Middling It

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Fi,

It's slightly similar to my sale to The W@shington P a few years ago, they promised pro-rates but actually offered 2 dollars. In this case I queried them about it upon acceptance and when they were remarkably unprofessional about responding it made it easier to just reject the acceptance. Otherwise it would have been a lot harder. It's a bit of a gamble waiting for the A, but I'd probably do it as you subbed in good faith. I'd be a bit suspicious anyway given the failure of their previous pay rates (surely they should have factored this in to their business plan?) but if the editors have a previous reputation of being decent then you will surely get paid something. In this case it's a matter of how prestigious and decent you think the market is or whether you want to chance it at other markets. Good luck though, I hope you figure it out.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Aislinn and Project Deadlight - that helps, so for now I think I will wait - as you say, I submitted in good faith, and it may not turn into an acceptance. If that happens I can actually look at the contract. Simon, I remember your debacle with the W@shington P - not impressive! But, as you say, at least it made it easier to reject the A!

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
bump at Ap3x, here's hoping!

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Keeping good thoughts for all the nail-biters.
V1c - That's one of my favorite venues. Wish you well with it.

Fihr -- Sounds like a good plan. I'm less experienced than some of the others, so I'll only add that of my four recent pro bumps, not one ended in an acceptance. Not to sound discouraging, just to add the perspective PD brought up -- pay rates could be a non-issue. By the time they decide, maybe they'll have a better idea of their finances. :) BTW, you're wise not to name the publication. These posts show up in searches & Google alerts.

Years ago, I avoided new places because in addition to the risk of non-payment, there's the risk of an accepted story never being published. Often not out of any bad intent -- people new to publishing often make mistakes and go under. I'm more flexible now, yet I still usually wait. And even the best venues sometimes don't survive.

I'm bummed that Bew*re the D!rk isn't making it. In December, the owner posted: "I feel terrible (if issue #2 is the last one) about the people whose work I've already accepted. But if people aren't buying the mag then their work isn't going to be seen so it doesn't really make any difference if it's published in BTD anyway. The bottom line with anything really is that if people aren't interested then you have to cut your losses." And this is an excellent mag by a fine publisher.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Now 112 days at Spinetingler. Their most recent rejections averaged about 85 days, and neither Duo nor Grinder show other pending stories. I'll query in a few days (after 120) to learn whether I got bumped or lost.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Fi,
I agree with the others. If it were me, I'd wait it out (assuming they don't hold it too long). If it's an R, then problem solved and if it's an A, you can decide then what to do based on what they offer. Hope it works out the best possible way :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Eliza and Batspan. Yes, I'm waiting - we'll see what happens. :D

Eliza - you must be looking forward to the ceremony! I am looking forward to reading a write-up on your blog. No pressure or anything…!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Eliza and Batspan. Yes, I'm waiting - we'll see what happens. :D

Eliza - you must be looking forward to the ceremony! I am looking forward to reading a write-up on your blog. No pressure or anything…!

I am! I leave on Monday for my WotF week. The big gala is Sun the 13th. Should be quite a week! This year is the first time they're dropping the writing essays in the book and adding bonus stories by past judges, so I'll share a TOC with Orson Scott Card, Mike Resnick and Robert Silverberg! I don't know if Robert Silverberg will attend this year or not, but the other two are slated to be at the event :D

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
I am! I leave on Monday for my WotF week. The big gala is Sun the 13th. Should be quite a week! This year is the first time they're dropping the writing essays in the book and adding bonus stories by past judges, so I'll share a TOC with Orson Scott Card, Mike Resnick and Robert Silverberg! I don't know if Robert Silverberg will attend this year or not, but the other two are slated to be at the event :D

Congrats, Eliza! Enjoy! And what a fabulous ToC to be part of :D

Fihr, I know you've entered WoTF before. What would you do about the ceremony if you placed? (And aren't there writing seminars too, or something like that?) Do you think you'd be able to fly over? One of the reasons I haven't entered (as well as writing very short stories lately) has been the issue of not being able to take advantage of those benefits even if I managed to place. I'd be interested to hear what you think...

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Eliza! Enjoy! And what a fabulous ToC to be part of :D

Fihr, I know you've entered WoTF before. What would you do about the ceremony if you placed? (And aren't there writing seminars too, or something like that?) Do you think you'd be able to fly over? One of the reasons I haven't entered (as well as writing very short stories lately) has been the issue of not being able to take advantage of those benefits even if I managed to place. I'd be interested to hear what you think...

The cool thing for us Australians is they fly you over there at their expense. Australians have been among the winners in the past, and it seems they even accommodate a bit of extra time to get over the jet lag. And yes, there's a workshop, with successful authors that we'd never normally have the chance to see/hear/meet/learn from directly over here. I think it all lasts for about a week.

Plus, a nice non-material benefit is when you tell your friends who know you 'write on the side', a trip to LA is a very validating prize - not that its the reason you write or anything, but when I mentioned I was a finalist last year and the nature of the prize, I found suddenly people viewed my writing activities as if they might actually have potential, rather than just like someone's scrap booking hobby if you know what I mean. (No offence to those who enjoy scrap booking!) :D

If I ever won, I'd just tell hubby to look after the kids for a week and go! The biggest hassle would be arranging childcare for after school etc but I'm sure something could be done. I'd love to have that particular problem one day! So, you should enter if you can… the only downside is that you do have to wait a while to get your results back from the competition.

Last edited:

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Aislinn.

Yep, what Fihr said. This year we have a writer winner from Finland and one from Australia, and the illustrator winners are usually far more international than the writers!

The contest is amazingly generous, from prize money and pro payment, to the workshop, and most of all, the very elaborate awards ceremony. There's nothing else like it that I know of at this level (non-SFWA qualifying), that preps you for things like talking with pros, doing interviews and book signings, and getting up on stage at a big awards ceremony. It's called the American Idol of writing for good reason. I would totally encourage writers to submit there!

Last edited:

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
You're welcome, Fihr. Vibing on a good ultimate outcome.

Eliza -- Congrats and enjoy!

Aislinn -- Go!

Peter -- Hope it's a good word.

I'm trying to ignore the ones I have out past the usual R stage. I ignore them by looking at Grinder and my email daily. Making myself write more new ones is the only thing that helps.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
I got a 'hold request' from ASIM, saying my story made it through the second round of readers. It also said approximately 1 in 20 go from this shortlist to publication. That info will keep me grounded!

Now I'm going to try to write something new while I still have a little middling-it buzz.

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Aislinn -- That's exciting news from Asimov's. I can only imagine what the odds are on getting to hold status! You made it out of a major, top-notch slush pile. :)

Yes, onward with the next story.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I like ASIM (pst, batspan, I think she means Andromeda Spaceways - still top notch!). They were one of my first publishing credits. Cool people, there. Best of luck to you Aislinn!

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Thanks, V -- My dyslexia is showing. I for Inflight. Yes, also a cool venue!

I'm a few days past the usual response times on two subs. Trying not to get hopes up.

If anyone else is waiting on Start a Revolution, the editor posted an update. He still plans to respond to everyone by April 30:
http://michaelmatheson.wordpress.com/start-a-revolution/

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
I like ASIM (pst, batspan, I think she means Andromeda Spaceways - still top notch!). They were one of my first publishing credits. Cool people, there. Best of luck to you Aislinn!

Haha, that's right, V1c, and thanks.

Thanks, Bat. (I have a cherished memory of a personal R from Asimov's - a hold request would also be very nice!!)

I have so many stories that have been out there for ages, it's good to get even a little bit of news (and quickly in this case).

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I've had a story out at Penumbra for 65 days now. The call for the theme ('isolation') has closed and still no word. I think I'm going to query today and see what's up.