularly with a low budget. It's definitely worth watching if you like to think while you're watching.