The Old Farts Bar, Grill and Infirmary

Status
Not open for further replies.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
all things considered i might smell like an old person but i will still smell better than my grandparents who grew up with saturday baths and a dab of vanilla extract behind the ears.

Well, unless the people who conducted the study sniffed a very large number of a very wide selection of the elderly population and took into account such things as dietary habits as well as ablutions I would hesitate to accept their findings. (And there's such a subjective aspect to smell, isn't there?)

So, shakeysix, the odds are that you smell just fine. :D

I'm pretty sure we all do. Even JoeBear, who smells like baby powder.

Except for cray, who smells like Eau de Shmo. :roll:

robertsloan2

Felinocentric Monster of Word Count
Registered
Reaction score
Website
robs-writing.blogspot.com
Funny this topic should come up. I smell better now than I did when I was young. I'm disabled. I didn't realize this till I was in my forties because I believed all the doctors who told me it was psychological and toughed it out, thereby ruining my bad leg and my back far worse than if I'd gotten Social Security on getting out of high school.

When I didn't have a job I only showered or bathed if I was going out. Grunge could last up to a month sometimes, along with not cleaning my room. My only strategy for putting off the point of no return when cleaning up was more than I could do on my own was to reduce clutter and avoid putting trash anywhere but a bag. Result was that I moved less often the better I got at organizing, because cleaning house came after "Work" and "Eating Food" as a priority.

I could never understand why people thought of having a bath or shower as relaxing and feel better afterward. I never did. I was usually in a lot of pain and so exhausted I didn't want to do anything. This got gradually worse until the mid 90s when I hit a point of having to couch surf while applying for Social Security.

I've got home care now three days a week. Those ladies pamper me. It was a shock the first time I took a bath without having to bend over to run and test the water - that was how I was wrecking my back. So now I'm bathing three days a week when they come over and I only smell like Ivory soap and cat pheromones.

Of course I always pet my cat again to get new cat hairs and paw-gland and cheek-gland pheromones on me. Other cats and any dogs need to know I belong to a 12 year old colorpoint longhair who eats high protein super quality beyond premium cat food and lives a happy, energetic life.

I love his scent. It was very strong when he was a baby kitten - the New Kitten Smell startled me because he was only six weeks old. Because I indulged sniffing him and paying attention to it at that age, occasionally now I will be snuggling him, rub my face on his face or something and catch a slight faint whiff of it. This is not the unpleasant odor of the litter box. It's a pleasant, very faint slightly musky odor like an unfamiliar perfume that's barely on the edge of detection. It's the face and paw glands scent, which cat lovers might be aware of.

I love him so naturally that faint scent fills me with delight. It's there in humans too -when you're happily married your spouse's laundry doesn't smell as bad as other people's, your own kids don't smell bad compared to others. I'm loved by a cat and I suppose a perfumer would notice it.

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, shakeysix, the odds are that you smell just fine. :D

I'm pretty sure we all do. Even JoeBear, who smells like baby powder.

Except for cray, who smells like Eau de Shmo. :roll:
I'm guessing that I smell like a combination of baby powder, Stage 2 Banana/Plum puree, baby shampoo, and sweet baby kisses. Of course, as of a few minutes ago, there may also be just a hint of a present that she left in her diaper - which makes all the others even more welcome.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
BEWARE i HAVE A CAT ARMY . . .

522841_10150933865116624_408563877_n.jpg

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
come to think of it, i do smell better than i did in my younger days--ahh, the smell of a hundred or so cavorting hippies gathered in a cow pasture. frangipani+ burning herbage + stale denim + lukewarm beer+ canoe + english leather= love, peace and puking. those were the days!--s6

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cats. Ick.

You see now, right there ^ is one of those inflammatory statements that are designed to get all the cat people het up and mad and firing back with everything they've got. SRHowen fell for it. But I'm not going to take the bait 'cos I figure I know where it comes from so....

oh, yes... because

Chihaueys. Cute.

:D

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
all things considered i might smell like an old person but i will still smell better than my grandparents who grew up with saturday baths and a dab of vanilla extract behind the ears.
Oooooooh. Vanilla extract. A whiff of that and I follow wherever it leads me.

kenthepen

Registered
Reaction score
That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Obviously, the concept works for dogs, too!
Especially little, fourth down(punting situation) dogs!

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oops. Forget that idea. Don't want to get banned like KtheP.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to let you and KtheP go this time, JBear. That is, if you'll take care of that little kitty in SR's last post. :)

andreea

Yeeeesss??
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to let you and KtheP go this time, JBear. That is, if you'll take care of that little kitty in SR's last post. :)
LOL. I would have thought that a tough, big chiuhey like yourself wouldn't have any problems taking care of a harmless little kitten.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. I would have thought that a tough, big chiuhey like yourself wouldn't have any problems taking care of a harmless little kitten.
No problem at all for me. It's just that I thought those two might like a little redemption with a simple problem like that little pussy cat.

Plus, it's snarling at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.