Funny dog memoir recommendations.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good, recent dog memoirs with a humorous slant? The last ones I remember reading were Marley and Me and What the Dog Did, and I'm looking for something funny to get lost in for a while. Thanks for any input!

ETA: I'm looking to pick up a paperback, not something available only as an e-title. Only because I do computer work for a living and too much time staring at a screen makes my eyes bleed.

Last edited:

Jinxy

Registered
Reaction score
I really liked "Show Dog" by Josh Dean. I think it was published in 2012 or 2013, so it's pretty recent.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I agree with the recommendation of Show Dog, I enjoyed that one. Treats, Play, Love by Patricia Gail Burnham came out in 2008. Also, Dr. Stanley Coren wrote Born to Bark, which came out in 2011.

Unfortunately, most dog memoirs don't, to my perception, end up humorous :( I was not ultimately fond of Marley and Me.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Thank you both. After checking all three of them out, I think Born to Bark is the one I'm going to start with. Looks like a fun read.

I liked Marley and Me, but yeah, the sad endings are never fun. Of the two I mentioned above, I think What the Dog Did had me nearly peeing my pants throughout most of it.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I love "Dogged Pursuit" by Robert Rodi. It's about agility training and competition...sort of. Both the dog and the master are pretty much fish out of water and many parts make me laugh out loud. Good news: both dog and master are still alive and enjoying life at the end of the book :D. The paperback copy I have is dated 2010.

Last edited:

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Cool, thanks. I ended up ordering two of the ones from above last night, (Born to Bark and Show Dog), so I'll put that one on my wishlist for later. (That's how I keep track of the books I want to order down the road.)

ETA: Ended up ordering it this morning too. It was less than 10.00 and my order hadn't shipped yet anyway.

Thanks again everyone, those three should keep me busy for a bit.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, most dog memoirs don't, to my perception, end up humorous :( I was not ultimately fond of Marley and Me.

I saw the movie. Primus, did I cry.

Jinxy

Registered
Reaction score
I liked Dogged Pursuit a lot, too. Then again, I do agility with my dog, so I might be a little biased.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale
It's about a deaf Great Dane Puppy and is pretty darn adorable.

Thanks so much. It looks cute too. My order's in already...but I always love to stock pile "maybes" for the next round of books. :)