Status
Not open for further replies.

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Was checking royalties, etc. last night on Amazon and realized I'd really screwed up. When I'd put one of my books on sale a few months ago I'd dropped to the 35% royalty rate. When I took it off of the sale price...I forgot to raise the royalty rate back to 70%.

Back then it wasn't much of a deal, but now the book is selling really well, and I cost myself close to 400$ this month. :(

So, public service announcement--check your royalty rates occasionally! Just to be on the safe side!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Wise advice. I'd also add to check that your bank info. is current a few weeks before royalties are paid. One time mine had reset to blank spaces. It only happened once and I was alerted by a post on the KDP boards that it had happened to another author, so I checked mine. Sure enough, my bank info. was missing. If I hadn't noticed, I wouldn't have received my royalty payment that month.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Thanks for the warning, Calle. My book is on sale right now. I'll be sure to take care of that.

I do have a question, though, since you wrote this. If a book is eligible because of the price to have a 70% royalty rate, why would anyone ever choose to stay with the 35% rate? I mean, is there any reason to do that? Any benefit? Just wondering.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Thanks for the warning, Calle. My book is on sale right now. I'll be sure to take care of that.

I do have a question, though, since you wrote this. If a book is eligible because of the price to have a 70% royalty rate, why would anyone ever choose to stay with the 35% rate? I mean, is there any reason to do that? Any benefit? Just wondering.

If the book has a lot of photos, it can cost a lot for the download fee. At 35% royalty, there is no download fee. My books only have a few images and I think it costs eight or nine cents per download.

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Other than the photos, I can't think of a benefit. I mean, this one little oops on my part cost 390$ or so this month. :(

Merri, I'll check my bank info! I just changed it last week anyway; I'd hate for it to blank out!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
If the book has a lot of photos, it can cost a lot for the download fee. At 35% royalty, there is no download fee. My books only have a few images and I think it costs eight or nine cents per download.

Ah. Okay. This isn't something I was familiar with. So a cookbook, or something like that. Thanks for telling me, Merri!

Sorry about your costly mistake, Calle, but thanks again for the warning!

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Exactly. I have a few short stories that I price at $.99 cents. I add images of all my other books in the back, along with descriptions, because the royalty rate is 35%. The images make the file very large, but it doesn't matter because there is no download fee.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
So if you put your book on sale, the royalty drops automatically, but doesn't revert to the normal level automatically when you take it off sale?

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Torgo,
That's what happened, I think. When you go in and change the price for the sale on KDP (in my case, I put it at $.99 the month before the next in the series was to come out), you have to select the royalty rate.

Anything under $2.99 you have to check 35%. But when you go back in to readjust later, anything over $2.99 you can choose between the 35% an 70%. I forgot to change the default 35%, so was actually getting 35% of the $3.99 regular price, rather than the 70% it was eligible for. Thankfully the rest of the books on my bookshelf were correctly entered, so I didn't lose out on them, too.

Sure felt sick when I saw that!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your very expensive lesson, Callie. Thanks for giving the rest of us a heads up. There are so many things to learn.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Torgo,
That's what happened, I think. When you go in and change the price for the sale on KDP (in my case, I put it at $.99 the month before the next in the series was to come out), you have to select the royalty rate.

Anything under $2.99 you have to check 35%. But when you go back in to readjust later, anything over $2.99 you can choose between the 35% an 70%. I forgot to change the default 35%, so was actually getting 35% of the $3.99 regular price, rather than the 70% it was eligible for. Thankfully the rest of the books on my bookshelf were correctly entered, so I didn't lose out on them, too.

Sure felt sick when I saw that!

This feels like one of those suboptimal web design decisions that turn out to benefit the designer!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know to keep an eye on our bank info and the added costs of downloads in books over .99 containing images. Thanks, Merri

Status
Not open for further replies.