The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
That's me, spreading Christmas cheer everywhere I go!
icon12.gif

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Thanks, Tri.

Now I have to go back through my list to find who has already rejected it, and who's open to submissions right now. I mean, the first version won an HM in the Writers of the Future contest, and I've tightened it since then. I don't think it's crap. It just hasn't hit the right market yet.

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewfinnieportfolio.blogspot.com
Yes, it always suggests that there is another human being on the other end when it's slightly personalized ...
Nice to know we aren't alone in some-one else's universe :)

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Registered
Reaction score
No rejections today--yet. Only deafening silence. Except that it's Friday. And Friday afternoons are when they clear out a few queries before heading to the Hamptons (or wherever) for the weekend, so there's time yet for more dings!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
My real life always gets in the way of me querying. My husband has been transferred to a different town, and I'm moving into my dream house on the 15th of January. I guess you all will have to query without me until the end of January :(

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Got an agent rejection after 58 days waiting. Kind of a bummer on an otherwise nice day.

I really need to query more. :-/

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, happy to get a query reject that actualizes mentions a character of the novel sounding great. Not getting a form reject: that's a reject holiday gift that brought me a smile.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to all of you, and good luck to you with the move, Carleree! Just checking in with you folks to wish y'all a Merry Christmas!

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Form rejection yesterday. Whoo hoo!

Also a tentative acceptance, though the editor seems busy... so hasn't responded yet.

Then there is a story that looks like it passed the first round of rejections... Since the average is around 180 days to acceptance, but 140 days to rejections that's 30 more days! =P Must have passed round 1.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided January 9 is the day I'm going to start querying. But it's been so long since I actually queried anything I can't decide how many to send out in the first batch. Any suggestions?

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Caralee - not to suggest that I'm a master at this (ha, ha), but my approach, starting back in September was to send out an average of 1 query a day. Some days I did 4 or 5. Some days I took a break and did none. I threw a very wide net, ending up querying about 100 agents. Half passed on the query. About 15 percent requested fulls or partials (5 are still out there being considered). The rest haven't responded yet, or passed via silence.

So, some have called my results encouraging. I don't really know what to call it at this point. But maybe it's a decent approach.

Another interesting, debatable topic is who you should query first. It seems intuitive to cull your dream list of agents and send to them first, since - hey - maybe one of them will love it and you'll be done querying in 24 hours. :D

But someone brought up above that your query/pitch tends to get sharper and more effective with practice. So after a few weeks or a month, you may have honed your best letter but already got turned down by your A list of agents.

This kind of happened with me. At least, I feel my later query letter was stronger. But I can't say there was a huge difference in the number of requests I got from either letter. And, even after two months of research, I was surprised to discover some new agents that really looked like a great fit for my book. Hence,

I don't know that it matters who you send to first.

Status
Not open for further replies.