Gardeners of AW, unite

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Raised beds

We had hail yesterday, and thunder and lightning, and wind of course. We had no idea how windy it can get on our acre before we moved here, we're on the side of the ridge and it just sweeps along. I think we could actually have a productive wind generator instead of just solar panels on the house.

Anyway, I made it down to the garden today to check on the baby tomaters and peppers I put in last Sunday. I held my breath, but there they were, still snug within their Wall o'Waters---I think they'd even grown a bit. I've used the Wall o'Waters before, but at our other house. For here, we had to rig a little frame so they wouldn't blow over onto the plants. They seem to be working well.

You can see a pic of our newly-installed raised beds and read an article on raised-bed gardening on the Articles tab at the top of the page. The veggie garden and orchard area is about 1/4 acre, but it is so rocky that we have to tackle it a little at a time. The fruit trees do really well on drip though.

Last edited:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
We had hail yesterday, and thunder and lightning, and wind of course. We had no idea how windy it can get on our acre before we moved here, we're on the side of the ridge and it just sweeps along. I think we could actually have a productive wind generator instead of just solar panels on the house.

Anyway, I made it down to the garden today to check on the baby tomaters and peppers I put in last Sunday. I held my breath, but there they were, still snug within their Wall o'Waters---I think they'd even grown a bit. I've used the Wall o'Waters before, but at our other house. For here, we had to rig a little frame so they wouldn't blow over onto the plants. They seem to be working well.

You can see a pic of our newly-installed raised beds and read an article on raised-bed gardening on the Articles tab at the top of the page. The veggie garden and orchard area is about 1/4 acre, but it is so rocky that we have to tackle it a little at a time. The fruit trees do really well on drip though.
Never thought about using concrete keystones for a raised bed. Very cool!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Your beds are very fancy. I'll probably stick with wood when I get my own for simplicity sake but if I ever do a formal garden that would be absolutely beautiful.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
And I never did get the chance to try raised beds.

Beautiful garden, Angelica.

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Thanks, we really like the way they turned out. We did hire someone to level the terrace where the two beds are, because of the aforementioned rocks.

We've used the cinder blocks before, and planted herbs and strawberries in the wells of them, that worked great too. We opted for the keystones this time because you don't have to mess with the mortar, and they last a long time. And we can always move them around and change the configuration as needed.

One bonus that I hadn't anticipated from the keystone walls is that the lizards love them. We've got them all over now, eating up the buggies, yay! They keep me good company while I'm out there.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's so cool about the lizards :)

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Just found and killed six young (1-2cm) hornworms, two of which had established on jalapeno plants. I hate those things.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
The harvest has begun.

cukes20100529.jpg

I'm concerned about the scarring, but I haven't seen any beetles... yet.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I shall refrain from making a lewd joke.

Well, how about an innuendo: Nice harvest!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously the toy industry doesn't know what's good.

This used to be a respectable thread. *sigh*

:D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have such a dirty mind. I'm just talking about cucumbers.

That would be so much more convincing if you could keep a straight face when saying it :tongue

In other news, my basil is starting to get bitter. Dire. I tried to take a pic with my webcam, but it was just a blurry mess.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Mine did that last year, too, but this year I was careful to add some peat to the soil to lower pH a little and improve drainage. The natural soil here leans alkaline.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will have to remember that for my next batch of basil.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i was cleaning my classroom on thursday and threw my back out. i can only watch helplessly as the bindweed taunts me!!!!! every morning it has taken over another sq. foot. the good news is that i have a spanking new tiller still in the box and an appointment w/ my chiropractor on tuesday. then i'll show the triffids who is boss!---s6

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I have green things! :hooray:

I have two window boxes that are 30x6 that I'm going to plant with herbs and garlic.

And I've now got some houseplants! I haven't had houseplants in years. I hope I can keep these alive! They're all small tropicals that do well in low light so they shouldn't mind my shaded, west facing windows.

The window boxes have a drainage hole in the bottom, but I'm wondering if I should add a layer of crumpled paper or something to help with water movement. Thoughts?

I'll be putting basil, cilantro, chives, garlic, and possibly thyme and arugula in them.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Warning: If you love roses, don't read this post!!

I've decided to dig out my rose bed. It is the only place on my property that has at least eight hours of sun and I think it would be a better place for a veggie garden. I'll wait until the roses are dormant in the fall, then I will dig them out and give them to a friend. Hopefully I'll be able to drop in some winter veggies as soon as those thorny bushes are out. *crosses fingers*

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Warning: If you love roses, don't read this post!!

I've decided to dig out my rose bed. It is the only place on my property that has at least eight hours of sun and I think it would be a better place for a veggie garden. I'll wait until the roses are dormant in the fall, then I will dig them out and give them to a friend. Hopefully I'll be able to drop in some winter veggies as soon as those thorny bushes are out. *crosses fingers*

You do what you gotta do. At least they'll be getting a good home.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Roses vs Veggies? I'd go with the veggies :)

We had a wicked storm last night with driving rain, but luckily I was able to run home during dinner and put the plants under the overhang. They still got a bit wet, but didn't drown. My water cup says we got about 2 inches in a few hours :eek:

Also, I am impatiently waiting to harvest some beet greens. The bok choy is in a better place (my fridge- I needed the soil, heh)