Nvidia releases a handheld system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Nvidia just surprised a whole bunch of people by announcing, of all things, a dedicated gaming handheld during the company's CES press conference.

Based on the new Tegra 4 mobile chip, also announced at the show, it's code-named Nvidia Shield. There are 5-10 hours of battery life, and it's based on a clamshell design, sort of like a DS (only without the bottom screen).

Running on Android (they say "pure Android", so hopefully no Nvidia skin), it's got a MicroSD slot, micro USB and HDMI output (which supports 4K output so long as your display does). The Shield's 5" screen is a touchscreen, and is capable of 720p display at 294dpi (they're calling it a "retinal display").

A small shield on the back of the top screen is removable and customisable. Below you'll see a size comparison, facing the Shield off against an Xbox 360 pad and a Wii U Controller.
http://kotaku.com/5973641/nvidia-ou...u_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow&post=55883934

It looks like it has some promise and it's nice to see a handheld with console style buttons and thumbstick.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm surprised to see a Nvidia console with no focus on the graphics. Or any specs on the graphics at all. The Tegra 4 chip isn't anything special

The idea of streaming Steam games is intruiging, though.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
John Walker of RPS has just tweeted "Bewildered by the credulous reporting of the daft NVidia Project Shield from every website. Be assured that RPS's post at 1 is different." What is he on about do you think?

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I'm surprised to see a Nvidia console with no focus on the graphics. Or any specs on the graphics at all. The Tegra 4 chip isn't anything special

That was the first thing I thought. The second was "So it's an android tablet with a game controller glued to it?" And looking at the comments of that article, that seems to be a pretty common question.

Like you, the only thing that really piqued my interest was the streaming stuff.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
John Walker of RPS has just tweeted "Bewildered by the credulous reporting of the daft NVidia Project Shield from every website. Be assured that RPS's post at 1 is different." What is he on about do you think?

What's RPS? Rock, Paper, Shotgun?

I can't see how he feels warranted calling it credulous, the articles are all based on what they were shown at a trade show. That's just standard journalism.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
What's RPS? Rock, Paper, Shotgun?

I can't see how he feels warranted calling it credulous, the articles are all based on what they were shown at a trade show. That's just standard journalism.

Yep, Rock Paper Shotgun. Not sure what he is on about but suspect he doesn't believe the streaming.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Well, isn't CES a little infamous for prototypes and floor show mock-ups that amount to nothing (or become wildly different)? It always seems like the skeptic hat is advised to be worn a little tighter than usual for CES than for other trade shows.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
RPS have their article up now. Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with their style, but I don't see why he hyped up the article and slagged off the other reports.

He just reiterated the stats, pondered whether it was better than an android phone with the similar specs, and gave an opinion on its looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.