• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Finding the right word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromodynamic

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So, with English not being my native language, I often struggle to find the exact word that I want to use for a specific action, situation, thing etc. Often it's a really simple word which I can find via simple translations and synonyms, but sometimes I find myself searching for a word that I know exists, but it's something rarely used and hard to find.

Is there a reliable way or technique to reverse-dictionary your way into finding the specific word you're searching for?

And while I'm here, let me just ask one more related question: Besides reading a lot of books, what's the best way to improve your vocabulary?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
There's really no substitute for reading if you want to build vocabulary. Studying word lists isn't all that helpful because you don't get the words in the context they're actually used.

The best way to find that perfect, less-common word you're sure exists but can't quite bring to mind? Ask a bunch of writers.

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
Check out WordWeb which is available for free.

WordWeb Pro costs you, but you can purchase different language dictionaries to suit your needs.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
For every word in the English language there are at least half a dozen other words that have similar-but-not-quite-identical meanings. Even those of us who are native speakers and have larger-than-average vocabularies can get caught in the same struggle you describe, searching for just the right word with just the right nuance.

I find thesaurus.com a very useful resource. It's paired with a dictionary, which is also helpful.

Word lists and other artificial vocabulary-building exercises are ok if your goal is to pass a vocabulary test, but to actually develop a working vocabulary to write with there's really no good substitute for reading widely and learning through context the connotations of words & phrases as well as their surface meanings.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Some useful tools:

TheSage, a free dictionary and thesaurus which you install and let run all the time, then when you want to root around a word's neighborhood, select that word in your word processor, hit your chosen key combination, and TheSage will pop up. The interface takes a little rooting around in at first, but the program is very useful.

But even more useful, a printed synonymy, which gives you not only a bunch of related words, but also their fine differences in meaning. This is especially useful when English isn't your first language.

An inexpensive edition of my favorite synonymy:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/shop/products/books/dictionary-of-synonyms-antonyms.htm

(Some years ago I got it as a nice thick hardback for about $8, brand new.)

Cereus

Few Nish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I had something like this when I was about 12 years old and I found it really helpful. I guess you would need to flip through the actual book to see if the words are appropriate for you.

Chromodynamic

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and helpful tips. They're very appreciated. :)

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I use the Flip Dictionary. Looks like it's out of print, but I really like it. It groups words by subject, so if you're thinking of a specific type of word, like if you know it has something to do with music, you can flip to that topic for a long list of related words. I know I'm not describing it very well, but it's useful for those times when a regular thesaurus or dictionary won't work.

Chromodynamic

Registered
Reaction score
That seems very interesting! Thanks for the suggestion!

Is there something similar to it, but more recent? Would be great to have it on a digital format (well, I found it and got it on a *cough* digital *cough* format.) A simple search for a word yield so many results!

wweisser

七国山病院へ&#
Registered
Reaction score
Website
metanautics.net
Sorry if this suggestion isn't helpful, but try not spending any time thinking of alternate words in a first draft. If you can't think of the right word in 3-5 seconds, add a highlight so you'll see it later and move on. You'll save a lot of time not worrying about sentences or scenes which will be deleted later, and when you do go back and look up those words you can do it all in the same session, which will make you more focused on the task.

Chromodynamic

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this suggestion isn't helpful, but try not spending any time thinking of alternate words in a first draft. If you can't think of the right word in 3-5 seconds, add a highlight so you'll see it later and move on. You'll save a lot of time not worrying about sentences or scenes which will be deleted later, and when you do go back and look up those words you can do it all in the same session, which will make you more focused on the task.

Thank you. It's actually something I'm doing right now. Alternate words are not something that I put in my stories just to polish it up, I like to keep it as simple as possible, but I guess you meant the right word there too.

But as I've said, English is not my native language, and the problem persists even at the end of sessions. Sometimes I genuinely don't know the word I'm looking for, i just know it exists and I've read it before somewhere.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a trusted beta who's a native English speaker, maybe you can enlist them to help you with word-selection. (E.g. if you flag a word you're not satisfied with in a draft, they can maybe discuss it with you and/or suggest alternatives.)

wweisser

七国山病院へ&#
Registered
Reaction score
Website
metanautics.net
I must commend you for having the guts to write in a non-native language. I dabble in languages but the idea of trying to write fiction in a language other than English scares the crap out of me.

When I do need to write in another language, though, one of the resources I use is http://lang-8.com/. It's a site where native speakers will correct your text for you, and you can pay them back by correcting people who are trying to learn your language. I do see people posting snippets there that are fiction, but I don't know if it would suit your purposes or not. Figured it was worth mentioning, though.

Chromodynamic

Registered
Reaction score
If you have a trusted beta who's a native English speaker, maybe you can enlist them to help you with word-selection. (E.g. if you flag a word you're not satisfied with in a draft, they can maybe discuss it with you and/or suggest alternatives.)

I guess that's possible. The few times native English speakers tried editing chapters of my stories, they found quite a few subtle mistakes that I missed and would have always missed on re-reads because of English not being my native.

But finding a native English beta-reader for a whole novel would be a bit problematic. I don't think I'll be able to find one other than paying for a thorough editing job.

And I need a way to find the right word while I'm writing the paragraphs. If I didn't have this problem, I would write so much faster...

I must commend you for having the guts to write in a non-native language. I dabble in languages but the idea of trying to write fiction in a language other than English scares the crap out of me.

It's probably weird and pretty rare to see someone whose native is English to write fiction in another language, but is the opposite equally so? English is quite the global language now, a lot of people speak it, the market is huge for an English book compared to my native one (Albanian).

I just want as many people as possible to read my stories. Writing them in English makes sense I think.

When I do need to write in another language, though, one of the resources I use is http://lang-8.com/. It's a site where native speakers will correct your text for you, and you can pay them back by correcting people who are trying to learn your language. I do see people posting snippets there that are fiction, but I don't know if it would suit your purposes or not. Figured it was worth mentioning, though.

Thanks, every suggestion is helpful. :)

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
sure thing

Not well known, but apparently if you enter the definition into thesaurus.com, it will tried to find a word match. For example, "eat away."

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/eat away?s=t

returns erode.

Now try "fall down."

Not bad for a computer, and no substitute for the human brain, but when your stuck, it's useful for brainstorming.

Chromodynamic

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, thesaurus is an important part of my current way. I can't do without it.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
But finding a native English beta-reader for a whole novel would be a bit problematic. I don't think I'll be able to find one other than paying for a thorough editing job.

Why would it be hard to find an English-speaking beta-reader? I've used at least a dozen of them for my novels! And I never paid a dime for their work. Most beta-readers expect a story exchange, where you critique each other's novels. Occasionally, you'll find one willing to do it for nothing, since it's good experience. Just credit them in your novel's acknowledgements and they'll be happy.

There is a sub-forum here at AW where you can ask for beta-readers. When you're ready, go there and post a blurb describing your story, and specify exactly what kind of help you need. You'll probably get a few nibbles.

Chromodynamic

Registered
Reaction score
Why would it be hard to find an English-speaking beta-reader? I've used at least a dozen of them for my novels! And I never paid a dime for their work. Most beta-readers expect a story exchange, where you critique each other's novels. Occasionally, you'll find one willing to do it for nothing, since it's good experience. Just credit them in your novel's acknowledgements and they'll be happy.

There is a sub-forum here at AW where you can ask for beta-readers. When you're ready, go there and post a blurb describing your story, and specify exactly what kind of help you need. You'll probably get a few nibbles.

Ah, thanks for the suggestion. I haven't actually gotten to write a full blown novel yet, just short stories, so that's probably why I'm still not thinking too much about those things.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You can get your short stories beta-read, too. Just make sure you mention the length in your request, so volunteers know how much time they'll need to invest.

Status
Not open for further replies.