Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
that's adorable xD sadly, I'm not allowed to dress up at my house. dad's a grumpy old man who thinks after about 13 years old, no dress up for you. I love the man but he can be a little restrictive xD he may be grumpy and the like, but he's Papa. at least he doesn't mind when I dye my hair pink or any other fun color.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Erm... nothing.

(Hey, we don't do Halloween here, and besides, I love me some reppies. :D)

Now, if I were to dress up as something book-related for Halloween, one idea would be Alice. Although, my current hair cut might be more suited to Gaiman's Delirium, from the Sandman series. <3

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seeing as it's Halloween (least here in the US)

What are you going to dress up as? And before you answer "Nothing," I present the alternative QOTW: You are invited to a book-themed Halloween party. What are you going to dress up as?

If you still answer "nothing," I will stuff your reps with sheep.

My answer actually works for both: my 10 yo girl and I are going as the mad doctor and her monster.

Bringing it to the next page.

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Erm... nothing.

(Hey, we don't do Halloween here, and besides, I love me some reppies. :D)

Now, if I were to dress up as something book-related for Halloween, one idea would be Alice. Although, my current hair cut might be more suited to Gaiman's Delirium, from the Sandman series. <3

I see what you're doing here.

Don't think I don't.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score

KaseetaKen

Author
Registered
Reaction score
What are you going to dress up as? And before you answer "Nothing," I present the alternative QOTW: You are invited to a book-themed Halloween party? What are you going to dress up as?

A Book-themed party Halloween party... hmmm... I suppose I would dress as a Starship Trooper ala Robert Heinlein. It was the first Science Fiction book I ever read after my teacher begged me to read something new and it was love at first read. I've been reading science fiction ever since.

Last edited:

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Seeing as it's Halloween (least here in the US)

What are you going to dress up as? And before you answer "Nothing," I present the alternative QOTW: You are invited to a book-themed Halloween party? What are you going to dress up as?

If you still answer "nothing," I will stuff your reps with sheep.

Um...yeah. So I'm going as something (since nothing shall incur wooly wrath). I usually make a really good scarecrow.

Now, if it's a book party I'm going to, then as long as Comic Books count, I'd go as Hobbes. With a card board box as my transportation that I might have stolen from Calvin, since he was grounded.

Oh, and SaraP? You don't want THOSE sheep in your reppies. You know the ones.
3_zps2d78fcec.gif
Yeah. That kind of sheep that makes your eye do that.

*shudders*
*eyes Boston*
*adds in whisper...but I was really tempted to answer "nothing," too*

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, as long as it's not the dementedtwitchyLampchop, I'm good with sheep reppies. :D

Also, saw a pretty cool Hobbes costume online, yesterday. Awesome choice. :)

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog

We don't do Halloween here either, but if invited to a book-themed party I think I'll go as Arthur Dent - bathrobe, towel and a cup of tea to complete the ensemble (as I don't have the leather duster or height to pull off Harry Dresden) :D

keiju

Registered
Reaction score

Halloween is over, but if I had had a party to go to, I would have dressed up as Tim Burton's Corpse Bride or a medieval-style witch.

To a book-themed Halloween party, I would go as a Tolkien elf :)

Rags99

Grendizer go!
Registered
Reaction score
My son is 4, he was super mario, I was bowser and my wife was princess toadstool. I wanted to be Luigi, but my son insisted i was more of a bowser....punk kid!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once more unto the breach! A new QOTW!!

The holidays are upon us. How can I tell? Because Walmart was putting decorations up. (Hey, at least they waited until after Halloween, this year.) In honor (dread?) of that, I think we ought to nominate another holiday for which the stores should go all out. Which, obviously, is the new QotW.

Which holiday do you think should be given the full-on Christmas-like retail blitz?

I nominate Arbor Day. We need more tree awareness.

Plus, Ent costumes.

:D

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
Which holiday do you think should be given the full-on Christmas-like retail blitz?

In my openly cynical view of our dystopian future, "black friday" will refer to the 3-4 months before Christmas, and any other holidays will be considered celebratory rest stops between them, and our plucky heroes will be launched into an adventure with the discovery that the shopping is a capitalist front for population control. Of course, adding another one would be the perfect "bad guys close in" story beat; this adds a logistic problem which dictates that the new shopping holiday should fall as neatly between each Christmas as possible in order to accommodate earlier and earlier sales dates. The ultimate resolution to all of this is, of course, when the entire year is considered black Friday and what we wind up with is somewhat similar to what we have now, except with lower prices. Our birth certificates will double as a Costco membership.

I can't bring myself to use Memorial Day (US) and nominating Father's Day would seem too self-interested. So, I'll back it up a month and nominate No Pants Day.

Last edited:

Mamitt

Registered
Reaction score
Labour Day (where I come from it's a day-off-work-day for most people). All the capitalist shop owners should stand behind their counters this day (the ones owning several stores would have to ask their capitalist family and friends for help) and the profit earned this day should go to the people working in their factories - that is, the ones making the actual products.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my openly cynical view of our dystopian future, "black friday" will refer to the 3-4 months before Christmas, and any other holidays will be considered celebratory rest stops between them,

Wow, that's frightening.

I'm going to go hide under my bed now.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
The holidays are upon us. How can I tell? Because Walmart was putting decorations up. (Hey, at least they waited until after Halloween, this year.) In honor (dread?) of that, I think we ought to nominate another holiday for which the stores should go all out. Which, obviously, is the new QotW.

I nominate Arbor Day. We need more tree awareness.

Plus, Ent costumes.

:D
I think my birthday should be given this treatment. ;)

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com

A sadistic part of me wants to say Lent, just to see what the marketers would come up with for messaging, thereby ruining the point and reinforcing materialistic ideals instead.

But I digress.

If I were trying to be funny, I'd say Ninja Day (yes, it's real). Because then when I karate kick an iron bedframe and break my toe, I can blame it on Ninja Day antics, right? Right. :e2fight:

If I were being sweet and serious, I'd say Grandparents Day (also real). Because your grandparents should be celebrated and cherished. Though, turning that into an x-mas like retail blitz holiday, again, might ruin the whole point of that holiday - which in my mind is to spend time with those you love in the twilight of their years, and remember them always when they are no longer with you in person. I do that all the time when I'm writing - my grandfather is one of my biggest inspirations. Though he's no longer here in person to spur me on, I know he's watching somewhere, cheering me on when I'm on a roll and giving me a kick in the pants when I need it.

Mary_MO

Registered
Reaction score
It should really be MY birthday, since it's the day before christmas and I always get screwed on gifts.

Hence the name "Mary", now with that knowledge my middle name would make so much more sense as well. I was raised in a catholic family along with the culture to always respect and bow down to your elders.
Never question them, never ask why, and when I grew up I was eager to leave. I turned out meek and until this day I still have problems saying the word NO. But I'm working on it.:)