Universal Launches Fellowship For Aspiring Writers

Jarrean

Twitter: @Jah_Gifted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The Emerging Writers Fellowship is an exciting new program at Universal Pictures that is designed to identify and cultivate new and unique voices with a passion for storytelling. We are looking for talented screenwriters who have the potential to thrive, but don’t have access to or visibility within the industry.

http://www.nbcunicareers.com/universal-pictures’-emerging-writers-fellowship

------------

I'm ineligible--due to having no industry contacts for the recommendations.

Good luck to any of you who may apply.

Victoria Aveyard

doing things occasionally
Registered
Reaction score
No, most studio fellowships include payment for the year of work, as they're basically taking you out of the job market. Many lead to jobs writing in TV writers rooms or, as it seems to be with the Universal program, with a direct line to pitch films or submit spec scripts. The studio fellowships are a phenomenal asset and are highly competitive for very good reason.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, most studio fellowships include payment for the year of work, as they're basically taking you out of the job market. Many lead to jobs writing in TV writers rooms or, as it seems to be with the Universal program, with a direct line to pitch films or submit spec scripts. The studio fellowships are a phenomenal asset and are highly competitive for very good reason.

I've heard that thing about these things lead to jobs, but someone I know who's been a writer on a number of network shows said they've never, not once, run into anyone who came out of one of those programs. Not saying it doesn't happen; I just suspect it happens less than they'd like you to think.

Victoria Aveyard

doing things occasionally
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't happen often, but there's a far higher chance of breaking into a show after going through a fellowship. I went to college for screenwriting in Los Angeles and several of my classmates broke in this way, if I remember correctly.

BruinScribe

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that thing about these things lead to jobs, but someone I know who's been a writer on a number of network shows said they've never, not once, run into anyone who came out of one of those programs. Not saying it doesn't happen; I just suspect it happens less than they'd like you to think.

Actually...these fellowships lead to jobs all the time. I'm friends with the current Fox Fellow--who has a deal with FX now and is developing his own series. Another two friends were in the WB Writer's Workshop last year and they are currently staffed on "The Originals" and "The Michael J. Fox Show" respectively...and another friend was selected for the WB Workshop 4 years ago that and she got staffed on "Gossip Girl" and has been on various writing staffs ever since. I also have two friends who won ABC Fellowships. One was staffed on "Nashville" last season and is currently staffed on "The Blacklist." The other went straight from the program to the staff of "Ugly Betty" and has been working on various other shows ever since. All of them are repped by the top 3, three-letter-abbreviated agencies.

So yes. These programs do lead to seriously successful careers.

Last edited:

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

While not everyone who emerges from these kinds of fellowships ends up with a job, I know plenty of working writers who have come out fellowships. The Disney Fellowship, for example, staffs their shows with grads from their program. Any of these fellowships outweighs the zillions of useless contests that aspiring writers shovel money into year after year.

Ron Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
i'm kinda confused :
"We are looking for talented screenwriters who have the potential to thrive, but don’t have access to or visibility within the industry. "

"Application Requirements
Two letters of recommendation from industry professionals."

how do you get recommendation letters if you don't have access to the industry?

Saul Rothman

Registered
Reaction score
i'm kinda confused :
"We are looking for talented screenwriters who have the potential to thrive, but don’t have access to or visibility within the industry. "

"Application Requirements
Two letters of recommendation from industry professionals."

how do you get recommendation letters if you don't have access to the industry?

I know! That floored me, too.

But also, most importantly --

I didn't see a deadline for applications. Did anyone else? What is it?

Saulisa

BruinScribe

Registered
Reaction score
I know! That floored me, too.

But also, most importantly --

I didn't see a deadline for applications. Did anyone else? What is it?

Saulisa

The deadline already passed. The submission window opened on September 3rd and was open for 30 days. It closed at noon on October 3rd.

Saul Rothman

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Bruin!

Well, I feel better knowing that I never could've got it all together by then anyway. Phew!

Btw, I'm a Bruin, too. Got a BA from UCLA in MP/TV Production.

Saulisa

BruinScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Sweet! Go Bruins! I went there for grad school (MFA Screenwriting Program).

So...the Emerging Writers Program seems like a great opportunity. Did anyone else submit?

BruinScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Richard still teaches there...and yes, he and Hal Ackerman jointly headed the MFA Screenwriting Program.

BruinScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Saulisa!

I did enter. I only saw about 7 other writers actually mention tht they entered on other boards. Most people who were commenting about it complained about the letters of recommendation requirement (but frankly--that's silly. If someone can't network enough to find two people to back his or her writing, he or she probably isn't ready for the business anyway). I'm sure they got many other applications than that--but I'm surprised a) that the submission window was open the full 30 days and b) that people are staying so quiet about it online. Seems like such a great opportunity that people would be talking about it more.

Last edited:

Saul Rothman

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I found the letters daunting as well -- although that's not why I didn't enter, and if it's an annual thing, I will try next year. But the promotion that it was for people without connections made it seem strange (to me) that you needed connections to enter, lol!

There are people who really suck at networking but are good writers and are great at relating to others once they're in -- they're just not great at getting in.

However, I still think your point is valid. Networking and connections are a reality of this career path and it's tough enough without trying to get somewhere while ignoring the realities. So, this is my Face Realities and Learn Year, and I hope to enter next year.

As for you, best of luck. And you gotta admit that the fact that (if things are as they seem) the numbers are small can only be good news for you. So, congrat's about that part, too! :D

I hope you'll keep us posted as things develop.

Saulisa

BruinScribe

Registered
Reaction score
They just announced on the Universal Emerging Writer Fellowship Facebook page that they're pushing back notifications of Semifinalists until after the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. So...another week of suspense at least.

Good luck to all who entered!