Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I was actually thrilled yesterday when I watched the interview...I wish I could remember the website that had the live feed?

Reaction score
Easy for you to say, Snookum. I guess I grew up believing that the Nobel means you're the best of the best of the best in the whole wide world... sort of like an Olympic gold medal. I just don't think I would trivialize it like you do.

Yes, it is easy for me to say, because I know what matters to me and the Nobel Prize isn't it. Maybe to you it means you're the best in the world, but to some people it's not a big deal.

Not bothering about something doesn't mean I'm trivialising it. It means I accept it matters to other people but I simply don't care. Other things matter more to me.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'd be annoyed by the glare myself too. Kudos to her. I don't believe in grace...I really don't. If it happened to be, it would depend on the mood I was in that day. If it was a shit day, they'd get the same response. "Feck off...I'm weeding my garden."

I think the Nobel committee just crossed you off the list. ;)

It's fine by me if you both think the Nobel is just barely better than a kick in the nuts. To each his own, I suppose.

When I win my Nobel, I won't thank either of you. :tongue

Reaction score
BBC News article

Profile of Doris Lessing

I like her attitude. At least it's not gushing and "Oh my God! This is such an honour!" crying nonsense, a la Gwyneth Paltrow and (as has been mentioned) Sally Field.

Strange how not everyone seems to understand there are people in the world who can control their reactions on receiving an award.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think people who just do are pretty cool. People who do for worship...screw them.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
But you would think that at least she would be pleased that her work will stay in print and be essentially eternally available to future readers.

Her work has been in print continuously for decades, and shows no sign of being otherwise. The Nobel doubtless helps some writers a great deal with a boost in publicity and popularity. It won't hurt, obviously, but it's probably not so much of a boost for Doris Lessing.

caw

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I like her attitude. At least it's not gushing and "Oh my God! This is such an honour!" crying nonsense, a la Gwyneth Paltrow and (as has been mentioned) Sally Field.

Just to clarify, being "graceful" about it doesn't mean you have to gush and go gaga and say, "You like me, you really really like me." Just so we understand each other.

A simple "thank you" would be just fine. Instead of saying, "oh, it's barely better than a kick in the teeth." Can we be a bit more disenchanted?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is easy for me to say, because I know what matters to me and the Nobel Prize isn't it. Maybe to you it means you're the best in the world, but to some people it's not a big deal.

Not bothering about something doesn't mean I'm trivialising it. It means I accept it matters to other people but I simply don't care. Other things matter more to me.

But think of all the haggis you could buy with that money.

caw

Reaction score
Just to clarify, being "graceful" about it doesn't mean you have to gush and go gaga and say, "You like me, you really really like me." Just so we understand each other.

A simple "thank you" would be just fine.

She did express her thanks. She said she was very pleased.

Reaction score
And just for the record, the prize I want is the Booker. Not as 'big' in some people's eyes, but it's the one I grew up watching. I read the shortlists, keep an eye on the longlists...each to their own, as has been said. That's the thing that would make me feel proud of myself.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Funny that she's causing such an uproar and she didn't even decline. "I'll take your money, ya pissants, but screw ya."

I laugh.

Remember Cohen:

In 1969, Leonard Cohen declined the Governor General's Literary Award for English Language Poetry (for his Selected Poems 1956-1968). Critics considered his refusal of the award an unpatriotic act but Cohen says it was simply a spontaneous gesture that felt right at the time.

he just felt like saying, "Um...no thanks."

I guess RayRay might say that was done with grace?

I think the two maybe share the same sentiment..."Who cares. I'm just doin' my thing."

Nobody runs out to the curb and presents the garbage man with a trophy for wonderful service...but the place would smell like shit if they didn't just do their thing.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
And just for the record, the prize I want is the Booker. Not as 'big' in some people's eyes, but it's the one I grew up watching. I read the shortlists, keep an eye on the longlists...each to their own, as has been said. That's the thing that would make me feel proud of myself.

I just wanna be loved by you...

and nobody else but you...

booboobeeedooo.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Her work has been in print continuously for decades, and shows no sign of being otherwise. The Nobel doubtless helps some writers a great deal with a boost in publicity and popularity. It won't hurt, obviously, but it's probably not so much of a boost for Doris Lessing.

caw
It helped in this case, I'd never heard of her before.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

To some of us, that's a "oh, big deal." :) Many people don't even know what a Booker is.

For me, it would be a Pulitzer -- at least it's feasible to win that. I've known at least two Pulitzer prize winners, and that's very cool.

Of course, I would love to have that Nobel trophy and the money. Oh yeah, wouldn't give away that $1.5 mil.

Reaction score
I don't think I'd be eligible for a Pulitzer anyway. Do you have to be American, or living in America?

We cancel each other out, Ray, 'cause you're not eligible for the Booker if you have American citizenship, so ner ner ner ner ner! :D

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I would give away the prize money...to charity. If you're in that league, you don't need the money...in my opinion the money is a waste. Why lavish rich with money. I know, I know it happens all the time. Doesn't make it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.