Reaction score
Reading multiple books at the moment:

Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera
H.G. Wells's War of the Worlds and Time Machine
Sir Author Conan Doyle's The Lost World

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Big Machine by Victor Lavalle. I'm reading This Side of Brightness by Colum McCann and occassionally a story in a John Cheever collection.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Tish Cohen---Town House. I THINK she was trying to be funny with this work...it tries too hard. I'm noticing passages that suggest the author was striving for humour...but it never quite makes it. I'm seeing it through to the end, though. I just don't know why???

I have THE PASSAGE waiting in the wings.

hitchhiker

Human Torpedo
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Michael Connelly's Echo Park, picked Greg Iles' The Devil's Punchbowl back up after a short pause. I've got to decide which of the five on my TBR list are next.

TBR as in staring at me on the shelf in my bedroom. My actual list is pretty long and distinguished, just like my j-----n. (sorry for the Top Gun reference)

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading:

The Hiding Place (Corrie Ten Boom) - highly recommended.

The House (Danielle Steel) - Not recommended. I bailed halfway through the book.

Tears of the Desert (Halima Bashir) - All I can say is wow.

Now reading:

The Girls of Room 28. (Hannelore Brenner).

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i'm reading mainly nonfiction this summer. the best is called "harvard and the unabomber"-fascinating because i started out life in the fifties. "gallipoli" for the second time. "science: a 4,000 year history" is hard to get into but i think i'll like it in a chapter or two. there is also a book on outdoor ponds and waterfalls in my stack--mainly because i bought a bunch of second hand pond supplies on impulse and now they are stacked in my backyard while i try to figure out how to untangle them and start a pond.

my only fiction is "anne of green gables" i started reading a digested version to my g-daughter. she went home and i checked out the original because i'd forgotten how much i enjoyed it---s6

Last edited:

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Ice Station by Matthew Reilly

It started off great, the opening part of the book with the battle with the French soldier came off as believeable and pretty exciting.

Once that was over it quickly turned into a farce, with ridiculous scenes, stupid coincidences (Like the titular Ice Station been built unknowingly over the EXACT spot in Antartica that a former research station was) and the main character single-handedly overcoming a 50 man squad of SAS without breaking a sweat...

Ridiculous :)

Can't wait to finish it, it's a shame because the opening 100 pages or so had me hooked and there are some very nice ideas in the book but alas, it turned into a farce.

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Put down: The Girls of Room 28 by Hannelore Brenner. It's an excellent book, but so incredibly sad, I just couldn't take any more, a true story about a group of women who lived through the Holocaust.

Just started reading: Escape by Carolyn Jessup, another a true story, about a woman who escapes from her abusive husband and a polygamous marriage.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Julie: Do NOT read Childhood by Jona Oberski, then. I read it once, nearly 20 years ago, and it was so harrowing I can still quote a few passages. I will never open that book again.

Sarah Enni

If you squint, I sparkle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahenni.com
Reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Stieg Larsson) at home, and It's Not Summer Without You (Jenny Han) during the commute. Hardbacks don't travel in the purse well.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading over countless weekly reports, and filling in some blanks. It's been weeks since I've read anything but work-related material. Recommendations for someone who's life is in shambles? :D

Lyx

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Lyx, there's a wealth of AWer new releases for your reading pleasure:

A Devil in the Details by KA Stewart
Red Hot Fury by Kasey MacKenzie
Rock Paper Tiger by Lisa Brackmann

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading over countless weekly reports, and filling in some blanks. It's been weeks since I've read anything but work-related material. Recommendations for someone who's life is in shambles? :D

Lyx
Tweak by Nic Sheff will redefine the word shambles for you.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Just tore through the second half of UNHOLY GHOSTS by our own Stacia Kane. What a kickass book. I want to give the heroine the hug she desperately needs. :LilLove: