Rejectomancy

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Got 2 answers today. One rejection from Nanoism (I'm starting to get used to them lol)... and my FIRST EVER ACCEPT (AHHH!). It's from 100wordstories. I had to read the email 3 times to get that it was saying 'yes' lol. (happy dance!)
Yay! Congrats! :hooray: (is it odd that I'm saying 'congrats' in the reject thread?)

I take requests too :)

Hang in there, everyone!
Can you play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? That's my favorite. :D

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
5-day Apex R. This one came from a different assistant editor than the 45 day R. Don't know if that's significant, or if they just spread the work around at random. However, I haven't seen a sign of the previous system's "Apex Team."

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
After about 108 hours, the response drought has ended with a form R from OG's Speculative Fiction Magazine. Finally! I get to submit something! ;)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a brutal rejection day for me...

Started out with a form R for a story that made it to the second round at DSF. I felt *really* good about that one, thought it was a great fit for DSF... and it did make round 2 but, in the end, not even a personal comment.

I resubmitted the same story to Apex. Got a form R for it 3 1/2 hours later. 3 1/2 hours!

Finally, a form R which I rather expected from Clarkesworld tonight.

In the process of re-subbing the stories elsewhere. At this volume the rejection is almost making me miss the crickets. Almost.

loldoc

Registered
Reaction score

Started out with a form R for a story that made it to the second round at DSF. I felt *really* good about that one, thought it was a great fit for DSF... and it did make round 2 but, in the end, not even a personal comment.

I resubmitted the same story to Apex. Got a form R for it 3 1/2 hours later. 3 1/2 hours!

In the process of re-subbing the stories elsewhere. At this volume the rejection is almost making me miss the crickets. Almost.

Oh, man, I totally feel for you. that's like a pop-up fly ball to center field for a double play. Well, it will only make the acceptances feel more special. I think.

Still in cricket territory, after a bit of buzz over Kulturkampf. Blech.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info

Urk... Sorry to hear about the cruddy day! Hopefully all the bad news got delivered in one icky batch.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

:( Oh, Alex! (((((hugs))))) for you.

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
EEEk! Fun thread!

Two submissions that I am waiting on... One to ASIM that has been out for over 40 days. Their average response time is 26 days. The odd thing is that it hasn't moved up to the second round in that time. My first submission to ASIM was moved into the second round after 9 days - rejected after 19. My story tracking number is there - just curious why it is languishing in the first round for so long.

That being said, ASIM seems to be in a very slow phase - only updating their submission tracker and sending out responses every two weeks - which appears to be highly unusual.

And then I have a submission with Apex that has been out for over 40 days. I suppose the fact that duotrope reports constant rejections ranging from 0 days to 20 days is a good sign. Good enough to give me hope at least. And that coupled with the story being almost exactly what they publish (from what I have read and their mentioned preferences) - makes me excited.

I've got 4 personal rejections and 8 form rejections for stories so far this year. ;)

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had my two tiny (400 word) stories both trot home today trailing personal Rs behind them.

Lord knows where they go next.

They can sit for a bit while I think about it.
It's a hard length to find paying markets for.

One is just a 400 word joke with a punch line, and the other one is too arty for it's own good.
Meh.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
102-day Bull Spec form R. I queried a few days ago and finally got a response from the publisher. I think that pushed my submission through a few days faster than the rest. What a long wait for, what appears to be, a common response time for mere slush. They make a great product, but I don't think their staff is adequate for the amount of submissions they receive.

This is one of my first stories. I feel like I've learned a lot since it was finished, so I have no doubt I can make it better.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Form Rs for 10Flash (22 days) and Analog (12 days -- they're really cranking through stuff at the moment!) in the past 24 hours.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Got a personal rejection from the Attic Toys anthology today. My story made the final round and apparently the editor liked it, but it just wasn't right for some reason or another. *sigh*

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh :(

That was such a good story!

(((((hugs)))))

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After nearly 3 months of waiting got a rejection from Fender Stitch. The story made it to the final round and the editor says he really liked it, but couldn't buy every story he wanted to buy. A flattering rejection, but a rejection nonetheless.

That's four days of rejections (several rather painful ones) in a row. Anyone got extra crickets I could borrow?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*throws crickets*

Sorry about the R's. :Hug2:

So does that mean Fender Stitch is reopening soon?

From the R form: "I am going to re-open submissions in the future with different details for writer compensation."

So no precise indication as to when, and I'm guessing they'll no longer offer pro rates.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
So no precise indication as to when, and I'm guessing they'll no longer offer pro rates.
Didn't Stupefying Stories do similar, reducing their semi-pro flat rate of $75 per story to $.01 per word? Or am I mistaken?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't Stupefying Stories do similar, reducing their semi-pro flat rate of $75 per story to $.01 per word? Or am I mistaken?

I'm not aware of Stupefying ever offering a flat rate for their stories, but it could be that I didn't begin submitting there until after the change.

Seems a bit unlikely though, since they accept flash subs.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I'm not aware of Stupefying ever offering a flat rate for their stories, but it could be that I didn't begin submitting there until after the change.

Same here. There was, however, a somewhat different "Stupefying Stories" (described by Mr. Bethke as the "first iteration") seemingly from 2010. I suppose that one might have paid a flat rate...

Sorry to hear about the Rs, all.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Seems a bit unlikely though, since they accept flash subs.
Hmmm, good point.

Sitting on a bunch of newborn crickets. All my long term subs have come home, save for my Borderlands 6 submission. They finally responded to my query with similar info to what Alex previously posted about the delays.

On a side note, does anyone have any idea the ratio of Duotrope to non-Duotrope submissions? I realize this is probably impossible to know from a writer's POV, but maybe some of the slush readers or editors / publishers of the board can weigh in?

Last edited: