Picoult Versus the NYT White Male Bias

Status
Not open for further replies.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
The prejudice runs both ways, but given that most men prefer not to write women's fiction, you don't hear much about it in the other direction. Yes, women are still asked, on a regular basis, to use initials or take on a male name for works like mystery, thriller, etc. because the presumption is that men do not prefer to buy a book written by a woman and therefore less men will pick it up. I don't think publishers dreamed this up. I think they have the numbers to support it. They have every reason to want a woman's book to be successful, so I don't think they'd make the recommendation unless they thought it would equate to higher sales.

Also, for those of us that write women's fiction, that's the preferred title. Chick lit has been completely and utterly dead for years and in fact, if you use that description in a query, you're not likely to even get a read.

I write ST mystery/romances and I also write for Harlequin Intrigue. One of the fairly well-known Intrigue authors is a man, but readers do not know that and likely never will. But that's ONE case I know of in all of women's fiction. Not saying there aren't others, but I think the case of men asked to take women's names is much, much less.

But in the end, none of us can do anything about it but write a great book and wish people weren't so narrow minded.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
But in the end, none of us can do anything about it but write a great book and wish people weren't so narrow minded.

I agree! Well said. I don't even look at the author, unless it's an author I purposely set out to buy. Usually, I just get what sounds good to me. I've been surprised by how well male authors can write from a female POV and vice versa.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. What DeaK said. Prejudice may very well exist in publishing to a greater degree than it exists generally in our society. (As pointed out, we are not a society free of prejudice. I'm not denying that it is an actual phenomenon.) But before I'll believe that it's rampant and is affecting the careers of female writers in such a way that they deserve more money but can't get it because they are female and for no other reason, I would need to see data. That's just the kind of brain I have. I am a hardcore skeptic. About everything.

And no, the mere existence of awards for women who write, or for any other minority group who writes, does not mean that there is a definite prejudice against these people. Sometimes it's fun just to celebrate a group's achievements by having special "us only" awards. I'm cool with that.* But the awards themselves are not necessarily indicative of a prejudice against these people within the industry.

*and I wish we lived in a society that was so free of prejudice that men were free to have their own awards for men's achievements in writing -- and in other creative pursuits. Alas, though, there is even a prejudice against men. Especially white men. They're not allowed to celebrate anything they do because they are supposedly privileged just because of their gender and/or skin color. This isn't always true, of course, and they deserve to be proud of who they are just like everybody else. But we look down on them if they try it. That's a topic for another thread and possibly another web site altogether, though. Let's not harsh on the men too hard, is all I'm saying. They're people, too, and they have feelings just like everybody.

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
But I still want to see stats when it's a specific case that lends itself to stats. The proportion of book reviews for different groups of authors is ideal for statistical analysis. So ideal that it makes me dubious when someone makes a claim without any numbers backing it up (even the numbers for the last few editions of the NYT would be better than nothing and wouldn't take that long to compile).

Slate ran some stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.