• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jan Dennis Literary Services (formerly Jan P. Dennis Lit. Agency)

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I found I found this thread. I sent Mr. Dennis a quick email last night after reading his interview on Where The Map Ends (Liparulo is one of my favorite authors), and this morning there was a request for the full manuscript in my inbox. No partial; just a full. Neat! :)

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
David, may you get The Call!

(He's a no-reply to my Q. Oh, well.)

Ah, sorry, Lily. :( How long ago did you send it? (Was it the Redeemers?)

He said in his email he'd get back to me in a few weeks, but given the other posts on this thread, I'm not going to bet the farm on it. But hey, he's already surprised me once, so anything is possible.

doctri

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing if it is his standard procedure to just ignore partials he's not interested in. If so, no biggie - I'll just move on. I am just surprised that he responded so lightning fast to my query, but once he has the partial...nothing. I suppose that perhaps he hasn't had a chance to read it yet, but I would assume he could let me know if that was the case.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
It's like getting through the first round on American Idol. I'm sleep-deprived. I mean this guy has repped or published (he went from publishing to agenting) the powerhouses of Christian fantasy. And I only HEARD of him two days ago. Talk about keeping a low profile!

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
Got a full request the day after sending the query. He warned me it would be a month before he'd get to it.

Same here.

I'm hoping for the best. He specializes in Christian-themed fiction. My book really isn't, but it's a heavily family-oriented YA. Maybe that will balance out some of the Lovecraftian stuff... :)

doctri

Registered
Reaction score
It seems odd that he asks for full or partials from so many people. Has anyone actually gotten a flat out rejection based on their query?

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
It seems odd that he asks for full or partials from so many people. Has anyone actually gotten a flat out rejection based on their query?

It is a bit unusual, but since he asked for a Word file attached to an e-mail, it was easy enough to do!

doctri

Registered
Reaction score
I've gone through and read all the threads I could find, and it seems as though this is pretty much his standard policy. If he doesn't like something you just won't hear back and you will get no response to emails. Oh well.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
OK, I said yes to Jan Dennis's offer of representation today. It took me a while, partly because of this thread. It is true that he is not known as the promptest of communicators and we had quite a discussion about this (on the phone). He acknowledges that it's not his strong suit and he's willing to work on it. When I feel a little more secure in the relationship, I'll try to encourage him to at least send a "no thanks" for requested materials. Judging from my personal experience, if he is interested, he'll get back to you quickly.

To clear up a few things, he was not the agent for either Frank Peretti or Stephen Lawhead, but the editor/publisher. He gave them their first break. He also repped Ted Dekker's first twelve books, but is no longer his agent. I didn't ask why.

His first love is Christian speculative fiction, but he has repped authors in other genres, both Christian and general.

Hope this helps a bit.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Hope it turns out to be a good partnership for you, that your book sells quickly and we hear more from you! Whooo hoooo!!!

doctri

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Judg! I am very happy for you. God bless.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Well, it turns out that silence is an ongoing pattern, even with clients. Very charming gentleman on the phone, very encouraging, and then he goes AWOL. He has a hard time holding on to clients and I have given up on him. Way too hard on the nerves.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it turns out that silence is an ongoing pattern, even with clients. Very charming gentleman on the phone, very encouraging, and then he goes AWOL. He has a hard time holding on to clients and I have given up on him. Way too hard on the nerves.

Ekkkk...so you're back to looking for an agent again?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear that.

Mind, you were doing very well, query-wise, before he took you on, that I have no doubt that you will find another agent.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Yes ma'am. I felt pretty sick about it, but the stress was driving me nuts.

I really am very sorry! I know this may sound trite, but I don't mean it to be...I believe things like this happen for a reason, I truly do. Someone better and more reliable is going to come along and you'll be happy about it in the end. Keep your chin up and just jump back into the water....it'll end up ok, you'll see.