School Uses Girl as Rape "Bait;" Fails to Stop The Rape

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think if it all happened as the articles state, it was a stunningly idiotic plan, went tragically wrong, and they've shredded the boy's history to try to cover their butts.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So it's got me wondering. Why were they doing sting operations? Did they have experience doing such? What matters were they attempting to get the sting on? What were their successes and more importantly, what were their failures?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Update:

Alabama School Wants Alleged Rape Victim to Reveal Name

A teenager who says she was raped after a school worker tried to use her as bait to catch an alleged sexual predator should be forced to publicly reveal her name to pursue a lawsuit, an Alabama school system argued in court.

Madison County schools filed documents with the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals this week opposing anonymity for a now-19-year-old woman who maintains she was raped at school at age 14 during a scheme hatched by a teacher's aide to catch another student accused of improper sexual advances.

A lawyer for the young woman called the system's position unusual since victims of sexual assaults often are allowed to use only their initials or a pseudonym like "Jane Doe" in civil lawsuits.

Disgusting.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Perhaps. But the actual meat of this new development is buried at the bottom of the linked story.

Mastando said the young woman now wants to be included as a plaintiff in the case since she is no longer a minor.

"It's a pretty routine idea that now that she is an adult she should be able to handle her own affairs and that she should be able to remain anonymous because of her age when this happened," she said.

School officials contend the young woman doesn't meet court standards for being allowed to pursue a lawsuit anonymously.

The suit was filed by her father. She wants to be included as an adult. (I shall choose to admire her courage.) This may well change things, legally. I don't know.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps. But the actual meat of this new development is buried at the bottom of the linked story.
True. I never know where to quote from.

The suit was filed by her father. She wants to be included as an adult. (I shall choose to admire her courage.) This may well change things, legally. I don't know.

The article states that adult victims often use initials or Jane Doe, so I don't see how. She's choosing to be added on now, because she is now old enough, and was a child when it happened. But if children can be anonymous and adult victims can be anonymous, I can't see why she should be forced to be identified. I'm going to watch for updates.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I assume it must be different in that part of the USA, but here in Ontario Canada one of the major misconceptions people have when reporting assault or rape is that their name will be made public. It's one of the many reasons that the victims gave for not reporting Jian Ghomeshi. After the police explained that there is no obligation for the victim to go public, suddenly many women began reporting to the police and there are now I think 4 women who have officially charged Ghomeshi, only one of whom has shared her name publicly.

I can absolutely understand if the law is different in Alabama, but considering what other posters here have said on the subject, I think this is just intimidation pure and simple.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The US has rape shield laws.

The naming of the victim is a way to try and shame, or embarrass her, or make other girls/women too afraid to come forward, believing they will be publicly named.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
The US has rape shield laws.

The naming of the victim is a way to try and shame, or embarrass her, or make other girls/women too afraid to come forward, believing they will be publicly named.

Yeah, the only reason the school could have for wanting her publicly named is to make her life horrible. Probably so that she'll drop the suit to just make it go away.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
So then I guess my question is what possible judge would allow that? Is it even possible to agree to revealing a victim's name without her consent? What possible circumstance could there be in which a victim is forced to do it and it be a just and right choice?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
The article states that adult victims often use initials or Jane Doe, so I don't see how.

Oh, I agree, and there are rape shield laws, and any number of previous cases where rape victims' identities were shielded. I'm just wondering if there isn't some clumsy language in a law there that makes the being added to the complaint require her being named. I hope not.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com