The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm too embarrassed to say how many pairs of shoes I have. Assuming I decided to count them. (In my defense I have some that go back decades.) Going barefoot so long, some of my 5.5s don't fit so well anymore, so I suppose some of the closed toes won't count. Suffice it to say, I have a lot.

I don't buy them as often as I used to, though. Maybe a few pair a year, now. Unless I see something really cute and comfy. Or that I need. Or that's on sale. :)

*whistles innocently*

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I own 3 pair for winter: Black, brown, and ivory (the "good" pair). All flats. I own 1 pair for summer (white), plus flip-flops and Bass criss-cross sandals. I also own sneakers for winter and summer. If shoes fit me, I wear them till they fall apart, style be damned. :) Then again, I buy basic styles so I don't have to worry about that. :D

My mother, OTOH, owned a staggering number of shoes when she worked in an office. I recall 2 pairs specifically dyed to match 2 outfits. I am her total opposite in some ways.

I was on the phone just now with my folks, and Mr. Lily took kiddo to his next ref job. Mr. Lily also took his own ref bag, and he's not back yet. My instincts tell me he got an emergency sub call.

One would've thought he'd say, "Excuse me, honey, but I've got a game too." Because, yanno, I have to plan supper and things like that. :rolleyes:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't worn heels for decades. I wore platform shoes back in the 70s, and that was the last time. I love flat shoes, the flatter the better and the less they feel like shoes the better. I'd go barefoot all the time given half a chance.
I have three pairs of shoes, some battered old Reeboks that I've had for about 8 years, a pair of dress shoes I've had for even longer and a cheapo pair from Wally World that are as comfortable as slippers. I love them.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
That said, there's an art to buying them. You have to know what your idea height differential is, meaning not the actually height of the heel, but the difference between heel height and platform height. For example, those new wedges are , but on a platform, which means the height differential on your foot is less than . Personally, I can't do a differential more than or I can't walk comfortably.

Wait, math? I'm supposed to do SHOE MATH? ::Head explodes::

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
blondie you are such a pro!

i've killed myself more than once at
conventions in bad shoes.

cindy, still revising but ready for scallion pancakes soon

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I have this pair of "house slippers" or whatever you wanna call them from China. They're like flip flops except there's no thingie between the toes, it's just a strap over the top of your feet. These things are as light as air because they're made out of some sort of blue foam. They're what people keep in the house to wear since they don't wear shoes inside and the tile floors are cold. (Although I loved them so much I wore them around town in China and everyone thought I was a mental case - which is ironic since they WEAR PJ's IN PUBLIC.) Anyway they are soooo comfy, but the soles are slowly wearing away and I am going to be totally heartbroken when they're all used up.

Maybe if Lisa goes to China sometime soon I can convince her to bring some back for me. :)

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
ME TOO!

the chinese bakery & eats ADD to
the ambiance of my novels.

cindy, sacrificing all for good prose (HAHA)

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
I love scallion pancakes.
Now there's a classic example of: ooh, shiny! :)

I do love scallion pancakes too. Cindy made my mouth water the other day on twitter.

Blond, you really do have this shoe thing down to a fine art. I like shoes a lot, but trend far towards the comfy end overall. I've had to do too many wine trade shows, standing for 6-8 hours in pain and eventually bare feet. I was incredibly proud of myself that I managed to be both stylish and supremely comfortable walking in Paris in my black suede C0le Hahn N1ke A1r shoes. On sale at the outlet and they will now last for years and remain in style.

I actually popped back in to say something about my age thing (talk about easily distracted!). I really didn't mean to be so vain about it, and I'm really not down. I just don't like it. Thanks for all the reps and lovely things that were said. I really appreciate it. Now I promise not to mention it for another year.

Can I talk about weight gain instead? Anyone know of a diet where I can still eat my favourite things, which happen to be:

sugar
cream
pasta
rice
bread
cream
cake
ice cream
cream
chips
cream

Or alternatively, is there a patch that makes you not crave them??

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
*streaks through*

I’m being given revision time by hubs and need to go get after it. Trouble with my back kept me from getting as much done this week as I wanted. Want to be through Ch. 12 by tomorrow and right now I’m only just into 8.

*rolls up sleeves*

Blond — I love all the shoe talk. :)

Blue — I do!! W3ight W@tchers. :D

I have a friend who got picked for that Nickelod30n sexy mommy bl0gger thing this month, and she did a feature about me on her blog yesterday. It’s here if anyone’s interested. :)

Off to work! :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But Blue, what about cream?

I do Weight Watchers, too, and I can have every single thing on that list. It's all about healthy choices and portion control. I'm not perfect by a long shot, but even if I were, I might be able to have cake and ice cream, followed by a big glass of cream (yuck!) without 'cheating.'

Maryn, still a long way to go

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
blue i do week day embargos and allow lesser
evils during week. i try to cut back bad snacks
& keep lots of fruits on hand as well as almonds.

i am always allowed froyo with mochi and
eat my pastries in the weekends. also i increse
exercise at least by 1x during the week.

i don't believe in long term denial of any
type of food. makes me bitchy & miserable.
(and a those around me, ha!)

portions the most helpful for me.
and keeping healthy options on hand.
good luck! you look great but i know what
it's like wanting to
maintain your Happy Weight.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Not that I'm dieting, but I think I mentioned a while ago that I had gone cold-turkey off of juices and sodas and was drinking not much more than plain water. (Thanks to a photo of various drinks next to piles of sugar cubes.) After my sugar detox, I ended up slowly going back to drinking juice because my stupid pregnant stomach cannot tolerate plain water for some reason. ANYWAY long story short I finally got my juicer back from my in-laws and started making my own fresh OJ with apples and carrots thrown in. SO GOOD. SO SO SO GOOD. I have no idea how much healthier or less sugary this is than store bought juice, but at least it makes me feel better about what I'm drinking. :)

In other news, a little pissed at hubs right now because he stayed up into the wee hours of the morning playing Diablo. Which means he's now napping and I'm getting to run interference with a naughty Sharkbite. This weekend was supposed to be a break for me, since for various reasons I ended up with no grandma support this week. Aaaaand so far it's not. He SHALL be making up for this tomorrow. :evil

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorta thinking of going back on my diet. I walked today. That was good. Somehow I'm not sure the big omelette I had at lunch qualifies.

I wrote about 400 words today. Correction - dictated. I truly think I'm going to really love this! The story is about 3/4 done I think.

I'm still working out some of the mystery part. I had the last piece worked out and now I can't remember what it was. It was the middle of the night and as I was drifting off to sleep after being up half the night. I should have gotten up and written it down. I distinctly remember thinking, "OMG that works perfectly!" I hope I wasn't dreaming and it comes back to me.

*nooblet*

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Wait, math? I'm supposed to do SHOE MATH? ::Head explodes::

HAHAHAHAH!

Heels = never.

Since I started wearing the barefoot shoes, my posture has way improved, FWIW. I used to walk tilted forward (I'd catch my reflection in passing windows). Now I walk standing straight up. It's really pretty remarkable.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking at those shoes off and on for a while now. Which style do you have, Lisa?

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I buy shoes that I never wear because they are pretty and I luff dem.

That said.... Walking/running shoes have a life span of about 500 miles. After that the deterioration in the support & such will lead to unhappy ankles, knees, hips & backs.

Lela,
who spends a lot of time talking people into buying new shoes and sports bras.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finding a full-figure sports bra that works, fits, and doesn't smoosh you into a uniboob is always a pain in the ass. Sometimes I wear a regular bra underneath just to keep the damn things separated.

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
I love scallion pancakes.

+1

Cat's Meow makes a really good scallion pancake. The dude has flaws, but he can cook like a boss.

I love the shoe conversation. I have a stupid amount of shoes, actually. Mostly flats, though.

Winter: Yellow cowboy boots, purple suede boots, red fur-lined boots, brown Uggs.

Spring: Green wellies, battered blue pro Keds, new blue ProKeds, Converse "Helen" low tops, pastel pink Bensimons, green "vintage" Nikes.

Summer: brown leather "Athena" sandals from Cole-Haan (from last year and apparently they don't make them anymore and I love them. Sad.) Various flip flops from Target and other places. Pony -fur slides from Dries Van Nooten (gift from closeted-gay ex-BF at secondhand store "INA" for about forty bucks. SCORE!) Wacky "elf shoes" that I bought in Italy.

Fall: Black leather handmade shoes from this weird Soho boutique that may have been called "Shoe." Brown leather oxfords. Vintage black, orange, yellow and red cowboy boots that are so comfortable, I could walk ten miles in them, gift from same secret-gay ex-bf who had splendid shoe-scoring karma.

All seasons: Japanese silver and pink running shoes that I used to think were really ugly but suddenly realized are super cool.

... *looks around* What? Why is everyone nodding off?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Monoboob--I has it. I wear spaghetti-strap tops with extra BOOK support panels in the summer. This is part of the "I'm comfortable so don't look if you think I'm too old for this" mindset. However, I'm always going into the bathroom or hiding in a corner to make two-boob magic. :rolleyes:

Re: Posture. I took a Tai Chi class when College Boy was little. The teacher apparently knew his stuff but was way too interested in bragging about all the awards he'd won, the skills he'd mastered, the appearances he'd made, yada, yada. For one of his show-offs, he made us all stand in a line and hold up our hands. Then he said he'd push his chi through all of our hands. I'm possibly just a cranky old bitch, but I felt nothing. People closer to him said they felt something.

Anyway, the one takeaway I got from that series of lessons was how to walk. Before, I would bounce on the balls of my feet, which rolled outward. Now I walk smoothly and evenly, and my posture (which I learned in a beauty pageant when I was 16, is good. Helps with the gravity effect on the BOOKS, too. :tongue

Um... scallion pancakes?

Last edited:

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
On another note, my mind was boggled by an editorial on j3z3b3l that claimed that 95% of women look bad in strapless dresses. WH-A-A-T? I get that strapless is a challenging style for those of us with big books, but shoulders and arms with no straps look so lovely I think in a strapless style-- on a lot of different body types. Am I crazy?

And this is supposed to be a feminist website, mind you. What is this crap that "only skinny women can wear that look" or whatever? I don't agree with that. I mean, obviously no one wants to struggle into a strapless bra every frickin' day, but unflattering is not an accurate description, I don't think. /rant.

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am not what you'd call "full figured" ( pamphlets not Books) but Moving Comfort makes really good sports bras for BOOKish gals :D

Status
Not open for further replies.