Continuing the Southern Literature Tradition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Born in New Orleans, grew up south of Shreveport, had a pretty Southern Gothic life as a child. Used to play in the little building Josh Logan typed out "The Wisteria Tree" in.

Some of my characters are Southern although they don't stay there. Most of them end up with French surnames. Heck, I was a teen before I realized "Laffitte" was French. It's kind of hard to get away from it when you grew up that immersed in the culture.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Virginia, and have family from all up and down the East Coast. My current WIP is the first one that I've actually set in The South--it's turning into a road trip kind of novel, since one of my characters is an artist on tour. "The Carrion Girl" is set partially in a town that's very similar to one around here, but it's not distinctly Southern. And since it's a zombie novel, it mostly takes place inside a locked up videostore.

I have no interest in writing about the South. I write to get away from my everyday surroundings.

Kaylee

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Arkansas. Most of my characters are from here. I don't use a g in anytime when a southern character is speaking. I love the southern language which I fear is dieing out. I used to use ain't all the time in school. One teacher would tell me over and over that it wasn't a word that it wasn't in the dictionary. Well teach it is now.

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
So you moved across the street? :D

It's not that much different unless you try to make the regionalism part of the story. People don't notice if you don't give a northern character a northern accent, but they will notice if you do the northern accent wrong!

Hahaha :p Hey, give it some credit! Five hour drive...yeah, yeah I know :) But I guess I mean more of the atmosphere. I sure don't think kids from New York go mudding and go cow tipping. :D Not that I do or anything...No, really....

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
Also Arkansas. Kaylee, rep me where you're from! :)

I don't know that I fit the Southern Literary tradition, but my settings are definitely southern, although one book is in Oklahoma-- I always think of it and Texas a little differently than the deep South.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I aspire to continue the great New England writing tradition. :D

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
But having lived for a long time in the part of the Florida panhandle that is culturally more south Georgia, I can do Southern, too. Biregionalism rocks!

;)

Last edited:

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
I have no interest in writing about the South. I write to get away from my everyday surroundings.

Great Zot, YES. One of the few things I dislike about my annual writers conference here locally is the thick miasma of Southerninity, actually. When I hear twenty first pages read in a row, and EIGHTEEN of them are self-obsessed navel gazings about the region (either contemporary or historical), I have to admit, I wonder why so few of the creative people producing this stuff can't think more than fifty miles away from home. I love the south, but I read and write to learn something I'm not already surrounded by. I litereally don't get the point, I get bewildered that "creativity" doesn't mean going farther afield for more people.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Born and raised in GA.

I love my culture and region to bits.

I write about the modern South. Writing about the Old South is not my cup of tea.

Much of the South is in my novels. From the cooking to the speech,it's always with me. Plus,I write vampires roaming the A!

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Great Zot, YES. One of the few things I dislike about my annual writers conference here locally is the thick miasma of Southerninity, actually. When I hear twenty first pages read in a row, and EIGHTEEN of them are self-obsessed navel gazings about the region (either contemporary or historical), I have to admit, I wonder why so few of the creative people producing this stuff can't think more than fifty miles away from home. I love the south, but I read and write to learn something I'm not already surrounded by. I litereally don't get the point, I get bewildered that "creativity" doesn't mean going farther afield for more people.

Hold up a second :) Think of a few important non-Southern writers who wrote about their own culture. Let the names and their work sink in a minute.

Now imagine saying to them that their work is "self-obsessed navel gazings about the region."

Aaaack. That breaks my brain ;)

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
backslashbaby, I wasn't discussing important writers per se. I was discussing the extent to which (a) the screeners of first-pages for this Conference skewed to "Southern literature" and (b) the (apparent) number of local writers who could NOT write about anything else. What sinks in at the point of witnessing proportions like these, several years running, is that the overwhelming culture is: well, overwhelming.

That breaks *my* brain. As a storyteller, I do not understand the point of writing that close to personal experience. I love my home, I find the culture of my family, my region, my magnificent wrought-iron-clad city ineffably beautiful. But, though I can imagine writing about it - I cannot imagine writing about nothing *else*. And the indication of these first-pages sessions was that few people could imagine writing about *anything* else.

For the record, part of my point is that I think that indication is incorrect. Last year, proportions did shift, after about three years of homogeneity. As a writer, attending a conference, some part of the point (for *me*) is to expose myself to different things, different people, writers, and stories. It's hard to do that if the predominant style represented is all one of two things (Civil War South, and contemporary South - not even any early 20th century, native, or Civil Rights South represented). It defeats the purpose in a way, and perhaps distorts the reality of who's even there. I don't find that noble, or necessary to respect. I found it, before the aforementioned changes, alienating and perhaps in a way disrespectful of anything but that narrow view of Southern writer-dom.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Another Virginian here but I have lived all over this great country of ours and I have to say there is a cultural difference no matter where you live, from where you were raised. I lived in Huntsville Alabama for a few years and even though I am a southern boy, it was a shock at how southern they were down there...

I use Virginia and the Outer Banks in North Carolina in some of my short romance stories as well as a few detective stories, but my first love is Fantasy fiction on other worlds.

And West Virginia still owes Virginia for succeeding after the Civil War. The supreme court says so, and them damn Yankee turn coats have never paid up. I wonder what my share would be with interest...

Status
Not open for further replies.