can it be to good to be true? - WL Screenplay Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

valen_sinclair

Blowing bubbles in the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, newbie to the boards, but I have a quick question for you all.

I have been working on a new science fiction show called colony now for about a month, and have a first draft script ready. I was searching for some agents in the states, (I feel this is more of an american show than british) and came across the following.

wlscreenplayagency.com

I entered the details they required and got a mail back this morning saying they would like to take a look at my work!
Now I knew this was a good idea and all, but it is the first screenplay I have worked on, could I really have struck gold first time out?
The premise is a strong one, and I believe (not insanely) that this does have the potential to be one of the top shows in the future.
It deals with mankind HAVING to take to the stars as a species, but doesn't have your typical alien of the week feature. Instead it deals with humainty trying to cope with problems in an enclosed enviorment.

Could I really have struck gold first time out....am a little nervous about it all.

let me know what you lot think.....

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
Unfortunately, it is. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I, too, was in your shoes once. For more info go here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62493

EDIT: To provide you with more info, they basically "suggest" you hire one of their "editors", thus paying them a good amount of money, to "brush up" your script. We haven't yet been aware of anyone, I don't think, that has profited from this company. More information can be found in the Beware Forum.

Last edited:

valen_sinclair

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your query to the WL Screenplay Agency and Management Co.
Based on your query form information we would like to see your work and
learn a little bit more about you.

1) Would you please send us an electronic copy
of your screenplay for further evaluation?

Please email your manuscript to
[email protected] .

2) Would you please answer these 2 questions
in the body of the SAME email? (Just copy and paste
the questions).

A. How long have you been writing, and
what are your goals as a writer?

B. Do you consider your writing 'ready-to-go', or do you think it needs
some polishing? If you have had coverage or a formal critique please list
the details and dates and discuss the changes you made. If you have worked
with accredited screenwriters, please discuss that as well.

You may send either 30 or so pages, or the entire screenplay, whichever you
are more comfortable sending to us. Your screenplay is completely safe
within our company. We take care to properly manage all access and if we
don't end up working together, we delete all files.

Please DO NOT include any questions with your submission. If you have a
question, please send it to [email protected] where the proper
people may address your question. Most of the questions you may have are
answered on the website and at the bottom of this email. Please see the
FAQs below.

this is the message i got in the bulk text.....it mentions nothing about any fees etc...are we talking about the same company?

Sunshine13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
I just noticed the WL in front of it, so perhaps not. HOWEVER, I still think it is the same people. Check out http://www.thescreenplayagency.com Same exact format and look. And same person, Sherry Fine. I learned the best way to approach this is by doing research. The Beware Forum is very helpful, as is some other sites listed there (I believe).

valen_sinclair

Registered
Reaction score
Sherry Fine is the person who sent this.....so I should just ignore it?

just checked the website and it is the same......

damn it, and i was so happy.

Sunshine13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
I know, I really do. I was there 3 weeks ago, but I thankfully didn't go all the way with sending the query in because a member here warned me in time. It really does burst your bubble. :( But there's plenty of good agents out there. Truth is, getting one is never easy, and when it seems easy, it's probably a scam or something similar.

MrJayVee

Pro scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theworkingscreenwriter.blogspot.com
The Screenplay Agency...

AVOID THE SCREENPLAY AGENCY!! These rip-off artists have been around for a long time. They will do nothing for you except empty your wallet.

It amazes me that these guys are still in business..and I can't believe budding writers still fall for their con. I recently posted something about this on my blog:

http://theworkingscreenwriter.blogspot.com/2007/08/warning-part-2.html

valen_sinclair

Registered
Reaction score
AVOID THE SCREENPLAY AGENCY!! These rip-off artists have been around for a long time. They will do nothing for you except empty your wallet.

It amazes me that these guys are still in business..and I can't believe budding writers still fall for their con. I recently posted something about this on my blog:

http://theworkingscreenwriter.blogspot.com/2007/08/warning-part-2.html

people still fall for it because we know no better, also the fact that they don't ask for ANY money up front might help as well don't cha think

valen_sinclair

Registered
Reaction score
yes I don't need those types of comments.....they don't help and just go to show the arrogance of some people.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I don't believe there was any arrogance in Jim's reply, just genuine concern that so many unsuspecting writers are sucked into the same big scam. It's good that you found out when you did, valen.

I say this lots, but if you haven't already, check out the screenwriting tips thread in this forum, which contains links and info that you may find useful, including how to obtain contact info for prodcos, agents, managers and contests. Most aspiring screenwriters are in the same boat as you, trying to find places to submit to.

-Derek

MrJayVee

Pro scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theworkingscreenwriter.blogspot.com
Clarification...

Hold yer horses, gang. My intent is not to put down any of the writers here on this board. (By the way, what part of my previous post was an "insult"? Was it "I can't believe budding writers still fall for their con"? C'mon.) I certainly understand how eager writers can get sucked up into a scam. It's just that I've dealt with so many people who have paid good money to the creeps, er, folks at The Screenplay Agency -- money they could have saved had they done some research on the Net. Remember the old saying: "Look before you leap." In the screenwriting game, truer words were never spoken.

Last edited:

Sunshine13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
It's all good hun, I put a smiley face, I wasn't trying to be nasty. As naive as some of us may be when it comes to this business, (and most of us know it, some may not...) needing to be reminded of how we keep making poor decisions isn't helpful hehe. I know you were just trying to help. Sorry if I came across as jumpy or what not. Hug? ;)

valen_sinclair

Registered
Reaction score
same here....as i said, we don't know until we look.

i didn't send them anything, and I found a forum to ask about them before i did....

but unless your a chick, i don't need a hug...

mortins

Registered
Reaction score
wow, I thank everyone for posting about WL SCREENPLAY AGENCY

I, too, was just about an inch away from taking the next step with this company, consulting a 3rd party critique. Good thing I didn't, thanks to doing my research and following my instincts of researching this company, and bless my GOD ABOVE, just what I figured, a total scam. All types of "scam alerts" will pop up about this "WL Screenplay Writer Agency!" and for the ones that's defending them, you've gotta be on their payroll, 'cause these people ARE NOT LEGIT! true enough, they're not charging you a fee, but on the other hand, they're referring you to a 3rd party person to critic your material and will charge you a fee. ALL A SCAM PEOPLE AND A REDFLAG!!!!!! like everyone else is saying on here..RUN RUN RUN RUN from them, don't spend your hard earned money.

however, is anyone on here familiar with a website called www.scriptdelivery.net ? are they legit? because they sound pretty tempting also. feel free to email me back, anyone, that has taken a look at this site and to give me their opinion about it.

Last edited:

mortins

Registered
Reaction score
and this is what I sent back to the WL Screenplay Agency, maybe it'll scare 'em

I am no longer interested in doing business with your company. I've seen too many negativities concerning your company, as well as complaints. I am not sending back the contract, nor is it necessary for me to consult your third-party critique that you recommend. It's been a pleasure doing "brief" business with you and I hope you and your company seriously check into the intense and exclusive complaints regarding your company. They are not nice and neither are they pleasant ones.

P.S. Most definitely destroy my partial screenplay material because it was a bogus one and it was an incompleted one also. I really thought you were a legitimate company, turns out, you're not.

P.P.S I also read about the frivolous lawsuit filed by Robert Fletcher, (that was dismissed), you all lost against Ann Crispin and Victoria Strauss, the principal operators of the Writer Beware website, and that Robert Fletcher(whoever he is) has been ordered to pay their costs–but even more that the Court has acknowledged the bad faith nature of this lawsuit, which was brought with the express intention of harassing Writer Beware into silence.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
however, is anyone on here familiar with a website called www.scriptdelivery.net ? are they legit? because they sound pretty tempting also. feel free to email me back, anyone, that has taken a look at this site and to give me their opinion about it.
If it smells like baloney, it's stale baloney. Never bulk mail your query - if you got money to throw around, join the online Hollywood Creative Directory or IMDB Pro and get numbers, addresses, development names and credits for each and every studio you query. For agents go to the WGA website for the authorized list. Don't forget to register AND copywrite your script!

Klazart

Registered
Reaction score
If it smells like baloney, it's stale baloney. Never bulk mail your query - if you got money to throw around, join the online Hollywood Creative Directory or IMDB Pro and get numbers, addresses, development names and credits for each and every studio you query. For agents go to the WGA website for the authorized list. Don't forget to register AND copywrite your script!

I thought the process of registering copyrighted your script automatically? Or is there a separate process for this?

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
You didn't say how the TV show and your script were linked - whether it sparked the idea or whether it's actually a spec script for the show in question. Either way, it sounds like you haven't put the script you wrote under extensive scrutiny from other writers to work out any potential kinks. 99% of the time, first drafts are not ready to send out. I'd sit on it and polish until it shines.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
This Agency is a scam, and Sherry Fine is pretty notorious in the writers' world as a scam artist.

As to the copyright deal - you're half right. Since we're part of the Burne Convention, works of are are copyrighted the moment you create them.

The muddy part is proving it. Not quite so bad in the world of novels, because the work shopping a first novel around is typically not amazing money, so it's more important to the original creator.

A fresh idea, well executed, can be worth a small fortune in tv/film. Most legit places won't even look at an uncopyrighted script for fear of being sued later - similar ideas happen all the time, and no one wants to deal with the headaches.

Higher stakes, more competition, more worry about lawsuits...

So, send your polished script to the library of Congress. For $45 you have records of that particular piece of writing being yours.

Ron Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
as above. sherry fine is a scumbag of the highest order. don't even think of going near anything she has dealings with.

jcr62

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, newbie to the boards, but I have a quick question for you all.

I have been working on a new science fiction show called colony now for about a month, and have a first draft script ready. I was searching for some agents in the states, (I feel this is more of an american show than british) and came across the following.

wlscreenplayagency.com

I entered the details they required and got a mail back this morning saying they would like to take a look at my work!
Now I knew this was a good idea and all, but it is the first screenplay I have worked on, could I really have struck gold first time out?
The premise is a strong one, and I believe (not insanely) that this does have the potential to be one of the top shows in the future.
It deals with mankind HAVING to take to the stars as a species, but doesn't have your typical alien of the week feature. Instead it deals with humainty trying to cope with problems in an enclosed enviorment.

Could I really have struck gold first time out....am a little nervous about it all.

let me know what you lot think.....

Run for the hills. WL Screenplay Agency is a fraud.Go inline with "Writer Beware" and see what they say about these thieves. WL responds to EVERYONE because the are ripoff artists. They will recommend that your script needs work and will offer their services for a fee. This is their true business. Also, go online with "Editore and Predators", they also monitor these parasite phony agencies. Good luck !

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Eh... the OP asked this in 2007 and hasn't logged on since so I think it's safe to say he's gone for good. Thanks for all the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.