G'Day

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Ideas aren't the problem, as such, but letting go of the last one. I've spent so much time with charachters from early 1800s that I'm not able to focus beyond it to a great degree.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
my problem is plot.

I'm great at the emotions, and with the character motivations, but I really suck at throwing them into unexpected adventures.

Cooee, I know what you mean about getting out of a particular time/mindset.

It was really hard to jump from the victorian setting of my last wip, to the contemporary fantasy novel of my current.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I should write an outline of a plot and let you figure out the emotional arcs, and then we can get someone else to type it all up for us, cos we're superstars and are totally above the nitty gritty. ;)

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
lol all we talk about in here is food, coffee, sleeping and alcohol.

Who's excited about the long weekend?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
lol all we talk about in here is food, coffee, sleeping and alcohol.

Who's excited about the long weekend?

I'm not. Seeing as I don't have a job, a day where there's nothing to do doesn't seem quite so thrilling for me. I mean, I can't even go to the shops that day and get a coffee. :(

No long weekend here. Our Labour Day weekend was May 3. :(

I hope you have a good one, though. :)

May 3rd is my birthday. :)

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
coffee places are still open on holidays...

here they are at least!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Something nice hopefully!

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
May 3rd is my birthday. :)

:partyguy: Many belated happies, Cliff. :D I have a friend who shares that date with you. He has a habit of singing. All. The. Time. He's good (being half Maori helps), but doesn't know when to shut up. (He once coerced Human Nature into a sing-off when they were at Kart Mania for a race meeting...)

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Jo - your friend sounds amusing. I hope he won the sing off

No labour day in Victoria (this weekend, anyway) either, as far as I can tell. Ahh well, we get cup day.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Heading to Sydney with my mum and sister straight after I finish work tomorrow! Can't wait to do some shopping for pretty clothes :D

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
I've been good. I've only shopped online lately!

I'm going to the races on saturday, and the dress I bought turned up in the mail today, along with the petticoat to wear under it. I'm going rockabilly/retro 50's!

Jo

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo, MissMacc! :snoopy: Sounds like heaps of fun. And fred, good luck with the clothes shopping!

Sian, they all sounded awesome, and yeah, he's a real hoot.

Methinks I spent a bit this week, but I'm really, REALLY excited. Today, we, as in the family, should be picking up two second hand cars. A shiny, black on black 2000 BMW 318i for me, and turquoise 2001 Hyundai Excel for the daughters (so the eldest, who has done her 100 hours of Ls in our auto cars, can do some quick stick stuff and get her manual licence). And we, as in hubby and I, are signing contracts on a beachside house on 2 acres.

Argh. I feel poor already. (Nothing a bit of Zibibbo (Brown Bros) can't dull.) :D

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
100 hours :cry: you only have to do 100 hours!
120, right here. Well, 114 atm. Only 6 more to go... then my parents get to shell out money for the license test.
Oh, and yes... I got a bright shiny medicare card. My first ever. :e2woo:

I feel all adulty and independent now. And institutionalised.:e2grouphu The big hug kind

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Argh. I feel poor already. (Nothing a bit of Zibibbo (Brown Bros) can't dull.) :D

Yay. Brown Brothers :D. I'm about ten minutes from that particular winery. Went there for lunch on the weekend. My friends father works there. Very nice people (and the browns brothers still run it, believe it or not).

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
They really like brown brothers in the Keri Arthur books. I keep meaning to try it with that fact in mind - I've had it before but I can't remember what it's like.

But I'm all for Zibobbo, it's pink, isn't it?

Jo

Registered
Reaction score
wow, now THAT is a lot of purchases! Enjoy Jo!
Ta very muchly. We've been house hunting solidly for five years, and had a few negotiations and contracts go belly up (due to vendor problems, like greed, stupidity and more greed--they all sold, or are on the market, lower than our offers now), so hoping this one, through a mortgagee, is a keeper. I'm looking forward to putting down some roots after ten moves in eight years.

100 hours :cry: you only have to do 100 hours!
120, right here. Well, 114 atm. Only 6 more to go... then my parents get to shell out money for the license test.
Oh, and yes... I got a bright shiny medicare card. My first ever. :e2woo:

I feel all adulty and independent now. And institutionalised.:e2grouphu The big hug kind

Yeah, 120 hours sucks. It was hard enough getting through 100. Once she has her independence, I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel and driving again. Well, until next year when the youngest turns 16.

Welcome to the adulty stuff, Sian!

Yay. Brown Brothers :D. I'm about ten minutes from that particular winery. Went there for lunch on the weekend. My friends father works there. Very nice people (and the browns brothers still run it, believe it or not).

They're our favourite (read as ONLY) wines, especially the fruity Lexia and Zibibbo. (And here I am, coming from the SA wine region. Oops. :tongue) The Zibibbo is a sparkling white, MissMacc. Very yummy, and a laugh to pronounce.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the house, Jo!

One of these days I hope to be in the market for a house. My dream house (and land) will cost about $400k to build. Yes, to BUILD. If this house already existed (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't - my specs are unique) it'd cost more like $600k.

I'd be able to afford a $400k mortgage if I worked full time and had a partner who worked full time. On my own, full-time retail work will get me a loan of only about $225k. :(

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
holy cow that's a cheap house to build. Here in Sydney, $400 000 will get you a one bedroom apartment in a nice area.

You can't get much for less than $300 anyway.

If I was to build my own house... I'd want a walk in wardrobe with a ton of space for shoes, and one of those awesome boiling/chilled filtered water taps

What are your specs, C?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify - buying an existing house in Adelaide will run you usually at LEAST $280k-350k, and that's just a 2 bedroom with backyard. Building is always a lot cheaper.

My specs are as follows: 2 storey house. Bottom floor - a study room (medium sized), a spare bedroom (med-lge), a WIDE hallway with WIDE doors everywhere (I'm sick of trying to shift furniture through standard doorways and having a struggle) and built-in bookcases in the hallway on one wall, reaching up to the ceiling with one of those roller-ladders attached to them so I can reach the top. I should be able to fit 3 large bookcases in there. Then there's the lounging area - not exactly a lounge ROOM. It's a section big enough for a U-shape of couches and a coffee table, but no actual walls apart from the study wall on one side. On the other side (ie. behind) there's a kitchen modelled on my current one, but with the opening in a different place because of the couches. Oh, and a kitchen table in between the kitchen and the lounging area, which will hopefully just fit with enough room to push your chair back after a big meal. On the other side of the house from kitchen is a long rectangle of a room for my music room. It must be big enough to hold a drumkit, an organ, a bunch of guitars and a few little bits and bobs, a mini-fridge full of energy drinks and a small table for a laptop so I can do some recording. This music room will have soundproofing in the walls surrounding it, and a glass door (again, WIDE) that is soundproof too. That way I can play music at any hour. The soundproofing in the walls is one of the things that makes me think this house doesn't exist yet, along with the fact that the music room has to be BIG.

And the bottom floor has to have a medium sized bathroom with no bathtub (I never use them, and they're basically just dust traps) but maybe a desk with mirror and chair so anyone so inclined can do their makeup in style. And those diva lights surrounding the mirror! And a smallish laundry (doesn't have to be big, really) next to the bathroom, and a set of stairs leading to the second floor.

Outside the house: outside the laundry door is where I'll have a small shed, a clothes line, and leading in one direction to the carport, and the other direction to an external room that is physically attached to the corner of my music room, with a shared corner so I can get easy electricity into this external room. The external room will block the path on the outside, but there will be doors on two sides to make it easier to get through if need be. In this room there will be a pool table, dart board, and mini-fridge full of beer, and a small cabinet for pool-stuff. Out the other door, and you immediately see the sliding door that leads into the kitchen/hallway/next to the music room's entrance. A big built-in BBQ against the fence opposite the sliding door. A path that leads round the corner of the house, but another external room in the back corner of the property. This room will hold the spa and all accessories.

Round the corner, past the spa room, and we have a bit of garden - no grass, as I don't want pets, but flowers and stuff. Leads right up to the fence door that would lead back on to the driveway, or thereabouts.

Upstairs!

The stairs are roughly in the middle of the house, on the left. As you crest the top of the stairs, you see directly in front of you a medium-sized bar area, with big fridge like the one in the kitchen, only this time with a wine shelf inside for my whites. Behind the bar stools is the lounge room. 2 recliners, a 3-seater, a big TV on a cabinet. On the side wall, a big stereo with my CDs, and then my DVD racks nearby. This is leading towards the front of the house.

The lounge room / bar area has another openly-joined section - a gaming table and display cases for my Warhammer stuff, and then more towards the front left corner of upstairs, a smaller TV with as many game systems hooked up as possible, a DDR mat (if I can find one now that they're all but extinct) and an exercise bike. Here is where I exercise, body and mind.

There's a door in the middle of the front wall. This leads to the extra-special room over the top of the garage where I'll do my artistic things.

Other end of the house upstairs - directly above the music room is a bedroom of the exact same dimensions, only there's a small addition to this bedroom. Let me explain - there's a hallway leading to the bedroom door, and the bathroom is directly opposite, sharing a wall with the bar. At the end of this short hallway is a storage area with shelves and plenty of floor space - it's nice and out of the way, the only reason to walk to that part is if you're using the storage area. Now, the bedroom goes a few feet past the storage area, as does the bathroom. In the bedroom there's a special closet BEHIND the hallway storage area for hanging up clothes, storing shoes, whatever.

And that's the building layout of my house. There are already some red flags as to why this building probably doesn't exist yet. BUT there's more.

I don't like the "normal" colour schemes of houses. I mean, the outside can look however it wants, but inside I want free reign. And here's my current fantasy:

Black painted walls and ceilings. Dark red carpets. Dark blue tiles. Furniture that suits the colours around it.

And that colour scheme is why I assume nobody has ever built this house before. :)

/ramble