• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I may have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadou

Registered
Reaction score
I have the first chapter and and excerpt from the second chapter of my book on my blog. Some have said this will be a roadblock towards having my work published. Is this true? If so, should I just take my blog down?

writerjohnb

Scribbler at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnbushore.com
No, publishing excerpts will not make your work published. You'd have to post nearly all of it. Once you've put all of it together and display it in any manner, it is copyrighted and you can no longer offer North American First Publishing Rights to publishers.

JohnB

hadou

Registered
Reaction score
So should I bring my blog down?

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
No. A chapter or two is fine.

I don't think this is accurate. If you put up whole chapters at your blog it can be considered published.

So should I bring my blog down?

Of course not, but if I'd take down that full chapter one you've put up. Teasers (excerpts) are good, though. :)

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I don't think this is accurate. If you put up whole chapters at your blog it can be considered published.

I seriously doubt that a publisher would consider the first rights of a novel-length work burned up because one chapter was posted online. It's not the same as, say, posting an entire short story.

That being said, it honestly doesn't matter either way, because deleting a blog post doesn't "unpublish" it. If it's been published, it's been published. What's done is done. I'm trying to sell a story right now that's been published on my site, and I'm selling it as a reprint despite the fact that it's no longer up.

ETA: Yeah, what Stacia said. :p

Last edited:

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I have the first chapter and and excerpt from the second chapter of my book on my blog. Some have said this will be a roadblock towards having my work published. Is this true? If so, should I just take my blog down?

If anything, it will help demonstrate that you'll be active in promoting sales of your book, when published. But don't post any more.

But it's really up to the policy (or arbitrary judgment) of every publisher. There's no universal rule about this.

hadou

Registered
Reaction score
I am having a heart attack with each post; some say is good, others say is okay (with a hint of uncertainty), while others say I'm screwed.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're not screwed for publication simply because you put a Chapter or two up on your blog. No hesitancy- no ifs or buts.

Just make sure you don't screw yourself by rushing to post an opening Chapter that is not as polished or edited as it should be.

I am having a heart attack with each post; some say is good, others say is okay (with a hint of uncertainty), while others say I'm screwed.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you mean, but that may well have been advance publicity for a novel in course of being published.

I think this is accurate because I've heard people who published Novel Exceprts in literary mags and still had their entire novel published.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
What's most important is that you tell your agent and/or publisher that the chapters are/were posted online. The consequences of lying and being caught out (and omissions can count as lying) are far worse than those for posting a few chapters.

J.W. Alden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
What's most important is that you tell your agent and/or publisher that the chapters are/were posted online. The consequences of lying and being caught out (and omissions can count as lying) are far worse than those for posting a few chapters.

Agreed, and I'll go the extra step of saying that you should do this whether you delete the posts or not. Nothing is ever really "gone" from the internet.

But again, you should be fine. It's nothing to have a heart attack over. Really.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
That being said, it honestly doesn't matter either way, because deleting a blog post doesn't "unpublish" it. If it's been published, it's been published. What's done is done. I'm trying to sell a story right now that's been published on my site, and I'm selling it as a reprint despite the fact that it's no longer up.

ETA: Yeah, what Stacia said. :p

You are right, you can't un-publish something once it's been published. :D

Kevin Nelson

Aspiring to authorship since 1975
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, hadou...I was under the apparently incorrect impression that you had been posting entire short stories on your blog. If that's not the case, then you don't have as much of an issue.

J.W. Alden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Actually, I have been wondering something similar. If I publish poems or a short children's story in the SYW thread on this site for feedback, wouldn't that mean it's published and I wouldn't be able to sell it?

No, because the SYW forums are behind a password. They aren't searchable or viewable by non-members.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If you publish an excerpt, or even an entire novel, in a password protected forum, it's not considered previously published, because it was not made available to the general public.

This is why the share your work forums are password protected.

I believe you can publish short segments of your novel in a public blog, but there's a limit there. Not sure what is.

Wardeth

I want to make my brother shave
Registered
Reaction score
Amazing thread, I think a mod should summarize what this forum means as far as publishing / not publishing. I had never even considered what SYW could mean if i wrote something i later wanted to sell. Thank you everyone!

writerjohnb

Scribbler at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnbushore.com
The reason you're unsure (which is true of any sort of seeking advice on a forum) is the people who only THINK they know the answer but can't stop from giving their invaluable opinion anyway. Notice how many forum posts begin with "I don't know anything about that, but. . ."

If you start a thread answer with "I think," you are probably wrong. If you begin a with "I don't think," you are correct. If you know the answer, give it, but don't screw up the original question if you're not sure; research it first. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

The politically incorrect JohnB who answered the question in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.