Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
A PA author asks about selling screenplays:

Doesn't the PA contract take movie rights?

Depends. Mine stated 50/50 on movie rights. At their disgression they will hire agent/screenplay writer. But a consent form had to be signed for them to do so by the author, seperate from contract. So if the author gets a hollywood agent or screenplay writer as long as they didn't sign that consent form they should be ok. But heck, with the cost of the book (at least mine .lol) no way am I going to waste the contacts I have in california on this book.

Jill Karg

Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting on my 0.00 sales voucher. Again since I never received the token $1.00 not expecting the 0.00 sales voucher anytime soon.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Another case of zero copies sold

I received an e-mail statement also, saying 0 copies sold. Now I purchased quite a few, 40 to be exact but I know that these don’t count towards royalties. However I know that my family and friends purchased at least 13 copies. I do believe I read somewhere that we don’t receive checks unless the amount is $50.00 or more, which I understand. I just don’t understand why they are saying I sold none????? Any advice… Also a little off topic but, what is this I am seeing that there will be no more hardcovers. My book is only sold in hardcover. I never received this e-mail. What does this mean for us who only have hardcover????? Help!!!!!
icon_confused.gif

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
PAMB said:
I just don’t understand why they are saying I sold none????? Any advice… Also a little off topic but, what is this I am seeing that there will be no more hardcovers. My book is only sold in hardcover. I never received this e-mail. What does this mean for us who only have hardcover????? Help!!!!!

It means you need to go out and Google your "publisher," learn what it meant when you signed their contract, and begin the healing process of realizing you've been duped.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what that does mean for the authors who sold only in hardcover?

And, did they pay for that "privilege."

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
When it comes to movie rights and merchandising, it is standard for the publisher--even legit publishers--to do a 50/50 deal with the writers unless the writer strikes those clauses--and we should!

If a property is optioned--which only means the company or person offering the option has "dibs" on it--writer and publisher split the money. The entity offering the option then either tries to take it to the next step toward production or nothing happens at all.

In my case the option money was a "token" 100.00 and I got fifty bucks out of it. The option expired in a year and a couple years later a new company optioned it. Again, I got 50 bucks. I could have used 100.00. Heck, I still can!

I called my agent--I had one by then, and was told "it's a done deal." I'd signed that contract and like it or not, the publisher gets half of everything unless they release those rights.

The next time one of my properties was optioned for a dollar--and it was by a real working producer--but after a year, nothing.

Options mean nothing; it's like putting something on layaway, only most of the time the customer never picks up the stuff.

Had I been more on the ball, I could have struck out those clauses in the book contract. It's perfectly okay to do so as a result of the negotiating process. You're allowed to have your movie and T-shirt rights!

Years later, my next agent got those rights back for me as a result of negotiations on a new contract, but the rest of it is still the same as the deal I signed in 1988. (Which has NOTHING about e-books, BTW!)

Recently I was offered a contract for something new, instantly noticed the TV/merchandising clauses, and asked my agent to strike those out, along with sales to foreign markets. She can sell those later and we keep all the money.

With this house it was a 30/70 split with me getting the 70%, but still not good enough.

I add for the benefit of PA writers that the chance of ANY PA book ever being optioned, much less made into a film are close to ZERO.

Chances are slightly better for books that are in the stores where people can see and buy them. Hollywood looks at your sales numbers not how wonderful your story is.

Please, look at the "movie deals" on PA's "up in lights" page and check the dates. Some are several YEARS old and none are on the IMDB page. You'd think films scheduled for production in 2006 & 2007 would be finished by now. You'd think PA would update the page to show new stuff.

Good grief, they still have a bit up on a 2004 book written by the son of a famous comedian.

In one squib, PA declares that "Hollywood is calling" when a clearance assistant happened to phone them up about their kid books.

A clearance assistant???? Oh, please.

It's not that impressive. Rather than go into a bookstore, the assistant probably did a google search for publishers and sent a form e-mail with a phone number.

PA said they "selected 51 different children's books to send," to the company. What do you want to bet that they got those writers to PAY for their own books--of maybe they just sent a list of titles to the assistant, expecting her to buy all of them + S&H.

PA played up big that the clearance assistant was at work on A-list picture. They left out that she is not listed on the film credits--I looked it up--and likely works in the office, never once visiting the set. Many movie industry people never get close to the camera, but shuffle papers around.

Get over yourself PA. A-list movies are based on bestsellers and you've diligently avoided THAT for the last 10 years.

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
Deep in the Kool-Aid. With people that want his book. With writers like him, it is PA that doesn't care and is living the dream.

Oh I know it brother. I tell you that all the haters I get emails from I jsut tell them you know what, i dont care. I am living my dream. As soon as I get an income going i will check out your books brother. I cant wait to read them.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I know it brother. I tell you that all the haters I get emails from I jsut tell them you know what, i dont care. I am living my dream. As soon as I get an income going i will check out your books brother. I cant wait to read them.
As Uncle Jim might say, please let us know how you feel in 6 months when you wake up from the dream.

We're not haters, dear writer, we're the warning notices tacked up around the quicksand pit.

quicksand_iStock_000005555142XSmall.jpg

A few of these outside the PA offices would be SOOOO cool!

Jill Karg

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what that does mean for the authors who sold only in hardcover?

And, did they pay for that "privilege."

I do recall vaguely when I first started getting their ad crap (even before book was ready for print) That there was an offer to convert books to hardback. So it could have very well converted the book to "hardback only" removing the softcover copy...which again sounds like a ploy to get those people that bought on this deal orginially to swich back again at their own cost. When we all know that the process hadn't changed just the backing and of course that isbn # too. Scam Scam Scam....almost as bad as spam spam spam.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does the PAMB seem to shut down on weekends?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
More on royalties

This time, the bestselling author has sold 13 copies, though of course she didn't get a check.

I just received a statement in the mail yesterday; it did say that I sold 13 copies. (Hurray!!!!) But that checks are not sent out unless royalties are $49.00 or more. Which I already knew, I’m just glad that they have it on their records, that indeed some were sold. As far the hardcover’s being discontinued, I was concerned so I called PA, they were very nice and explained that the full color children’s books that are in hardcover, are still going to stay that way. Far as I know anyway.
Fortunately for a cheerleader, she has one of the older contracts which doesn't set a $49-before-check limit.

I just recieved a check from PA for 1.75 for my book <title> along with a explaination letter which we have seen with other statements. I knew I sold atleast one copy of the book through the publishers web site. It is better then the February and last years royalty periods where I did not see a thing in royalties. At least I sold a book and sold severa copies personally to people myself.
I received a letter in the mail today saying I sold 8 copies of my first book <title> that was released in Feb 2010. At first I was really disappointed but after thinking about it I guess it’s better then a kick in the tail pipe. This is all so new to me so I am just going to push my books more and see what happens in Feb or March .
Looking at comments made by multiply-published PA authors whose books have been out for a year or two is always an option, if you want to see what your sales after a year or two will be like. Then again.

"Yes, but my book is different!"

I now have two poetry book <title> will be released on October 10th and a kids book <title> that is in the text department. My kids book is about our little 28 inch miniature horse my daughters and I bought at a sale to save from slaughter. We will be using the money made from that book to save more horse and ponies from slaughter. I have a paragraph in the back of the book explaining that .I hope no one looses faith in their writing if they don’t sell a lot of books at first. Just remember it takes time to get the word out .
It would be easier and more productive to send whatever money you can to the charity straight away, rather than trying to raise funds through the sales of PA-printed books.

Another author posted an email he had written to a "Book Marketing Strategist" in July.

Hey Warren

I'm on 889 web sites world wide. Just got into China and South Korea YEAH!!!!!!!!!

<author's name>
<book title>
How do I tell him I got zero sales and my web sites were really 1,400?
Bolding mine.

You tell him you went with PublishAmerica.

And finally, for some people it makes little to no difference as long as they can still play the game.

I got a statement, No check,I sold a couple books.I am discouraged a little.
I will try and stay positive.
icon_biggrin.gif

I am still glad to be an author

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And another person who equates not getting paid her royalties with "not losing anything":
Well another disapointing letter... no check, they said I didn't sell enough copys. I kept my statement from last time and it said that from Aug 1st 2009-Jan31 2010 I sold 27 copies. This time (Freb 1 2010- July 31 2010)around I sold a total of 6 copies. The note that came with it said that if books were ordered from other book dealers that they have 90days to pay PublishAmerica, then we will get paid as well. The first time I got this letter with my note saying I was not getting a check I knew like a few people who oredered off of barnesandnoble.com and amazon.com so I figured that's why I wasn't getting royalties. I tend to keep good track of where and when my friends order books. This time around I know the books weren't accounted for that were ordered on the other sites because 5 out of the 6 were through promotions my friends ordered from publishamerica when they had the books for 5.99 and 3.99. Only one was purchased at regular price. I wish it was easier to track our book sales through PA. It's hard to just take peoples word that that is how many you are really selling. I wish we could have more access to our sale breakdowns. Oh well... Publishig was free I haven't lost anything, just a lot of precious time.
Sigh.

Scribble10

Registered
Reaction score
I hopped over to PAMB. There's a lot of unhappy folks discussing their royalties in the Authors Lounge. I'm surprised the topic hasn't been shut down. Many moons ago PA would have squashed this type of thread quickly...Is the PA Beastie sleeping?...and why?

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Hmmm, don't promotions that sell to the general public known as readers still generate royalties or doesn't PA believe in honest accounting? Seems to me like you don't get to change the rules when it's the public purchasing the goods and not the authors self-purchasing.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Honest accounting"? No, no, Dave. It's called "creative accounting". First there's the No Royalties Paid on books purchased from certain venues. Then there's the No Royalties Paid until the accrued royalties reach a certain threshhold. Then there's the No Royalties Paid until the people we are suing pay us the money we think they owe us.

And who will quibble? After all, the authors were published for free. (Well, except for that fee they paid to have the errors PA put into their books removed. And that fee they paid to have their publication expedited. And the hundreds of dollars they spend on their books in order to get them listed on Amazon and B&N. Not that anyone's counting....)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
The author who believes she has lost nothing but her time was warned long before now that PA was a scam (an ex-author left a message in her guestbook).

But a couple of the newer authors asked interesting questions on that thread.

I think it would be really nice to hear from some of the more accredited PA authors. I would like to hear from some people who made it to the 50% mark in sales.

I think this would do a lot of good for all of us. What do you all think?
So you've noticed that the vast majority of the veterans don't bother to ask about their royalties? Good. Let's see if any of them even reply, much less talk about sales.

And this is a reply from a newbie who submitted two books to PA and is now working on her autobiography after PA offered to print that as well.

I think it might give us some encouragement. What about the "best seller" authors? Are any of them around to tell us how many copies they sold and what those checks look like?
These people aren't in it just to hold a printed, bound book in their hands, nor even to sell a few copies to Mom and Dad. It sounds as though they genuinely want the kind of sales they'll never get with PA.

Jill Karg

Registered
Reaction score
These people aren't in it just to hold a printed, bound book in their hands, nor even to sell a few copies to Mom and Dad. It sounds as though they genuinely want the kind of sales they'll never get with PA.

The light will dawn with these folks. But right now they have been given the same line of bullshit we all have been when we first were published by these assholes. I use the term "published" very loosely since it has never felt like I was after the first month of receiving "Congrads you are a publish author email, now buy some of your books."

Again, just my opinion. I hope they see the light soon and not buy any more of their books.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Bolding mine. I believe the clue bird is on final landing approach.
someone on the PAMB said:
Yeah, It would be nice to hear from some authors who have been more successful, or is the best sellers list those who have made 50 dollars...lol...I don't know. WE LIVE, WE LEARN, I guess. If there are any successful stories with the authors here I would love to hear them. If any of you are able to get in touch with any of them please let the rest of us know. Either way though I guess it is still nice to look on my mantle and See my own book. If it doesn't work out I can always take my work elsewhere in time. Time will tell.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
They keep asking for PA's "bestselling" authors to speak up.

I am aware that I won't get a check until I hit the $49 mark..... I have read the contract many times. I am saying my books that were ordered from the other sites (barnesandnoble.com/ amazon.com) should have been accounted for by now. I would like to hear from the PA "Bestseller" authors just to see how many books you have to sell to get a check. I know that each book price is different, but just to get an idea. I have sold 33 copies and no check yet
icon_cry.gif

And I just saw this on a honeymooner's blog.

So, my book went up on borders.com today but doesn't show the cover or book description, or even my name. It only shows the price and the ISBN#. I wrote to them asking them why it isn't there and to please rectify the situation. I'm still waiting on an answer. But at least the book is available through Borders' online bookstore.

...Is that the definition of "available", having a price and an ISBN up on a website?

Who's going to buy this except for the author's friends or family, who know the ISBN and don't care about the price?

Last edited:

Scribble10

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't able to copy/paste two replies into quotes from the PAMB. Maybe someone less computer challenged can!
In the mean time, check out Author's Lounge...thread "Book Pricing." There are 3 comments from PA Infocenter, replies 2 and 3 dated Aug. 4, 2010 are note worthy.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
Infocenter chimes in

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=32919&start=30

If you can provide us with any evidence that a sale was made for
which you were not compensated, we will be happy to thoroughly
investigate, and ensure that you are paid all that you are owed.
Practically any evidence will do, such as a receipt, order number,
name of person ordering, etc.

Please contact our [email protected] for more information.[/QUOTE

Keeping up with book sales is YOUR job PA, not your authors.

Jill Karg

Registered
Reaction score
That is a bunch of bullshit. So in other words, if you know the people we will add the sales onto you running count...unless you hit the magic number of 50.00 in sales then we might write you a royality check.

So how about the authors that don't know the people that bought their books? Just word of mouth saying "hey got your book, great read...ect" It is total bullshit and I wish that the IRS got of hold of their "Real" bookkeeping books.

They are such sham artist it is unnerving. And good luck with the support center. Emailed them a question 4 times and never had a response from them.

Guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Guys--this has been bothering me for a bit.

I've noticed many of the quotes here are from old PA posts. While it is important that they be preserved, I would prefer to see current stuff, not those that are months, even years old.

Some of you are clear on the dates, which I appreciate.

Perhaps we could consider focusing on fresh PA posts, rather than delving back into what by now for those writers is ancient history.

If nothing new comes up on their board, that's fine with me, there's no rule that this thread has to have something posted on it every few hours.

The PA victims who were so upbeat 6 months ago are either still swilling the Kool-Aid or figured things out and moved on (or were banned).

If nothing else, the locating and repeating of old posts by AW members is a hell of a time-eater--especially writing time.

Jill Karg

Registered
Reaction score
Some of you are clear on the dates, which I appreciate.

Perhaps we could consider focusing on fresh PA posts, rather than delving back into what by now for those writers is ancient history.

I agree but the last post from tlblack is current post (yesterday). But I have seen old posting.

The PA victims who were so upbeat 6 months ago are either still swilling the Kool-Aid or figured things out and moved on (or were banned).

I fall into two of those catagories. Figured things out and banned. :Hammer: It is frustating seeing post on their website "Happy I'm ...." and know that it is a matter of time that they will be "Unhappy......" and banned. So you can't tell the "happy i'm " the real truth before they buy x amount of books from the scam that is PA.