Use previously published short story as first chapter?

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
I have a short story I plan to use as the first chapter of a novel. If I publish the short story as a stand-alone, can I still use it as the first chapter of a novel? And can I also use the title of the short story as the title of the novel. Would it be reasonable to query this point when submitting the short story to a publisher, and if the story is accepted, to make it a condition of publication?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I have a short story I plan to use as the first chapter of a novel. If I publish the short story as a stand-alone, can I still use it as the first chapter of a novel?

That depends on the rights you surrender when you publish the short story. Some publications will hang on to all rights, so you can't use it elsewhere. Others, not so much.

There's no protocol which forbids you using a short story you wrote as part of your novel. It's been done before, many times.

And can I also use the title of the short story as the title of the novel. Would it be reasonable to query this point when submitting the short story to a publisher, and if the story is accepted, to make it a condition of publication?

You can use the same title for both but I wouldn't advise it. Readers might assume they're the same works, which would not be in your favour. As for insisting that a publisher use your title: you could, but if you try to make it a condition of publication you're likely to find your work rejected. Writers who make demands like this tend to be difficult in all sorts of ways.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Exactly why do you want to publish the short story separately? And then the novel with the same name using this story as chapter 1? This sounds like a recipe for confusing the readers. I also can't imagine many publishers saying "fine, go ahead" to the idea that you will be using the entire text of a story that they are trying to make money off in a different work - which you could sell to a different publisher!

Certainly writers have in the past taken a short story and expanded it into a novel - like Ender's Game and Flowers for Algernon. But that tends to happen after the fact, when the writer decides they have more to say about that idea. It's not usually planned ahead, since in that case, why not just write the novel in the first place?

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
I agree.

Originally, the story was only a short story. I wanted to to sell it to help me promote myself to agents for when I submit my (other) novel (i.e. to say I'm published).

However, on looking at the short story now, I see I could make it into a novel. Attempting to sell it as a short-story, and then developing it and selling it as a novel would be fraught with difficulties. As such, I won't attempt to sell it as a short story.

Thanks for your comments.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're overthinking this.

You don't need previous publications to get an agent's attention: just a good enough book.

And you don't "promote" yourself to agents, you query them or submit your work to them. That's all. If they like what you send them, they will ask for more. If they don't, they won't.

Good luck!

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
When I said "promote" myself to agents, I meant that being able to say I have previously published in the cover letter would increase my chances that they would read the manuscript rather than dismiss it without consideration. But I get your point completely.

Last edited: