The 2014-2015 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed, this is the only know SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up in captivity!
Wut, captivity? Not in its natural habitat? That won't do, it's a rare species. You put that SS-SFF-SS sign-up right back where you've found it, young man. Unless of course you have the certificates and it's part of a captive breeding programme, in which case go carry on. Clearly I have been watching too many Attenborough nature documentaries lately...

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well hey there, friend. Couldn't help but notice you looking at this here SS-SFF-SS Sign Up thread. You have great taste. This baby gets excellent word economy, it has the highest rating with the International Crash-Plot program, AND it's flashy enough to impress the folks at the office. In fact, you can walk out of here today in this bad boy with just a few quick signatures. How's that sound?

Now hold up, don't leave just yet!

Listen, obviously the sticker price isn't the best I can offer you. Tell you what, how about I throw in a few writing prompts on top of this already amazing deal? You can't beat that can you?

You can?

Okay, how about I also toss in a gift from another writer? That's right: A sign-up, a prompt, and a story from a gifter, all included. Heck, I'll even toss in undercoating for free.

What's that? You need to think about it? Well...okay, but these sign-ups are going fast. In fact, you only have 3 DAYS before this deal ends. I can't promise this one will be one the showroom floor when you come back.

Tell you what, here's my card. You change your mind, you call me, okay? We can even work out some financing options for you.

But don't forget, 3 DAYS.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm completely blanking regarding a new prompt, but as time is short, I've reused the ones I did for the last two Solstice Swaps. No doubt I'll have different gifters to then, so different stories!

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Some of Zanz's flash fiction countdown prompts sparked a flare of a story. I'm hanging onto it to see if it might be relevant. Otherwise, I'll panic-ky brainstorm for a couple of days until something forms a little cohesive ball in my brain.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!

That's right, this Sunday the worlds of fantastic story-telling and amazing word-jockeying meet in the arena to see who dominates. Come out to the SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome race track and watch monster words try to crush the competition. Bring the whole family and enjoy an event where beasts like Plot and Pacing go head-to-head in a thrilling match of power and stamina. With bone-crushing chills and monster truck thrills, this event promises to smash your expectations like Big Foot.

But these mega word-machines won't be around for long. ONLY 2 DAYS REMAIN until this event closes for good! So don't be the only one who misses out!

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!

That's right, this Sunday the worlds of fantastic story-telling and amazing word-jockeying meet in the arena to see who dominates. Come out to the SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome race track and watch monster words try to crush the competition. Bring the whole family and enjoy an event where beasts like Plot and Pacing go head-to-head in a thrilling match of power and stamina. With bone-crushing chills and monster truck thrills, this event promises to smash your expectations like Big Foot.

But these mega word-machines won't be around for long. ONLY 2 DAYS REMAIN until this event closes for good! So don't be the only one who misses out!

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!

:popcorn:

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you tired of sitting at home, struggling to come up with a plot?

Do you fret that you just don't have enough ocelots in your story, despite days, or even months, of brainstorming?

Do you find yourself forced to participate in boring "quality time" with loved ones over the holidays when you'd rather be sitting in a room by yourself, sipping tea, and ripping a Main Character's world to shreds?

Well stop worrying and start rejoicing because those problems are now SOLVED thanks to CM Enterprises Inc, Ltd, LLC's latest miracle product:

The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome!

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, the same people who brought you such award-winning devices as Trope-B-Gone, Spel-Chucker, and The Robo-Editor, have once again taken care of your story-making needs with The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome!.

Other products force you do develop a story prompt all on your own, but who has the time? The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome, with its patented Giftee Prompt 2000 software, does it FOR YOU.

Here's how it works: you simply enter your name and story prompt into The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome's main interface device and the Giftee Prompt 2000 automatically links you up with a prompt SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR YOUR TALENTS!

No more hours spent sobbing uncontrollably under your desk trying to brainstorm. No more wasting days of vacation days staring at a blank page, wondering why you didn't take up bowling like your mother wanted. No more pretending you're enjoying awkward dinner conversation with your in-laws. With The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome, those concerns are magically washed away in the blink of an eye.

What do you think you'd have to pay for such an amazing product?

$49.99?

$29.99?

$9.99?

What if I told you it was free?

You heard correct, folks: FREE! If you sign up in the NEXT 48 HOURS, you get it at absolutely no cost!

But wait, there's more!

By signing up in the NEXT 48 HOURS, we'll not only send you a giftee prompt, but you'll also get a story written just for you! That's right, by signing up you get the The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome with the Giftee Prompt 2000 software, a story prompt designed for your writing talents, AND an actually story written for you based on your own prompt desires! That's a $99.99 value for absolutely nothing!

But this deal won't last forever. You must call, text, or send carrier pigeon to The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome Thread within the NEXT 48 HOURS to receive this amazing deal. And once it's gone, it's gone*!

So don't waste another minute trying to satisfy the needs of your family, satisfy the needs of complete strangers instead with The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome!

Operators are standing by, so order today!

The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome and its parent company, CM Enterprises Inc, Ltd, LLC, are not responsible for lost or stolen goods from unlocked cars. Removing this tag voids the warranty. Please call your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms: rash, heavy breathing, nausea, constipation, dry mouth, wet mouth, rapid hair loss, or spontaneous combustion.

*until next year, of course.

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Are you tired of sitting at home, struggling to come up with a plot?

Do you fret that you just don't have enough ocelots in your story, despite days, or even months, of brainstorming?

Do you find yourself forced to participate in boring "quality time" with loved ones over the holidays when you'd rather be sitting in a room by yourself, sipping tea, and ripping a Main Character's world to shreds?

Well stop worrying and start rejoicing because those problems are now SOLVED thanks to CM Enterprises Inc, Ltd, LLC's latest miracle product:

The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome!

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, the same people who brought you such award-winning devices as Trope-B-Gone, Spel-Chucker, and The Robo-Editor, have once again taken care of your story-making needs with The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome!.

Other products force you do develop a story prompt all on your own, but who has the time? The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome, with its patented Giftee Prompt 2000 software, does it FOR YOU.

Here's how it works: you simply enter your name and story prompt into The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome's main interface device and the Giftee Prompt 2000 automatically links you up with a prompt SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR YOUR TALENTS!

No more hours spent sobbing uncontrollably under your desk trying to brainstorm. No more wasting days of vacation days staring at a blank page, wondering why you didn't take up bowling like your mother wanted. No more pretending you're enjoying awkward dinner conversation with your in-laws. With The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome, those concerns are magically washed away in the blink of an eye.

What do you think you'd have to pay for such an amazing product?

$49.99?

$29.99?

$9.99?

What if I told you it was free?

You heard correct, folks: FREE! If you sign up in the NEXT 48 HOURS, you get it at absolutely no cost!

But wait, there's more!

By signing up in the NEXT 48 HOURS, we'll not only send you a giftee prompt, but you'll also get a story written just for you! That's right, by signing up you get the The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome with the Giftee Prompt 2000 software, a story prompt designed for your writing talents, AND an actually story written for you based on your own prompt desires! That's a $99.99 value for absolutely nothing!

But this deal won't last forever. You must call, text, or send carrier pigeon to The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome Thread within the NEXT 48 HOURS to receive this amazing deal. And once it's gone, it's gone*!

So don't waste another minute trying to satisfy the needs of your family, satisfy the needs of complete strangers instead with The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome!

Operators are standing by, so order today!

The SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up List of AWesome and its parent company, CM Enterprises Inc, Ltd, LLC, are not responsible for lost or stolen goods from unlocked cars. Removing this tag voids the warranty. Please call your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms: rash, heavy breathing, nausea, constipation, dry mouth, wet mouth, rapid hair loss, or spontaneous combustion.

*until next year, of course.

I'd really love to see this on youtube

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
I'll play! I would like to give and receive, please!

Give: I can write urban fantasy, fantasy, steampunk, genre-bending stuff, plotty romance, or soft/space-opera-esque/post-apocalyptic SF. Can't do horror or comedy (though my stories often have humor elements).

Receive: I want people working together in a tight time frame against a deadline! The more peril the better! I like anything from high fantasy to hard SF; I also love genre-bending stuff. (Put gangsters in a fantasy world, or do Die Hard on a space station, and I will be very happy!) I'm not fond of super-grimdark or high levels of gore.

Michele AKA Twig

Lurking In The Corner...
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I know this is kind-of a silly question, but I'm half asleep and mostly brain-dead, mostly. Anyway, did the signup end 11:59pm dec 20th, or does it end 11:59 dec 21st?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Since CM said 48 hours on the 20th, I think you're good through the end of the day on the 21st. But what time zone, hmmm?

(Between you and me and everyone else reading this thread, I doubt he'll turn down anyone who's a little late. Shhh)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning', friends.

This is CM of CM's Used Plot Emporium*, where we offer the widest selection of gently-used prompts, perfect for for your story-makin' needs this Holiday season. Our staff of highly trained story elves is primed and ready to help you in these final hours find that must-have writing gift for a complete stranger. In fact, our selection of Certified Pre-Owned Plots is so expansive, why even Sheriff Johnson's boy, Cletus, got lost for over half a day in our warehouse.

Bless his heart.

Now folks, this time of year can be hard on y'all, what with trying to do all that last-minute shopping. The malls are packed, the streets are a darn parking lot, and people are just down-right rude. But that's where CM's Used Plot Emporium can help. All you have to do is come on into our store, tell us what you're looking for, and we'll fetch it for you. Simple as that.

We'll even smile and wish you a Happy Holidays.

Now don't you worry about us being out of stock this time of year. Why, we ordered a whole mess of products specifically for the Holidays. Heck, we have such a wide range of lightly-used plots, you could shake two sticks at 'em. We have Sci-Fi, we have Fantasy, we have Space Opera, we have Steampunk, we have Paranormal Romance. Heck, we even have a few cartons of Zombie Erotica sitting on our shelves on account of Barbra Jean's husband, Larry, messing up our order last Christmas.

By the way, I told you that boy was dumber than a bag of bricks, Barbra Jean. But would you listen? Oh no. You win one spelling bee in third grade and you think you're Alfred Einstein. Well who's the smarty pants now, prom queen?

ANYway, the best thing about CM's Used Plot Emporium are the deals. Oh sure, you could go out to one of them fancy department stores and get you a shiny, new prompt, but that'd cost you an arm and a leg. Instead of blowing your hard-earned cash on plots still in their original packaging, blow it on our cheaper selection of barely-written plot lines! Why, you'd hardly notice a difference! All our plot ideas are lovingly selected from only the highest quality story prompts, cleaned up nice and pretty, and set on display. No dent-and-scratch on our shelves.

And if that ain't a sweet enough deal for y'all, we're even hosting our Annual Binge-Writer's Sale today. That's right, our infamous Buy None, Get None Free deal is once again in full swing. You come into our store and give us the story prompt you're looking for, and we'll hook you up with something to write as well. At no additional charge.

Now folks, as you know, CmF's family is around for the Holidays, which means we have to close the shop tonight. Unlike previous years when we'd just work right on through the Holidays, CM's Used Plot Emporium can only offer these amazing story deals for this, the FINAL DAY of our sale. Which means when we shut our doors tonight, if you ain't bought it, you ain't gettin' it.

So why not swing on down to our shop today?

CM's Used Plot Emporium: Where If We Ain't Got It, You're Too Picky.

And tell 'em CM sent ya'.

*a division of CM Enterprises Inc, Ltd, LLC

Last edited:

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I know this is kind-of a silly question, but I'm half asleep and mostly brain-dead, mostly. Anyway, did the signup end 11:59pm dec 20th, or does it end 11:59 dec 21st?

Since CM said 48 hours on the 20th, I think you're good through the end of the day on the 21st. But what time zone, hmmm?

(Between you and me and everyone else reading this thread, I doubt he'll turn down anyone who's a little late. Shhh)

What Sage said.

That said, I'm on Central Time at the moment.

All THAT being said, here's how it'll go down: I'll wake up sometime tomorrow morning and fix myself a huge mug of coffee. About half-way through it, I'll close the sign-ups. That means we're looking at about 24 more hours, give or take however long the pot takes to perk.

So, if you know anyone thinking of participating this year, let 'em know we're in the home stretch and to get their prompts in!

And feel free to hit me up with questions if you have any.

T-MINUS ONE DAY, gang!

Michele AKA Twig

Lurking In The Corner...
Registered
Reaction score
Gummy Drops! I want in. I'm willing to give and receive.

Receive: Pretty much anything goes except romance (there can be elements of it though) and sexysmexy stuff. I prefer 3rd person POV over 1st.

Give: I'm willing to give any genre a try but can't guarantee I'll do romance/sexysmexy stuff justice.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Sneaking in at the last minute! I've been going back and forth on whether I should participate or not, but now with school out and no homework to do, I have no reason not to. I'm signing up for both giving and receiving.

I would like: something involving a plague. Free reign over genre, as long as it's not erotica. Bonus points if it incorporates cold/winter/snow somehow.

Will write: Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, other in-between genres of speculative. I'm willing to try my hand at mystery. Anything dark, really. I don't mind writing gore if someone likes their story messy, but I don't go over-the-top unless it's requested. I can't do romantic or sexy-times, or MG.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, gang, the Sign-Up List of AWesome is now officially closed! All 32 players and our two Official Betas are locked and loaded. I'll send e-mail reminders to the folks that still owe info, so if you don't hear from me by the time you go to bed this evening, you're primed and ready.

That said, the wait period before send-outs begins now!

Who will be paired together? What prompt will you wind up with? Will your prompt inspire someone?

All these questions and more will be answered the morning of the 25th!

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Yay, so many people this time! And the big hush before the big rush behind. Contestants are I the edges of their seats with anticipation waiting for the assignments to come in.

This is gonna be awesome.

Is it Christmas yet? I want my prompt!

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
All these questions and more will be answered the morning of the 25th!

Dramatization of me, Christmas morning: "I'll be down to open presents in a few minutes, family! I have to refresh my email until I know who I'm writing for!"

"Look, TA, it's exactly what you wanted!"

"Uh huh. Awesome. Thanks. *refresh... refresh... refresh...* WHERE IS IT, COBRA?!"