• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Critique Group -- Portland, OR

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

I'd like to form a critique group for fiction writers, but the catch is I'd like to do so locally (in Portland, OR) so we can actually meet in person for discussions.

I've been in critique groups before, but it's been more than a year since I was an active member in one. I've also tried going the Craigslist route for finding new groups, and haven't had much luck. So I'm taking a chance and hoping that there are some Portlanders here on AW who may be interested!

(Conversely, if you live in Portland and are a member of an awesome critique group that is open to new members, I'd love to hear from you, too! :D )

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Have you looked at Willamette Writers? They host the big conference in August. They probably have critique groups.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Hi, Stella,

Cascade Writers is having our annual workshop in Vancouver, WA on July 26-29 -- quite a few Portland writers will be there. PM me your email address and I'll get info from interested folks and send it to you!

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
What part of Portland do you live in? I live far out northeast county so have to travel to get to most groups.

I'm in the process of changing from one to another due to job schedule changes. I used to go to one every Wednesday at noon in Oregon City. It was a grant-funded group and limited to women but any type or experience with writing.

I've attended one meeting of the other group I'm hoping will work for me. It meets inner northeast on Thursday evenings. Open group through meetup but limited to number who can attend each week due to space-time constraints. It's aimed at fiction, both men and women.

I'm on vacation this week but will try to get you more info if either if those is interesting to you.

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Have you looked at Willamette Writers? They host the big conference in August. They probably have critique groups.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Hi Siri,

Thank you for this suggestion; I'll definitely check the group out!

Cheers,
Stella

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Stella,

Cascade Writers is having our annual workshop in Vancouver, WA on July 26-29 -- quite a few Portland writers will be there. PM me your email address and I'll get info from interested folks and send it to you!

Hi Karen,

I sent you a PM. Thanks! :)

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
You should check out Northwest Independent Writers Association: http://www.niwawriters.com/ I live in Salem, so I wouldn't be able to go to Portland too often for a critique group, but they might already have some in place. What genres do you write?

Thank you for this link; I will check it out!

I write historical fiction/literary fiction. How about you?

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
What part of Portland do you live in? I live far out northeast county so have to travel to get to most groups.

I'm in the process of changing from one to another due to job schedule changes. I used to go to one every Wednesday at noon in Oregon City. It was a grant-funded group and limited to women but any type or experience with writing.

I've attended one meeting of the other group I'm hoping will work for me. It meets inner northeast on Thursday evenings. Open group through meetup but limited to number who can attend each week due to space-time constraints. It's aimed at fiction, both men and women.

I'm on vacation this week but will try to get you more info if either if those is interesting to you.

Hi Juniper,

I'm in SE -- not too far from Oregon City, actually. But I work M-F, so anything during business hours is out for me.

I'd definitely be interested in the Thursday evening group. If you can PM me more info on that when you have a chance, I'd appreciate it. Enjoy your vacation! :)

--Stella

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent you a PM with the link to the group's meeting info. I plan to go this week and maybe bring something for them to look at.

I don't know much about this critique group, as I've only gone to one of the meetings due to schedule conflicts. But I'm planning on going for the next few weeks to see how it unfolds.

So here's my impression so far: mixed group of experience/genre, mostly bringing in WIP (works-in-progress) rather than brilliantly polished and ready to submit.

This is more like a workshop group - "do you think this works?" "what do you think about my characterizations?" "not sure if my storyline makes sense, what do you think?"

That's how my previous critique group in Oregon City functioned, mostly, so I'm comfortable with that. If you're looking more for a true beta readers group, where people pass out their finished pieces and are just looking for beta feedback, you might not get that here.

Although, this group seems to be flexible and somewhat willing to go along with what the writers want. There's a couple of guys who started the group who function as coordinators/leaders, and while there are some "rules" I think they just want to have an active group to attend.

So far my overall impression is favorable but as I said, I'm new to the group and not sure really what you want/need. Let me know if you want me to talk more about this. Maybe see you there?

Oh - and the group "membership" is huge but only 8-10 people are active, it seems. And some others have expressed interest in a group that has different "rules" so there's a chance of forming a separate group from those, if you prefer.

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
Hello, Oregonians! I'm in Portland and have just started to look at group possibilities. I write fantasy/sci-fi and would want same or similar genre writers to work with. I've previously done critique work via email; in person would be new for me. I'm new to the forums here, too, so a PM would be the easiest way to get in touch with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.