Nail cutting/grinding

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Halp!

Long story short. I tried trimming nails a while back and ended up cutting to the quick. It was my elderly dog and it wigged me out so much that I just couldn't bring myself to cutting them again.

So I started making the half hour trek (one way) to the vet every few weeks to keep them trimmed up. The travel is starting to be really hard on my elderly lady.

Well, I'm willing to keep doing that if I can't get up the intestinal fortitude to do it myself but I'm not willing to give up just yet. My brother suggested using my Dremel to grind them down.

I've gone online and seen a few tutorials on how to do it. My question is, any suggestions on the grit size I should use?

Two small dogs, one about 20lbs and elderly and in poor health (13 years), one is 10lbs and is 14 months old. I think if I am careful and go slow, I will not risk the bloodshed and frayed nerves like last time.

I know to get them used to the sound of the dremel and the feel of it and we'll be starting that tonight. But when we're ready, I am not sure which one to use or if I need to get a grind/sander size.

Halp!

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen people use a PediPaws trimmer. It's a blast to make fun of all these products we see in infomercials. But this one seems to work.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome. :)

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Arrgh, I hate doing nails!

Please be aware that you can still get too close to the quick using a grinder. Kids gave us a Pedipaws grinder several years back. My husband uses it on our 90lb German shepherd. It works well but it takes a lonnng time, like 25-30 minutes per paw.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a Pedi Paw and am going to use it on my GSD when I get him but he'll be a puppy. II want him get used to not only having his nails done and but having his feet handled. I might upgrade to a Dremel when he gets bigger.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
A dremel works much faster than a pedipaw. I tried a pedipaw once and it didn't get through one claw before the batteries ran out. And the batteries were new.

Be aware that it smells hideous. Basically like burning hair. I loathe using the dremel for that reason and use the clipper things, and reserve dremel use for rounding them out all pretty before shows.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
If you're concerned about using something powered, a simple hand file will do. Some of our clients can get away with an emery board, but most use a wood or metal file from the hardware store - much more difficult to go too far - and, if you do, you still barely touch the quick.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Re: Hand filing. If the noise of the Dremel is a problem, hand-filing might be the solution. Also, with either method, another advantage of filing is that you can do it more often. With cutting, you have to have enough excess nail to make it worthwhile, and to get a grip.
With filing, you could make it a regular part of grooming or down time. That way, they're always accustomed to it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I just used toenail-clippers on our dogs, cats and poultry (who sometimes needed their beaks trimming as well as their claws). The trick is to take tiny bits off at a time, and to cut at an angle which keeps the claws sharpish--don't cut them square across, as then you're more likely to get into the quick and the nail can fray (it's very fibrous), and it wears down in the wrong way then.

I only ever once cut a nail too far down, and although it was a bit messy (I squealed, and our dog decided to react by running about a lot...) the dog didn't seem to mind one bit. Bless him.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I never thought of using the Dremel. The self-wash place I take Kaylee to after the dog park does nail trimming for $5 with a wash, so I just have them do it.

I trim the cats claws myself, but Kaylee's claws are black and I can't tell where the quick begins, so I'm a coward about doing it myself.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
When you use a Dremel, just be VERY CAREFUL not to get the dog's fur caught in it :eek:. Some people put nylon hose over the foot and let the claws poke through to avoid this possibility.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My sister's dog chews her nails down herself. Is this not common with dogs?

I had a cat who used to bite his toes nails. Dang, I hated the noise it made. He knew I didn't like him doing it, so he'd look right at me, hold his paw in his mouth, wait until I was looking then snap, snap, snap.

When you use a Dremel, just be VERY CAREFUL not to get the dog's fur caught in it :eek:. Some people put nylon hose over the foot and let the claws poke through to avoid this possibility.

Now, that's a good idea.

Last edited:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I had both a cat and a dog (not at the same time, though) who chewed their nails. I'd find little nail bits on the floor all the time. ew.

Fortunately, our dog gets walked on the pavement, which is enough to keep her nails trimmed. She hates having her feet touched, so I'm just as glad I don't have to do it.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
UPDATE!

After several days of looking at the dremel, hearing the dremel, feeling the dremel...

I trimmed down dog nails. there was no blood, no tears, no meltdowns.

...and the dogs did well, too.

GO TEAM BEARILOU!

thanks to everyone for their support and advice. this is why I love AW so very much.

:e2arms:

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's the one at the back of the leg that Pudgie chews. The one that doesn't get ground down on tarmac?

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
YAY! Glad it worked out. I found a five week old rat terrier puppy in a parking lot a couple weeks ago and I'm dreading clipping his tiny toenails. I never thought to use a FILE. Nice.