• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

I am an available beta reader. (:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeperstar

Writing? I just hit the keyboard.
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, I didn't do this right.

Anyone who was looking at this and looking for a beta reader, I apologize. Apparently I cannot beta without more involvement.

Happy hunting all, and best of luck.

If Mods see this, please delete this thread.

Last edited:

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I would rather not: Beta read a story that has its central plot about romance. I have never been a fan of the Harlequinn novels and never have. Beta reading for the Twilight series would of been my worst nightmare. I would like a story to have a driving and diverse plot WITH romance as a side dish (or a secondary plot). If romance is a large portion of your novel, that's fine, as long as it is not THE story. It is hard for me to beta read anything that has it's ONLY driving story being about getting into the pants of the opposite sex.

:

You seem to be confusing romance with some other thing. Romance does not have "getting into the pants of the opposite sex" as its driving story, as you put it. As a romance writer, I find your dismissal of the genre demonstrates that you simply do not understand the genre. In fact, it sounds a little rude to me.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Sleeperstar, welcome.

How on earth have we all managed so far without you?

You could try contributing to the site before expecting folk to submit details to you for vetting before you graciously decide whether or not to take them on.

It's you who is the unknown quantity here.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, AW. I noticed that there are a lot of requests for Beta Readers and I decided to give my hand at it. I was thinking of posting my name in the sticky, but I was afraid my services might be overlooked because I don't know how many times people check it. Please read through all of this before you reply to this thread.

So, a little about me:

Beta Bio: I'm 24 and I have had a lot of experience with writing. While I did not graduate with an English degree in college, many of my work experiences have led me to write a lot. I graduated from University several years ago with two degrees: one of them a legal studies for a legal profession and the other computer animation. I've worked in a lot of paralegal positions to gear up being a lawyer. I've written a lot of legal documentation with incredible detail and wording. I have also written many science papers and research papers, sometimes for scholastic reasons and or my own scientific craving. This has made me very knowledgeable about many (albeit random) things.

I will be a harsh beta reader. That means if you are looking for someone who will only give you approval, you might not like me. I try to be the Yahtzee (a gamer reviewer) of the literary world. I will address all of your weakspots and I will be brutally honest if your story lacks charisma or a shred of originality (an instance if it's a Mary Sue story, we might wrestle a lot about stories). I will be harsh about sentence structure and details. Let it be known that I am not trying to be a jerk to hurt your feelings, but I am helping polish up your novel. I am sure you are coming to me because you feel your story needs improvement, and I will try my best to deliver as much improvement as I can.

If your story is already refined and just needs someone to proof it for plotholes or character ambiguity, I deliver what you ask. If you've done well, you've done well. Do not think I will always try to find things to criticize.

My Strengths: Detail. Detail, detail, detail. I am a person who expects my writers to give their readers something to work with. I am someone who will give you honest opinions about your characters, plotlines, and descriptions. That means if you want me to imagine a glacier landscape, I will tell you what my mind came up with what you gave me. If it does not line up, I will give suggestions on how you can succinctly describe what you were seeing. The same goes with characters. If you are trying to get a character to be sarcastic, but what comes off as just one stupid pun after the other, I will try to help shape your character come across as the quality you wish to exhibit.

The next strength is spelling. I'm a spelling nazi. Being someone who's had to wrestle with large words all the time (and having an attorney as a boss) I'm pretty merciless about spelling and word usage.

My Weaknesses: Grammar. It is something I am working on. Legal papers can have a good deal of run ons and I have become rather adjusted to that writing style. I, myself, use the semi-colon too liberally and often times make sentences seem like fragments because of my premature usage of periods. I avoid commas like the plague. I'm trying to improve in this area, though, and beta reading is one of my ways of developing improvement.

Preferred genres: I can read anything. From smut, to fantasy, to romance, to science fiction, etc.

I would rather not: Beta read a story that has its central plot about romance. I have never been a fan of the Harlequinn novels and never have. Beta reading for the Twilight series would of been my worst nightmare. I would like a story to have a driving and diverse plot WITH romance as a side dish (or a secondary plot). If romance is a large portion of your novel, that's fine, as long as it is not THE story. It is hard for me to beta read anything that has it's ONLY driving story being about getting into the pants of the opposite sex.

If you are still interested, please post a summary about your story, the genre, the rating of it, and the length/assumed length. I will then PM if I will take on your story. Good hunting, dear writers. :)
Wow. Allow me to don the Gloves of Tact before I type out my reply.

I second the welcome and hope you will come to both give and receive as much from this site as many of us do. But I'm worried that may not happen, because you're already ruffling metaphorical feathers.

It's apparent you have not taken the time to get acquainted with AW before posting this. I'll assume it's an eagerness to be of service, because that's the only positive spin I can think of.

Maybe it's just me, but I have to wonder at the reasoning behind belittling a genre you'd prefer not to beta. I'd rather not read westerns, myself, but I don't announce that reading one causes me agony, because that goes against our basic tenet: Respect Your Fellow Writer.

I urge you to spend a bit of time reading the boards dedicated to the genres which are of greatest interest to you. Observe, ask and answer questions, and develop a feel for how we interact, and how we continue to show basic respect even when we disagree. Offer critique or overall feedback on those boards' Share Your Work posts. In time, you may well earn a reputation as a valuable critic, and receive a far more positive response to offers to beta.

Maryn, genuinely glad to welcome you

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! :)

Your writing experience seemed to be mainly aimed at legal, research and science papers. I don't see any fiction mentioned (unless I missed it, if so I do apologise).

So I am curious, is there a special reason why you offer beta-services for fiction and not for non-fiction (unless I missed that too) despite that being where your experience is?

Sleeperstar

Writing? I just hit the keyboard.
Registered
Reaction score
It appears I have rustled feathers and it was not intentional. I was only trying to lend a helping hand and a critical eye. Many writers I've talked to wanted harsh criticism and not a pat on the back, I was only trying to deliver what some asked for. I do respect my fellow writer, I just also hold testament of honesty as well.

I did read a few of the stickies and I thought what I was doing was all right. If not, by all means, you can delete this thread. Once again, I apologize, and good hunting all.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No harm done whatsoever. We're still glad to have you! Now, if only someone would help eat these holiday cookies. Know anybody?

Maryn, sure you meant well

FiveStagesToNormal

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to agree. I'm pretty new and maybe don't "understand" the real world of AW yet, but I thought you wrote a pretty good introduction, and would have loved to have found you a year ago when I was at that stage of my novel. Welcome to AW -- hope to see you around more!

Status
Not open for further replies.