Any Virginians here?// Holiday get-together?? (cf. post 129)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick reminder: NoVA meetup for AWers this Saturday at 12:30 at Curry Mantra in Fairfax.

As I feared, I'm going to have to pass. I just got my schedule for the industrial I start shooting Sunday morning, and I have a boatload of lines to learn! I will be sitting at home Saturday doing my "other" job and feeling sorry for myself. :cry:

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
I am delinquent in posting this. Had a great meet-up on Saturday with Namatu (a third AWer had planned to join us but something came up at the last minute). We had a great lunch at an Indian restaurant, then went to Starbucks to share crits on each other's first chapters.

Will be doing this again soon, so stay tuned!

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Hey, Virginians (and Wash metro area Absolute Writers) --

Any interest in having a holiday get-together in December? (I'm asking early because I know holiday weekends tend to get booked fast!)

What do you think?

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My holiday weekends are all booked up - performances start for GYPSY (Signature Theatre in Arlington) December 17th and I will no doubt be rehearsing like a crazy person up until then - but keep me in the loop. There's always a chance I might not be rehearsing if our meetup is earlier in December rather than later.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
mrsmig, we can definitely try something on the early side. Would be great to meet up with you and hear how things are going. Could do either lunch on a weekend or even dinner on a week night, whatever works best.

Cheers to all Virginians!

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Post-holiday lunch!

Hello, and happy new year!

Namatu and I will be meeting for lunch at 1:00 on Sunday, 12 January, at Shakthi, a Sri Lankan restaurant in Alexandria (Del Ray area). If you're in the area and are free, please consider joining us! We'll have lunch, then repair to a coffee shop to share drafts and do a gentle crit.

Best regards -- hope to see others there!

http://shakthicuisine.com

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, and happy new year!

Namatu and I will be meeting for lunch at 1:00 on Sunday, 12 January, at Shakthi, a Sri Lankan restaurant in Alexandria (Del Ray area). If you're in the area and are free, please consider joining us! We'll have lunch, then repair to a coffee shop to share drafts and do a gentle crit.

I have two shows on Sunday, so I'll have to pass, darn it.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Sorry to hear that, mrsmig. We'll have a samosa in your honor, though, and wish you all the best for your shows!

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm over in Reston...

No kidding? Me too.

I'd love to add my name to the NOVA/Virginia AWers Hangout Thing.

Got plans tomorrow, but will keep my eyes on this thread for future event.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, CobraMisfit!

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Namatu and I had a great time yesterday, lunch at the Sri Lankan restaurant (interesting food!) and then coffee and crating over at St. Elmo's Coffee Bar, just down the street.

We're toying with the idea of having a future meet-up at one of the local wineries. Anyone else interested in that?

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Namatu and I had a great time yesterday, lunch at the Sri Lankan restaurant (interesting food!) and then coffee and crating over at St. Elmo's Coffee Bar, just down the street.

We're toying with the idea of having a future meet-up at one of the local wineries. Anyone else interested in that?

Gosh, that sounds great, but my wackadoo schedule will probably prevent me from joining you (unless it's on a Monday, har har).

I'll just have to eat my heart out. :cry:

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
I kind of lost track of this thread for a while, so I've been catching up reading the 6 pages. Although I live outside of Richmond, I have a son living in Purcellville, so I get up to NOVA periodically. Maybe our paths will cross. I haven't actually met anyone from Absolute Write yet, but I hope that will change.

For anyone interested, here is a piece I copied from Neil Sagebiel's Facebook page about a writer's weekend workshop in southwest VA.

There are still a few spots available for a writer's retreat led by yours truly (Neil Sagebiel). "Writing and Publishing Your Nonfiction Book" will be on Friday evening, March 7 through Sunday morning, March 9 at Ambrosia Farm Bed and Breakfast and Studio in Floyd, VA. The cost is $120 plus lodging. Contact me through Facebook or at [email protected] for more details.

My wife and I have been to Ambrosia Farm B&B a couple of times; it's a beautiful little place in a beautiful part of the state. I went to a writer's workshop there last year and it was a wonderful weekend. I'll be attending this one (a Christmas present from my wife!)

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Namatu and I are getting together for lunch at Myanmar Restaurant in Fairfax next Saturday (8 March) at 1:00. Please join us if you can for a writers' lunch and meet-up!

The restaurant apparently doesn't have a website, but here's a link to the menu and a map.

If you can come, please let Namatu and/or me know so we can reserve a table, if necessary.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Monthly lunches!

Namatu and I have decided to try monthly writer lunches (with optional crit reads over coffee afterwards). We're going to start with second Saturdays (with Sundays as the rain dates). That means our next Virginia writer lunch will be Saturday, April 12, at a restaurant to be determined.

Hope some of you in the northern Virginia area can join us!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Arrrrr...my Saturdays and Sundays are booked solid through the end of May (doing The Threepenny Opera at Signature Theatre). Sorry I can't join you!

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
That's okay, mrsmig -- we'll be meeting again in June!

We might need to meet the third weekend in July since Namatu has an exotic vacation planned earlier that month, but otherwise we're aiming to stay on track for second Saturdays.

Cheers!

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
*waves*

I'm not on the boards much anymore due to time constraints, but will try to keep up with the meet-n-greets. I live down in the Hampton Roads area but travel a lot for my job... so there is always the possibility I'll be in NoVA at the right time.

Thanks for the invite vagough! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.